Kevin Myers accuses Eamon O Cuiv of "sinister third reich stuff"

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Twice on Newstalk moments ago Irish Independent columnist Kevin Myers accused Fianna Fail Donegal South West Campaign Manager Eamon O Cuiv of engaging in "sinister third reich stuff".

Myers was responding to Newstalk Lunchtime presenter Damien Kiberd's questioning over O Cuiv's reported remarks at the Donegal South West selection convention on Sunday night. The remarks where reported by Myers own paper - but he said on air he hadn't heard them until Kiberd repeated them back Myers. The remarks were reported in Myers own newspaper yesterday.

There are those who want to get rid of the Catholic Church, the GAA and Fianna Fail.
Eamon O Cuiv as reported in the Irish Independent.

Myers was on to talk about his column today: Kevin Myers: FF doesn't aim high because it understands moral mediocrity - Kevin Myers, Columnists - Independent.ie

Fianna Fail is like an alcoholic mother ... Membership of this party of heroes and cute hoors will automatically get you favours that are microcosms of the party's essence: thus your TD will get you the planning permission to build a monstrous bungalow in the glen that is the only reason tourists come to your area. .... For Fianna Fail intuitively understands the moral mediocrity of most people's souls, and doesn't try to aim too high in deed.
During the Newstalk interview with Damien Kiberd Myers says he believed Fianna Fail's candidate would win the seat in Donegal South West, in his article this morning he seemed to suggest he thought the opposite.

Yes, sure, Fianna Fail might well come an electoral cropper in Donegal, and again in the General Election, but we know where they stand in the longer run; where they always do.

Clanrickard

Heard it as well. O'Cuiv is some gobshyte. It is this primitive simplistic drivel that has the country the way it is. The sad bit is he wouldn't be saying it unless he knew there were knuckle draggers in Donegal who believe.

B

Boggle

There are those who want to get rid of the Catholic Church, the GAA and Fianna Fail.
What an a$$hole - trying to lump the fate of FF in with the fate of the GAA.

Do people actually fall for these lies?

By the way, the Catholic church needs a reality check, FF need to be destroyed but I admire the GAA. Big difference.

constitutionus

loved the bit later on in the article from cowan talking abou those "recently converted to the democratic process"

considering it took a court case to get this election i presume he's talking about himself !

:)

in the o cuive thing.

what do you expect from a thick culchie ?

dent

Vianna Vail shall last vor 1000 years !

Was Myers trying to be similarly apocalyptic as Morgan Kelly's article ?

FG & Labour have a huge chance to create generational change and make FF's (hopefully) vastly reduced post-election number of seats a permanent feature, by doing the right thing when they get into power.

blackpitts

I don't often agree with Myers but I noticed O'Cuiv's comment in the report yesterday and thought something similar, although it was Franco's fascists who sprung to mind. It also struck me as a very outmoded way of looking at what it is to be Irish.

Warren Poynt

Nobody I know wants to "get rid of " The Catholic Church. For all its faults, and there are many, the basic message of the Catholic Church and other Christian churches is a good one - love, forgiveness, tolerance and reconcilation etc.

And the GAA, with a number of exceptions, has played and continues to play a very worthwhile role in this country. We are lucky to have it.

But what he is dead right about is that many, many people in this country wish to see FF banished from playing any further role in the corruption of Irish politics, the destruction of our economy and the wrecking of our society.

But why should anyone be surprised by Dev Og's attempt to compare the most corrupt political party in the history of the State with the other two institutions ?

This from a man who can't even spell his own name correctly.

Minister for Social Protection, how are yeh...............more like Minister for Social Destruction.

Away with you into the wilderness and repent !

goosebump

"There are those who want to get rid of the Catholic Church, the GAA and Fianna Fail."

That would be a good day.

Libero

I don't often agree with Myers but I noticed O'Cuiv's comment in the report yesterday and thought something similar, although it was Franco's fascists who sprung to mind. It also struck me as a very outmoded way of looking at what it is to be Irish.
Relax. Franco's fascists largely believed their own publicity, and during the civil war they were facing an enemy that, at least in part, had it in for the Catholic Church and traditional social values.

I doubt Ó Cúiv is using this kind of comment other than as rabble-rousing rhetoric. He doesn't really believe it, and neither do his followers, but it allows them to roar and whoop and pretend they're engaged in some sort of righteous ideological struggle, as the guardians of the soul of Éireann.

Twin Towers

Apparently this is what FF are canvassing and telling people in Donegal. A vote for anyone else is unpatriotic.

Libero

Apparently this is what FF are canvassing and telling people in Donegal. A vote for anyone else is unpatriotic.
Source?

I've seen Ó Cúiv in action in small town Galway, and he's cute enough to know that as a canvassing line, that's pretty sh-t. Then again, what else can they say in the pubs and doorsteps? It's just not credible to promise that constituency goodies can be delivered by a junior TD arriving at the arse-end of a lame-duck administration.

Skrynesaver

Personally I have no desire to see the end of the GAA, however the day neither Fianna Fail nor the Catholic church are involved in the design, management or delivery of services in this country cannot come too soon.

As they have none of our cash left with which to bribe us FF are goners at this election.

eyelight

There are those who want to get rid of the Catholic Church, the GAA and Fianna Fail
Bring it on. Yes that would be great for Ireland. I hate all three.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Par for the course. Was'nt Mary Coughlan spouting that "Nobody understands rural Ireland like Fianna Fail". They love this De Valera-style BS.

Fed Up

Par for the course. Was'nt Mary Coughlan spouting that "Nobody understands rural Ireland like Fianna Fail". They love this De Valera-style BS.
To be fair, nobody does understand the Irish like FF. FF understand all too well that the majority of voters are idiots, content so long as they have the premiership, x-factor, a few pints and don't have to go through the hassle of applying for passports themselves.

Its getting to the point where one side of me wants the IMF to come in and wreak havoc on public spending so people might* actually start to look beyond tomorrow when deciding to to vote for.

* I fully acknowledge my wild and unfounded optimism.

Halo

Personally I have no desire to see the end of the GAA, however the day neither Fianna Fail nor the Catholic church are involved in the design, management or delivery of services in this country cannot come too soon.

As they have none of our cash left with which to bribe us FF are goners at this election.

But many of the hardcore voters of fianna fail believe that fianna fail is the party of nationalistic ireland, the embodiment of all things supposedly irish, the gaa catholic church, republicanism language etc

This has come around as a direct result of labour and fg conceding all the nationalistic patriotic grounds and rights to fianna fail. Why i dont know.

I also cant understand why fg dont encourage sinn fein more, bring them into the debate and treat them as a more serious party because crazy as it sounds i think they're the only party with a chance to break into that hardcore ff vote. Just a thought by the way.

flavirostris

O'Cuiv is basically saying that FF is part of a sacred triumverate representing traditional Ireland which is under attack.

The sound you can hear is the bottom of the barrel being scraped

New Threads

Most Replies