• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Kildare Nth

gaeler

Forget about Cork Sw and Limerick W, the next by election is going to be Kildare Nth after poor charlie is thrown to the infidels in Brussels!!

Nth Kildare is the ultimate belle fair constituency and the result should echo or mirror the national mood very well!It's a heady mixture of urban, rural and suburban and with Charlie gone, F would have no guarantee of holding onto their seat in any by election. FG and the Grns both polled well in the LE with Lab struggling and the PD's being annhilated and a very strong independent vote electing indo's in 3 out of the 4 wards.

The likely contenders are going to be

FF - Conway, Kelly or Charlie Jnr
FG - Ridge, Griffin

sean15

A workmate of mine said she was canvassed by Ridge in Celbridge,she had her prame and kid with her.

She was run out of the estate as many of her neighbours were annoyed with her using a kid to get votes.She laid off using her own kid to get votes I m delighted to hear.

She also said that she wouldnt have much time for the council,with being a barrister/sol from home and looking after kids all day.

A loss to celbridge her election

ib32

A workmate of mine said she was canvassed by Ridge in Celbridge,she had her prame and kid with her.

She was run out of the estate as many of her neighbours were annoyed with her using a kid to get votes.She laid off using her own kid to get votes I m delighted to hear
Don't know much about her, definitely not a fg supporter, but shame on anyone who would run someone out of an estate because she had her kid with her.

borderlinegenius

You don't know anything about it, but you'll be damned if that will stop you finding something to be morally outraged about. Bravo!

apkavanagh

Two words, one name...Catherine Murphy.
Expect her to outpoll Kelly in Leixlip, to take a good chunk of Stagg's usual vote in the absence of a serious Labour candidate, and then to draw in practically all the planning-issue based votes and the non-FF transfers as the count proceeds. The fact that the contest will be based on the 2002 constituency boundaries will also help her.
Paddy Power taking odds on this? Could do with a few quid before Christmas!

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Catherine Murphy, whilst very popular, is particularly unknown out of the Leixlip/Maynooth ward. A former DL candidate who got ousted in favour of Stagg when the Lab/DL love-in got jiggy.

My thoughts (and as a person who recently moved from Kildare North to D4), is that Kelly (FF) is odds on to win the seat in Kildare North. Not sure about who FG and Lab will field, but they will be unknown considering both Labour and FG both only put forward one candidate in the elections.

I'm not going to even consider the PDs in this race, If I was a betting man, I'd be sceptical about Sen. Walsh going forward and based on the party's piss-poor performance in the county in the locals, would probably not want to throw money into the wind.

With regards to sean15, perhaps if the state (FF and the PDs!) provided better (childcare) facilities in Celbridge, candidates wouldn't have to bring their children out canvassing. You'd criticise her for being a mother? I'd think you're being particularly petty, run out of the estate? Yeah, right!!

And lets not forget, Ridge came from nowhere to take the seat from the PDs. Campaigning on issues which the PDs paid absolutely no attention to for the years they sat on the County Council.

jblog

I agree with Dera's sentiments, if not his choice of language. Sean15 is a fantasist, who has made multiple claims on this site about Stephen O'Shea and YFG in Trinity in the past which turned out to be wholly untrue.

sean15

I stand by my YFG Trinity statements.

Celbridge have no interest in just what a work mate said to me.

As for a fantasist,maybe but then we are both fantasists Philip.

[Edited on 21/7/2004 by sean15]

jblog

Stephen O Shea was on the books of the YPDs will you can vouch Philip as you have/had access to YPD membership over the years.

Celbridge have no interest in just what a work mate said to me.

As for a fantasist,maybe but then we are both fantasists Philip.
Well, there never was a YPD branch in Kildare, so either (a) you're bluffing, or (b) he was involved in the Dublin branch, but seeing as I know several Kildare based people who were involved in Dublin I checked with them and they have never heard of anyone by that name in the party. I can't recall ever having access to a national register of YPD members, only a register for Cork members, which I handed over upon stepping down as Chair.

People in the TCD CSC have already rebutted your claims about the college, and the fact that there's a PD Society there now shows that your argument holds no weight.

geraghd

Which statements were those?
Was that in a very early thread bout a year ago re PD setting up?

gaelpol

McCreevy, though too pally with PDs like Harney, McDowell and Philip, was an excellent Minister and will be a big loss, but will be an excellent Commissioner, easily the best of the lot.
Paul Kelly will comfortably take the by-election seat; bring it on is what I say!
My prediction for by-election:
Kelly FF 45%
Griffin FG 15%
McNamara Lab 12%
Walsh PD 10%
Murphy Ind 8%
Fitzgerald Green 8%
Some SF guy 4%

gaeler

FG would be very unlikely to run Griffin as he shares a local base with Murphy and Kelly, both of whom outpolled him in the locals.

Also McCreevy's seat is a Naas based seat, and for tht reason alone, I'd expect FF to run someone based more centrally in the constituency, Michael Fitzpatrick, Charlie' constituency officer or Geraldine Conway spring to mind. Kelly has dirtied his bib both locally in Leixlip over certain planning issues and within the local FF machine. Don't expect to see him as the FF candidate.

FG will geographically end up running Ridge...those comments made earlier were a load of bullshit by the way...or Darren Scully the Naas UDC guy.

But I'd definitely agree Murphy is the lady to watch, especially if the Kildare Planning Alliance opt not to run one of their councillors.

BarryW

McCreevy, will be an excellent Commissioner, easily the best of the lot.
Paul Kelly will comfortably take the by-election seat; bring it on is what I say!
My prediction for by-election:
Kelly FF 45%
Another FFer away with the fairies.
How can you say he will be the best of the lot when we don't even know who the other Commissioners are yet!

Also: FF only got 43% in 2002 - on the back of a Government landslide, with the Minister for Finance on the ticket.
How do you expect them to get 45% in a bye-election ?!

FF got a mere 28.67% here in the Locals - with Kildare itself being by far the best result for them.

gaelpol

FF only got 43% in 2002 - on the back of a Government landslide, with the Minister for Finance on the ticket.
How do you expect them to get 45% in a bye-election ?!
In the GE FF are fighting for votes with strong vote getters like Stagg and even Durkan. Kelly or Fitzpatrick or Conway will be basically taking on Katie Walsh and yer wan Murphy and a FG and Lab 'unknown'. Less competition will mean a greater vote, QED.

geraghd

what bout someone outside the constituency??

Or a known but not politician.. A Mairead McGuiness-esque candidate?..