Kildare North

Nick Leeson

I noticed that the other Kildare threads I created are still left out on their own.

Anyways...

I saw on the Week in Politics last night that Coveney said Scully was a candidate for Kildare North.

Is this true? I thought they hadn't picked candidates yet?

I wonder what Tony Lawlor has to say about this...

scheister

the convension has not been held as far as i know. But wud make sense that durkan and scully are the tickets. Rather then running a cold person. There is a seat up here for grabs. The 2nd FF one it will most likey go to murphy but scully has been building up a base so i would think he has a better hope of getting it then lawlor

kittykat

FG Convention

Any word on the FG big night?

Nick Leeson

Any word on the FG big night?
Spoke to a few people about this around Naas and nobody knows.

But it looks like Scully will be the candidate going by his recent media appearance. I suppose in fairness, he'll be in with a good shot. He did pretty well in 2007, especially in Naas town.

Also I heard that James Lawless in FF gave the speech at Bodenstown last week. Is he next in line behind Fitzpatrick and Brady? If there's an election soon and Fitzpatrick isn't fit enough to run, they'll also probably be looking to select candidates soon.

sandar

well laless would have hte same general geographic base as fitzpatrick, and would also pull in votes from naas town.
Scully woud #ld also have naas town

the agent

heard a story from a pretty good source, Brady (FF) will not be standing in the next election. lets see what happens.

Nemi_

Dang, I was so looking forward to putting her at the bottom of the ballot paper.

LgCastell

If brady and fitz didn't run that'd leave FF with alot of ground to make up who would they run instead?

Durkan should be returned .what are skullys chances here he was close last time out he shud get in

are the rumours of Staggs retirement founded at all? who would take over the lab reins to run for a seat? in areas where they have one seat eg wicklow and uptons area are they still running two or one?

this constituency could be very interesting is three out of 4 tds were retiring

kittykat

are the rumours of Staggs retirement founded at all? who would take over the lab reins to run for a seat? in areas where they have one seat eg wicklow and uptons area are they still running two or one?

this constituency could be very interesting is three out of 4 tds were retiring
McGinley already selected to run with Stagg. Have heard stories of him canvassing activly in north of KN.

The delay in FG selection would seem to suit Lawlor over Scully as his supporters become eligable to vote so I understand. Personally reckon running Lawlor will gift a seat to Murphy.

If the Brady(Kitt) rumour is correcty then KN will be an FF free zone post the election with LP certain of 2 & FG probably also on 2 but with Murphy close.
Nationally that type of retirement would leave FF on 22-26 seats on current polling :shock2:

cricket

A source ( admittedly Labour ) assures me that McGinley is in a very strong position.

the agent

If FF run 1 candidate they will be guarenteed a seat, at least 20% of the kildare north population are sheep.

Rochey

There was a time when Kildare North was the only constituency without FF representation when McCreevy left for Europe.

I think FF could struggle here to hold onto to 1 seat even with Brady in. She isn't that popular, hasn't been great in the media of late and didn't have that county council base to begin with. If they wind up bringing in a fresh face they're in serious trouble.

At the moment I'd predict 2 for FG, 1 Lab and 1 Ind (Murphy). Although Labour could be a bet for two here.

the agent

There was a time when Kildare North was the only constituency without FF representation when McCreevy left for Europe.

I think FF could struggle here to hold onto to 1 seat even with Brady in. She isn't that popular, hasn't been great in the media of late and didn't have that county council base to begin with. If they wind up bringing in a fresh face they're in serious trouble.

At the moment I'd predict 2 for FG, 1 Lab and 1 Ind (Murphy). Although Labour could be a bet for two here.
Interesting times ahead, If the rumour is true with both FF TD's stepping down in the next GE, they will have it tough to win a seat, but it is hard to see them not getting at least a quota, they will have to decide if they run 1 or 2. Labour will easily have a quota, but McGinley is no spring chicken and unheard off in the South of the constituency. Murphy will not have it easy either, very crowded up her neck of the woods, will be fighting for the last seat. FG again easily over a quota, but to pick up a second seat will depend on who gets the nod for convention, Durkan will be there as the sitting TD, but if Lawlor gets in ahead of Scully (I hear he has loaded his branch in Kill with members) then FG will have it much harder to win 2 seats.

Rochey

Interesting times ahead, If the rumour is true with both FF TD's stepping down in the next GE, they will have it tough to win a seat, but it is hard to see them not getting at least a quota, they will have to decide if they run 1 or 2. Labour will easily have a quota, but McGinley is no spring chicken and unheard off in the South of the constituency. Murphy will not have it easy either, very crowded up her neck of the woods, will be fighting for the last seat. FG again easily over a quota, but to pick up a second seat will depend on who gets the nod for convention, Durkan will be there as the sitting TD, but if Lawlor gets in ahead of Scully (I hear he has loaded his branch in Kill with members) then FG will have it much harder to win 2 seats.
I was suprised to hear that there was even a question about Scully not being Durkan's running mate. He's been around a while, has a high profile. It would be a mistake on FG's part not to nominate him.

I know what you're saying about FF, to go from 2 seats to 0 is almost unthinkable but then again with the party down at 18% and (if Brady steps down) no stalwart to represent them, they'll be battling for Seat 4. If Brady does run they would have to be favourites to take a seat but still no shoo-in.

scheister

there are 3 people nominated for the FG convention Durkan Scully and Lawlor

Crannog

SF are having there convention next week only one name going forward as far as i know Martin Kelly from Sallins. Good local lad with the eye on the council elections. This time last year there was no SF organisation in North kildare now there a 3 active cumann 2 based in the Naas ward.

Has been on the ground canavassing this past 3 months should be interesting what this newbie pulls out of the Naas area.

the agent

SF are having there convention next week only one name going forward as far as i know Martin Kelly from Sallins. Good local lad with the eye on the council elections. This time last year there was no SF organisation in North kildare now there a 3 active cumann 2 based in the Naas ward.

Has been on the ground canavassing this past 3 months should be interesting what this newbie pulls out of the Naas area.
never heard off him, did he run in the locals in 09?? kildare north would be a poor hunting ground for sf, but maybe he wants to build profile for 2014 locals.

JMcGynty

If Darragh Fitzpatrick runs he will probably hold his fathers seat, Michael Fitz is very popular and Darragh is a hard worker

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies