Kevin Myers kills his own career...

Rural

He's an entertaining read often, though I don't very think we share even one view.

Was the article pulled called "Sorry, ladies - equal pay has to be earned"? I'd like to have read it.?
This is a .gif of it if that helps.

[/URL][/IMG]

ger12

cunnyfunt

We've been used to reading Kevin Myers' attention-seeking, 'I'm so controversial' contrarianism and self-promotion for many years now. Irish nationalists are the usual target, but now he has pissed off Jewish people too - and it has even made the BBC

Sunday Times removes 'anti-Semitic' column on BBC pay - Sunday Times removes 'anti-Semitic' column on BBC pay - BBC News

I hadn't heard before that he also denied the holocaust some years back. Any info on that?

His goose might finally be cooked. My heart bleeds...
We must silence those we oppose. :roll:

D

Deleted member 17573

Not a good comparison because the Irish have never been persecuted using any stereotype about money grabbing. If he said the Irish were all well paid because they're all evil terrorists who will set off bombs if they don't get paid enough, you'd probably see quite a bit of fuss about it. Or if he said Irish presenters were well paid because they're a pack of drunks who need a lot of money to feed their habit.
It's not stereotyping to say that Jews are, shall we say, tough negotiators and do not spend money carelessly. I know that because I have done business with Jewish companies, I got on well with them, formed some good relationships, but they were dog rough to negotiate with. What has been your experience of them?

statsman

An utter gobshyte, always has been, always will be.

Congalltee

If he was speaking about Graham Norton's pay and wrote:
"Gays are not generally noted for their insistence on selling their talent for the lowest possible price..."

would it be less offensive? (But what if a rabid "republican" added "Cork
Protestants..."?)

Strawberry

It's not stereotyping to say that Jews are, shall we say, tough negotiators and do not spend money carelessly. I know that because I have done business with Jewish companies, I got on well with them, formed some good relationships, but they were dog rough to negotiate with. What has been your experience of them?
You're missing the point. See below.

Mushroom

If he had said that Irish presenters are well paid because the Irish drive a hard bargain when it comes to pay, would there be the same fuss? I think not, I suspect we'd be mildly chuffed about it.
Ah, but UK Jews are - to use a mixed-metaphor - sacred cows.

That's why Red Ken is in so much hot water with the UK left.

Kevin picked the wrong target for his silly and offensive jibe. Although I'd be more inclined to blame Frank Fitzgibbon for bringing it to the attention of a wider audience.

Strawberry

If he was speaking about Graham Norton's pay and wrote:
"Gays are not generally noted for their insistence on selling their talent for the lowest possible price..."

would it be less offensive? (But what if a rabid "republican" added "Cork
Protestants..."?)
Excellent example. The stars in Heaven would weep before Kevin Myers would say such a thing about Cork Protestants, so maybe he shouldn't be saying it about anybody else either.

Mushroom

Bea C

We've been used to reading Kevin Myers' attention-seeking, 'I'm so controversial' contrarianism and self-promotion for many years now. Irish nationalists are the usual target, but now he has pissed off Jewish people too - and it has even made the BBC

Sunday Times removes 'anti-Semitic' column on BBC pay - Sunday Times removes 'anti-Semitic' column on BBC pay - BBC News

I hadn't heard before that he also denied the holocaust some years back. Any info on that?

His goose might finally be cooked. My heart bleeds...
Kevin is a repulsive human.
But he's a very talented writer, he can be massively entertaining.
One of the best metaphors that I have ever encountered in any writing ever was his description in his Irishman's Diary of modern churches of recent decades in urban areas: 'concrete wigwams'.
I laughed for about twenty minutes on reading that.
It is just so perfect.

ger12

This is a .gif of it if that helps.

[/URL][/IMG]
Am I anti-Semitic because I don't believe they should have pulled that opinion piece though I wouldn't agree with the opinion expressed?

devoutcapitalist

Kevin is a repulsive human.
But he's a very talented writer, he can be massively entertaining.
One of the best metaphors that I have ever encountered in any writing ever was his description in his Irishman's Diary of modern churches of recent decades in urban areas: 'concrete wigwams'.
I laughed for about twenty minutes on reading that.
It is just so perfect.
Well then he's right about the Churches in Ireland that have been built Post Vatican Two, many of the churches that were built are very badly designed.

GDPR

Anybody who doesn't support him on this is trash of the most poisonous kind.

D

Deleted member 17573

Am I anti-Semitic because I don't believe they should have pulled that opinion piece though I wouldn't agree with the opinion expressed?
Yup. Always had my suspicions about you.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom