Kildare SF councillor advocates "chain gang" of prisoners for public works.

Galloglass

Listening to Kildare local radio this week I was VERY surprised to hear that a local SF councillor has proposed that prisoners should be put to work doing something "useful" such as keeping the Curragh Plain free of litter and other work that council employees used to do.

While SF is becoming increasingly PC perhaps someone should have a word with Cool Hand Luke before it's too late?

Barna

Listening to Kildare local radio this week I was VERY surprised to hear that a local SF councillor has proposed that prisoners should be put to work doing something "useful" such as keeping the Curragh Plain free of litter and other work that council employees used to do.

While SF is becoming increasingly PC perhaps someone should have a word with Cool Hand Luke before it's too late?
Link or Zoo?
Terrible OP.

Therightroad

About time someone made these prisoners do something other than run their drug operations on mobiles as they enjoy the prison holiday camp culture that exists!!

OrderoftheDragon

when will he realise he is in the completely wrong party ? This is a party that doesn't want suspected Islamic terrorists deported from the country, because someone might make a "mistake".

Rather them that us.........sinn fein just to the left of communists.

realistic1

OMG New SF Eoin O'Brin, Lynn Boylan etc. will be making moves to have this Councillor removed. SF Nua have no time for plain talk and ideas that may make a real difference to Irish Citizens.

Accidental sock

I like "Chain Gang" by Sam Cook....and "Cool.Hand Luke" was a great movie....

So clearly, as an expert, I support the proposal of whoever he is..

Nobody can eat 50 eggs!

Dame_Enda

I have always supported the reintroduction of forced labour for violent crime and burglary. Orban correctly used them to build the fence I think.

It could save billions on road etc construction. It would also help equip prisoners with life skills for employment after they finish their sentence, reducing the chance of recidivism.

Truth.ie

First time I agreed with a Shinner in a long time.
Great idea, though I doubt he mention chain gangs as such. Did he?
Certainly, non dangerous prisoners in jail for non violent or threatening behavious should be used to clean our beaches, canals and forestation projects then returned to cell at night.

gerhard dengler

First time I agreed with a Shinner in a long time.
Great idea, though I doubt he mention chain gangs as such. Did he?
Certainly, non dangerous prisoners in jail for non violent or threatening behavious should be used to clean our beaches, canals and forestation projects then returned to cell at night.
I witnessed a chaingang in action in Florida.

Bakingly hot day, a group of men shackled together by their ankles working in a field clearing away gorse and scrub, in prison issue uniform.

Their overseer sat in the shade under a tree with a rifle close to hand. We asked him if he was not worried that they try to escape.
His reply "if they try to escape, I'll shoot them. If they manage to avoid my shot, the nearest village/town is at least 25 miles away. Besides in this heat (35 celsius and 95% humidity) they'd die without this (pointing to a laddle and a water barrel). They ain't goin' nowhere"

ON THE ONE ROAD

with jobbridge and chain gangs and c.e shceames and gateway and internships and all that will anyone get paid for their work in the future.

cricket

Cad é an gaeilge ar : "still shakin' the bush, boss" ?

Seanie Lemass

Dublin Provos used to shoot, beat up and evict local scum. The likes of o Broin are reaping the benefits of that.

Good to hear that at least one Shinner has survived the invasion of people who should really be in the Green Party or Labour.

Analyzer

It is a good idea. Put them on litter clean up duty. The can collect the syringes and rubbish that gets left in public places.

RasherHash

RasherHash

SFs new ridiculous Blairite positions needs to be highlighted . SF are getting to the point of 'rubbing the Irish public's noses in diversity'
I think the core of SF principles wrt issues like this is not diversity or multiculturalism but respect for the individual.

They've seen what happens when you treat the individual with disrespect and discrimination and that is why they take the approach they do.

New Threads

Most Replies