• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Kevin O'Higgins memorial plaque vandalised in Booterstown

borntorum

Reports this evening that the memorial plaque to Free State Minister Kevin O'Higgins, which was unveiled last year by Taoiseach Enda Kenny at the spot where he was assassinated by the IRA in 1927, has been vandalised.

From Barry Ward's (FG) Twitter:

Disgusted to see that the Kevin O'Higgins memorial plaque was vandalised last week. @dlrcc has ordered a replacement.

O'Higgins has a deservedly controversial reputation, being allegedly responsible for up to 77 executions of Republicans during the Civil War. But I would hope that all reasonable people, whatever their politics, would not support the desecration of his memorial plaque.

an modh coinniolach

I assume it was the historians wot done this, just like the one in Cork?

slippy wicket

I condemn this as assuredly as I did the actions of the drunken lunatic in cork.
It's not funny or cool, it's just thuggish anti social behaviour.

slippy wicket

Perhaps they should use a better or thicker piece of stone, the one in the picture seems very thin to me.

oggy

Didnt know the memorial existed and shocked that FG had the nerve to erect one to that evil man. Amazed it has lasted so long and that a sledgehammer wasnt taken to it and wrecked it completely

Sync

Republicans thugs?
Or it could be mindless vandalism, or a fan of one of the other parties. There's a few possibilities. Happily no one on this thread is stupid enough to just assign blame without evidence.

White Horse

Can people not respect each others rights to commemorate their dead?

shutuplaura

No liking for the guy but this stuff isn't on. Kids I would assume, or some attention seeking eejit. I hope it is replaced asap.

bogtrotter

It is wrong to vandalise monuments to our dead whether they be heroes or traitors...O'Higgins was a nasty piece but I condemn those who stoop to this level.

borntorum

Or it could be mindless vandalism, or a fan of one of the other parties. There's a few possibilities. Happily no one on this thread is stupid enough to just assign blame without evidence.
I agree.

Though obviously it was picador :rolleyes:

feet first

Didnt know the memorial existed and shocked that FG had the nerve to erect one to that evil man. Amazed it has lasted so long and that a sledgehammer wasnt taken to it and wrecked it completely
Well Og, I have to admit that it is difficult to argue with that stream of logic,

MY only observation is that you must be a lot older than we all thought, if the Late late Kevin O Higgins done you such a vile disservice that you after all these years you feel so strongly about it.

Or else you have been reared on a diet of Hypricocry and topped off with a second course of ignorance.

Heligoland

Barry Ward? Is he the guy who got his master's paid for? Or is that someone else from Fine Gael?

johnny365

They were queueing up to assign blame without evidence in a similar incident in Cork.

oggy

Well Og, I have to admit that it is difficult to argue with that stream of logic,

MY only observation is that you must be a lot older than we all thought, if the Late late Kevin O Higgins done you such a vile disservice that you after all these years you feel so strongly about it.

Or else you have been reared on a diet of Hypricocry and topped off with a second course of ignorance.
You think you are smart there and the man could be a hero to you but I happen to condemn brutal murder whatever the reason

APettigrew92

Perhaps they should use a better or thicker piece of stone, the one in the picture seems very thin to me.
It's a crap piece of masonry on top of an even less sturdy wall by the looks of it. Unbelievable that. If you're going to commemorate a party hero, at least name a rundown train station after him.

Recession Commemorations, no doubt.

baldur0300

You think you are smart there and the man could be a hero to you but I happen to condemn brutal murder whatever the reason
We don't destroy each others monuments and memorials. We just don't.

Sync

They were queueing up to assign blame without evidence in a similar incident in Cork.
That was just one person I recall. My statement remains.