• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

shutuplaura

This is the then Chair of the Fine Gael Parliamentary Party Phil Hogan in 2002 libeling Nora Wall AND an unnamed senior official in Dept of Education (whose colleagues knew who he was)

Details were given in the Dáil last night about a retired senior official in the Department of Education who is alleged to have been involved in a Dublin-based child sex ring. At the time he was supposed to be investigating alleged child sex abuse. Fine Gael chairman Mr Phil Hogan gave details last night about the official, who retired some years ago and who "has been implicated by a victim in a rent-a-boy sex ring with convicted killer Malcolm McArthur"....
The official "is the golden thread weaving through a number of centres where children were in some cases tortured and forced to have sex with animals".

I understand the reason Phil libeled this official is because he had given a good inspection report to the Sisters of Mercy child-care centre where Nora worked. And the media did nothing except briefly report his allegations - NO demand for an investigation OR for Phil Hogan to apologise for his lunatic claims. But 18 years later the same media goes hysterical over Golfgate and forces his resignation as EU Commissioner.

The viciousness and irresponsibility of the Irish media is NOT a minor issue.
I think you are reaching. Nora Wall was convicted wrongly, released and had her good name restored. She went on to sue successfully at least one newspaper.

Sidewindered

MyArse spent his entire career undermining the Irish nation and shilling for hostile foreign interests - him and all the rest of the Revisionist gang had a hugely corrosive effect on the Republic's democracy for many decades and arguably prolonged the Troubles by at least a decade.

I don't know the details of the case that led to him being fired and frankly I don't care.

The treacherous little runt should never have been given a platform in the first place.

fat finger

For Myers, the only embarrassment will be how his career was temporarily halted by the inevitable knee jerk whining of self pitying windbag Vanessa Feltz, most of his readers will still be wondering what exactly was written in THAT article that warranted sacking him, but it wasn't just Myers who suffered, it was also the staff of Sunday Times Ireland whose sales plummeted quite rightly after the sacking as readers finally woke up to the journalism-free zone that that paper has become

McTell

had Myers ' Anything to say about freedom of speech', during the long years, when Section 31 was in operation ?

Good question. He was in the north at the time? His mother's people were from tyrone, iirc.

Very few of us questioned s.31, becos of a feeling that it would be the usual self serving guff. We already had plenty of pols spewing out non-violent self serving guff.

artfoley56

had Myers ' Anything to say about freedom of speech', during the long years, when Section 31 was in operation ?
Didn't he resign from RTE over it?

Glenshane4

I think you are reaching. Nora Wall was convicted wrongly, released and had her good name restored. She went on to sue successfully at least one newspaper.
The people who gave false evidence to get her convicted were never brought to trial for perjury.

There was no disciplinary action taken against the people responsible for withholding information from the defense team.

Nor was disciplinary action taken against the people responsible for calling a witness in contravention of the direction from the Director of Prosecutions.

Nor has anyone explained why the only woman in the history of the State to be convicted of rape was also the only person convicted of rape to be sentenced to life imprisonment. Nor have any of the feminists demanded an explanation for that "coincidence" - probably because Nora Wall had been a nun. Are any of the feminists or "Liberals" not anti-Catholic? I merely ask.

Paddyc

MyArse spent his entire career undermining the Irish nation and shilling for hostile foreign interests - him and all the rest of the Revisionist gang had a hugely corrosive effect on the Republic's democracy for many decades and arguably prolonged the Troubles by at least a decade.

I don't know the details of the case that led to him being fired and frankly I don't care.

The treacherous little runt should never have been given a platform in the first place.
All you need know is that he was fired by that bunch of woke lefties at the Sunday Times which is owned by (checks notes) that champion of woke feminism, Rupert Murdoch.

That's what makes it so funny.

shutuplaura

The people who gave false evidence to get her convicted were never brought to trial for perjury.

There was no disciplinary action taken against the people responsible for withholding information from the defense team.

Nor was disciplinary action taken against the people responsible for calling a witness in contravention of the direction from the Director of Prosecutions.

Nor has anyone explained why the only woman in the history of the State to be convicted of rape was also the only person convicted of rape to be sentenced to life imprisonment. Nor have any of the feminists demanded an explanation for that "coincidence" - probably because Nora Wall had been a nun. Are any of the feminists or "Liberals" not anti-Catholic? I merely ask.
Connecting Kevin Myers treatment to Nora Wall's is a bit of a stretch. Anyway, these things happen. They are two events seperated by two decades. Hardly a worrying trend.

Sweet Darling

Yes. He exercises his right and it cost him his job. It happens. Strictly speaking he was hard done by in this case but because of his history of pushing the limits of acceptability, he didn't have anyone to really fight his corner. So it goes. It doesn't mean that a cornerstone of democracy is suddenly at risk.

I think it was much more serious what Michael McDowell did to Frank Connelly.

D

Deleted member 51790

Kevin Myers was "canceled" by the British ruling class, its that simple. I have not listened to a word he has said recently or read a page of his new book but i would put my life on the fact that he is blaming Irish people and the left for what happened to him.

No one in Ireland cared what he said about the two British Jewish TV presenters. If the Brits had not reacted then he would have carried on abusing people through his weekly column. Kevin Myers bit the hand that fed him and they didn't like it. He should have stuck to abusing the weaker and poorer members of Irish society and he would have been grand.

A Voice

Kevin Myers was "canceled" by the British ruling class, its that simple. I have not listened to a word he has said recently or read a page of his new book but i would put my life on the fact that he is blaming Irish people and the left for what happened to him.

No one in Ireland cared what he said about the two British Jewish TV presenters. If the Brits had not reacted then he would have carried on abusing people through his weekly column. Kevin Myers bit the hand that fed him and they didn't like it. He should have stuck to abusing the weaker and poorer members of Irish society and he would have been grand.
He was on newstalk yesterday whining about his awful fate at the hands of "the twitter mob". A man who insulted Ireland on a weekly basis within the cosy confines of his Irish Slimes column. Good riddance, Mr. MyArse.

carlovian

He was on newstalk yesterday whining about his awful fate at the hands of "the twitter mob". A man who insulted Ireland on a weekly basis within the cosy confines of his Irish Slimes column. Good riddance, Mr. MyArse.
Heres Kevin going after the hard target of the children of single mothers back in 2005.

Such a loss to journalism.

Golah veNekhar

Yes indeed he is blaming the "Left" without defining it- there is actually something of a real spectrum on the British Left- however the Campaign Against Antisemitism is most definitely NOT on the Left and a lot of people involved in it could even be considered Hard Right. If the Left in Britain had gone after him it would be most likely for his sickening comment which said it would be great if most or even all sub-Saharan died of AIDS, and to be honest even though I have no respect for the rules of "PC" that comment was actually disgustingly evil and something you would think only a drunken actual neo-Nazi bonehead would come out with.

Sweet Darling

Myers stepped on the toes of the PC Nazi's to many times. He wrote articles on the likes of unmarried mothers, hate by the left of Israel etc that made him enemies with the middleclass plastic lefties that infest the media in Ireland. Even the Jewish council of Ireland who did not consider his remarks about Jewish flair for business a mortal sin. The negative publicity give the lefties their opportunity to remove a free thinker.

D

Deleted member 51790

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
Myers stepped on the toes of the PC Nazi's to many times. He wrote articles on the likes of unmarried mothers, hate by the left of Israel etc that made him enemies with the middleclass plastic lefties that infest the media in Ireland. Even the Jewish council of Ireland who did not consider his remarks about Jewish flair for business a mortal sin. The negative publicity give the lefties their opportunity to remove a free thinker.
He was removed by wealth and powerful people in the UK when he wrote an offensive article about two prominent British Jewish presenters. He was immediately summoned to appear on the BBC radio first thing Monday morning to answer questions about what he wrote. After the BBC interview those wealthy and powerful people picked up the phone to the British newspaper that employed him and told them his position was to be terminated.

There was no twitter mob. If he had continued to abuse less well off Irish people he would be still employed.

After his paymasters in Britain exiled him he had no work and no profile. That was not because he was "canceled" by Irish people or the "Irish Leftists", it was because nobody other than his previous employer was interested in paying him to write obnoxious pieces about Irish people or provide him with a platform to do so. Law of supply and demand, there was no demand for what Kevin was supplying.

His self pitying attempt to paint himself as some sort of "martyr" in the "cancel culture" debate between "left" and "right" or being hounded out by an "Irish leftist twitter mob" is an attempt to prove to the toxic rightwing section of Irish/British society that he has a value as some gas lighting "free speech" warrior. No one was even using the phrase "canceled" when Kevins wealthy British employers sacked him.

He served his purpose, he bit the hand that fed him and he was dispatched like a piece of trash by his betters. No one to blame for it but himself.

Levellers

The negative publicity give the lefties their opportunity to remove a free thinker.
He was never a free thinker. He was employed to protect the status quo. Because the powerful applauded him on attacking their chosen targets he lost the run of himself thinking he was some kind of guru bur found out very quickly he was disposable.

Golah veNekhar

It came from the Campaign Against Antisemitism- the same "Lefties" who led the charge against Corbyn.

Buchaill Dana

The 'lefties' did hee haw. He got fired from the Indo and by Murdoch.

Buchaill Dana

It matters because free speech matters. If you don't defend free speech for people like Myers (and the blatant distortion of his remarks in order to deny him his livelihood), you don't believe in free speech at all.
He had his free speech. His article was published. However free speech can have consequences. It was an objectively misogynistic and anti semetic piece. His employers also have freedom to didpense with his services.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom