Kildare refuse to play 'home' fixture against Mayo in Croke Park, county board v corporate battle ensues

Orbit v2

It's not suitable for a game of this size. Ticket sales and health and safety come into play when you are testing the capacity of a venue for the first time.
I was at the O'Byrne cup match against Dublin there last time, the biggest crowd pulling team in the country and there was no health and safety concerns, and no problem. It's about ticket sales. They knew about the capacity issue after the draw. So, they knew about it before the draw. It's pure contempt by the money men that they think they can push the smaller counties around like this.

runwiththewind

It's not suitable for a game of this size. Ticket sales and health and safety come into play when you are testing the capacity of a venue for the first time.
Was there a health and safety issue at league games this year. Will there be a health and safety issue next year?

Levellers

I'm with Kildare on this one.

But the leadership of the GAA are obsessed with money and treat the organisation like government ministers do - that it is there to provide them with brown envelopes.

de valera's' giddy goat

Could this one go all the way to the Courts. I wouldn't be surprised.

automaticforthepeople

I reckon if Mayo turn up on Saturday and take to the field that if the ball is thrown in uncontested they'll still need at least 10 pass to make before they can score

Even with that said, I wouldn't be too confident they will score as they often choke in Croker. In those circumstances there will be no Kildare keeper to kick out so the match will likely be declared a draw,
Presumably Kildare will have to go to Castlebar for a replay.

Outlaw103

"Chair of the CCCC claims there could be 'animosity' among fans if Kildare-Mayo game went ahead at Newbridge"

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/chair-of-the-cccc-claims-there-could-be-animosity-among-fans-if-kildaremayo-game-went-ahead-at-newbridge-37050377.html

:lol::lol::lol:

Give over. They'd tell you black was white.

Project fear in full effect :lol::lol:

Kildare and Mayo fans giving Russia and England fans a run for their money!

Sounds like he's saying its no longer safe to bring the family to a GAA match with all these wandering groups of GAA hooligans.

What's the Irish word for hooligans?

shoneen

While I'd have some sympathy for the perennially disappointed Mayo fans who would not be able to go to the game, I really hope Kildare stick to their guns on this one. I train a club team at underage level and among our coaches, everyone supports the Kildare decision ... even a lad from Mayo. :)

Orbit v2

The Chairman of the GAA's Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) has said they came to the decision to host Kildare's Kildare's Round 3 qualifier with Mayo at Croke Park in the interest of fans in both counties.
Kildare seem to think sticking to the original plan is more in their interest, strangely. It's a joke for this to come out now. Were they just hoping that Kildare wouldn't get a home fixture?

The demand for the All Ireland final outstrips supply, not helped by HQ, lavishing tickets on all and sundry, other than genuine fans, left to beg on the streets of Dublin, and that doesn't cause any animosity between fans. Crowd of jokers.

carlovian

Tricky one as Newbridge isnt really suitable for a large crowd but Kildare did get drawn at home.

Gaa should have brought kildare in for a discussion yesterday instead of announcing venue before agreement.

Kildare have gone for not turning up option very quickly and its hard to see anyone backing down at this stage.

Outlaw103

Ok lets say Kildare get their way and the game is played in Newbridge.

Who are the GAA going to bring in for crowd control? Gardai or the Army?

Given that its Kildare and Mayo fans involved I would suggest the Army. We all know what happened the last time some people from those two counties couldn't get a ticket for a game. :lol::lol:

culmore

Kildare have always used Croke Park in the past for BIG home games whats different this time The Health and Safety of the Fans must come first , Mayo alone will have 10 to 15 thousand for this game

fifilawe

what penalties can GAA impose on KIldare if they turn up and togged out at their county grounds as laid down in the GAA rules for the Qualifiers matches drawn up by the Honchos in the GAA years ago(pre-SKY contract) ?
.Kildare will be playing by the rules laid down on paper sanctioned by the GAA years ago.It is the SKY deal that is the "motive to bend the rules" to suit the GAA not the local county branches.GAA will offer "compensation to Kildare" hoping it will be enough to persuade them to play at HQ.I can see promises of adding capacity and grants etc to Kildare to make it palatable for them to play in HQ and have shiny, stands and seating added to its County pitch in Newbridge.

Orbit v2

Kildare have always used Croke Park in the past for BIG home games whats different this time The Health and Safety of the Fans must come first , Mayo alone will have 10 to 15 thousand for this game
It's supposed to be their choice, not to have it imposed on them.

de valera's' giddy goat

The ground holds 8,500 all ticket or just below that. If someone shows up at the ground without a ticket demanding to be let in, then they are bringing their own health and safety into question. Can i walk up to Croke Park on an All-Ireland final day and demand to be let into see it without a ticket? That argument has no merit. No ticket, no travel

redneck

The only rule is that the GAA gets to make plenty of dosh, and there's all those empty seats in Croke Park to be dusted down. Only 40,000 there yesterday for a Leinster final.
40,000 was a great crowd.

cozzy121

Have the GAA made promises to SKY?/
Will they have to cover SKY's Cost for broadcasting from Kildare??

Betson

Quite possibly.

Its a miss on Kildare boards part as well....Waterford established last year that the changes to. the Munster hurling structures would not yield home games for them .
But Waterford were told in advance of the competition that their venue was not up to scratch to hold home championship matches , thus their very animated opposition to the new format Munster Championship Home/away before it was introduced , their chairman described it at the time as the worst decision ever in the history of the GAA. But the fact is they knew the state of play before a ball was pucked.

Kildare have already been drawn away twice and played those games away , now finally they have a home game and it has been taken away from them. Waterford knew and still know they will not have a home game until they redevelop Walsh Park.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies