Kerry woman convicted of false claims of rape by Pakistani man - what ought the sentence to be?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
An innocent was accused ....hospital resources used ... significant amount of Garda time wasted (~ two weeks of investigation before they tackled her) ... and she still brazened it out by claiming not guilty

That smells to me like a person who'd have been happy for an innocent to be jailed ... also her description of a “a Pakistani-looking” man ... whiffs of racism

Given the gravity - I think a custodial sentence of about 4 years fits

Woman guilty of false report of rape by
Jacinta O’Connor, of Steelroe, Killorglin had denied “knowingly” making a false report of a rape and wasting Garda time.
...gave a detailed account of being raped by “a Pakistani-looking” man in a green hoodie, at the rear of the town’s court house.
...next day made a formal lengthy statement describing in graphic and stark detail two vaginal rapes and one attempted anal rape.
...The man was interviewed under caution and denied having any sexual contact with her. He handed over the green hoodie and samples.
By October 4th, gardaí who harvested images from around 30 locations, felt they had spotted discrepancies in Ms O’Connor’s account.
cyp

NYCKY

An innocent was accused ....hospital resources used ... significant amount of Garda time wasted (~ two weeks of investigation before they tackled her) ... and she still brazened it out by claiming not guilty

That smells to me like a person who'd have been happy for an innocent to be jailed ... also her description of a “a Pakistani-looking” man ... whiffs of racism

cyp

Why do you think four years is a good fit?

cunnyfunt

cyp

4 yrs in a mens prison in Pakistan should do it.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Why do you think four years is a good fit?
The wasting of resources - combined with a person nearly deprived of their liberty - suggests towards 3 years needed

Also ... rather than subtract for early innocent plea ... I add for not guilty pleas - brining it to 4

cyp

Mercurial

A woman making an allegedly false accusation of rape, vs a brown man she had accused of being a rapist.

Which one will p.ie side with?

D

Deleted member 48908

The wasting of resources - combined with a person nearly deprived of their liberty - suggests towards 3 years needed

Also ... rather than subtract for early innocent plea ... I add for not guilty pleas - brining it to 4

cyp
You're gonna need a lot of salt.

EUrJokingMeRight

A woman making an allegedly false accusation of rape, vs a brown man she had accused of being a rapist.

The thread is about the problem of women faking rape. There are no 'sides' except right and wrong.

Faking rape is wrong.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com

Iarmuid

[video=youtube;zrzMhU_4m-g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g[/video]

NYCKY

Ah seriously?

She was the one who described him as "Pakistani looking",

Shown the images on October 10th, she withdrew her complaint and said she was sorry, she did have consensual sex with this man whom she knew, and had not been raped. It was rough sex , in an underground car park around four minutes from the courthouse car park, and she was upset and alone and had no way home, she said.
She made a demonstrably false accusation that without the available evidence could have found an innocent man guilty.

Who should p.ie side with?

Betson

The woman has admitted she made a false accusation , very clear to see who is in the wrong here.

Interestingly she also claimed the people in the sexual assault unit tried to tell her she was raped when she knew well she had not been raped

Mercurial

Ah seriously?

She was the one who described him as "Pakistani looking",

She made a demonstrably false accusation that without the available evidence could have found an innocent man guilty.

Who should p.ie side with?
Mea culpa - I misread it as "has denied" rather than "had denied".

I look forward to seeing the denizens of p.ie offer reasonable thoughts as to what the sentence should be for people convicted of such crimes, which totally won't descend into misogynistic conspiracy theories in three...two...one...

Betson

Mea culpa - I misread it as "has denied" rather than "had denied".

I look forward to seeing the denizens of p.ie offer reasonable thoughts as to what the sentence should be for people convicted of such crimes, which totally won't descend into misogynistic conspiracy theories in three...two...one...
She will get a suspended sentence , but it should be a custodial sentence of at least 12 months or so.

Iarmuid

You say that like it's some sort of large-scale problem, as opposed to a rare occurrence.
In the absence of evidence as to why the sentence was unduly lenient or harsh, would go with the Judges verdict.

EUrJokingMeRight

You say that like it's some sort of large-scale problem, as opposed to a rare occurrence.
Not so.

For crimes in general the rate of false reporting of crimes is 2%
For rape, the rate of false reporting is four times higher at 8%

So yes it is a large scale problem when almost one in ten rape claims are demonstrably false. As with anything else we can assume that the detection of false rape reports does not stand at 100%.

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
False rape claims , whereby the accuser confident asserts rape, knowing it to be false - seem likely to be low in number

As with all crimes ... statistics are tricky ... and rape, for many reasons, is amongst the trickier of crimes to get accurate data on

My expectation is, that excluding heat of the moment allegations, that fake claims are well less than 5% of those presented to the authorities

This woman's false claims have cuased specific harm (resource loss, the falsely accused) - as well as the more general harm of causing genuine rape vicitims to be more likely to be disbelieved

I'd consider the statistical murk on this area an aggravating factor

cyp

EUrJokingMeRight

False rape claims , whereby the accuser confident asserts rape, knowing it to be false - seem likely to be low in number

As with all crimes ... statistics are tricky ... and rape, for many reasons, is amongst the trickier of crimes to get accurate data on

My expectation is, that excluding heat of the moment allegations, that fake claims are well less than 5% of those presented to the authorities

This woman's false claims have cuased specific harm (resource loss, the falsely accused) - as well as the more general harm of causing genuine rape vicitims to be more likely to be disbelieved

I'd consider the statistical murk on this area an aggravating factor

cyp
Cyp the figure is 8% as I posted.

Felixness

Falsely accusing someone of rape is an horrendous thing to do, the accused man loses his reputation and his privacy, there's often a public backlash against his family and sometimes a ''no smoke without fire'' mentality persists even when someone is found not guilty. This horrible women should be sentenced to the same amount of jail time that he would have served if he'd been sent to prison. But she'll get a suspended sentence or community service.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies