• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Kildare South - Kildare Area

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
There's a thread over here discussing the Athy LEA, so I thought I'd add a thread on its constituency partner.

At the moment, it's 3FF 2FG 1Lab, with three incumbent FF councillors set to go again, neither of the FG councillors from last time are on the ticket and a Labour councillor whose base has shifted into the new Athy LEA.

For now the runners are:

Fianna Fáil (pending convention but expected to go)
Cllr Pat Black
Cllr Fiona O'Loughlin
Cllr Suzanne Doyle
-rumours of a 4th Monasterevin-based candidate

Fine Gael
Cllr Micháel 'Spike' Nolan (co-opted 2007)
Tony O'Donnell
Mark Stafford

Independents
Newbridge Concerned Residents have said they intend to field candidates
Newbridge Town Councillors Paddy Kennedy and Murty Aspell may run

sandar

There's a thread over here discussing the Athy LEA, so I thought I'd add a thread on its constituency partner.

At the moment, it's 3FF 2FG 1Lab, with three incumbent FF councillors set to go again, neither of the FG councillors from last time are on the ticket and a Labour councillor whose base has shifted into the new Athy LEA.

For now the runners are:

Fianna Fáil (pending convention but expected to go)
Cllr Pat Black
Cllr Fiona O'Loughlin
Cllr Suzanne Doyle
-rumours of a 4th Monasterevin-based candidate

Fine Gael
Cllr Micháel 'Spike' Nolan (co-opted 2007)
Tony O'Donnell
Mark Stafford

Independents
Newbridge Concerned Residents have said they intend to field candidates
Newbridge Town Councillors Paddy Kennedy and Murty Aspell may run

Newbridge residnets group wont have a chance, a huge number of the people in town are from outside the area, it is a dormitory town so I would imagine it will be much more reflective of party allegiances and not personalities than the athy one

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
According to yesterday's Tribune, the Greens have selected John Hardt to run in the Kildare LEA. He's originally from Chicago but lives in Monasterevin.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Labour held their convention last Thursday and they have selected...

Cllr Francis Browne
Adrian Kane (the local SIPTU organiser)

That just leaves the FF ticket, which should be the outgoing councillors and one other.

Casualbets

Mark's based in Rathangan.
It would be hard to see him making an impression in that case as he is in FOL's backyard. Leo Conway suffered a similar fate in 2004.

The question for FG is whether Tony O'Donnell can retain Dukes' seat in Kildare town and similarly whether Spike Jnr can retain his seat in Newbridge. Of Course FG will take one and should take two, but they're not guaranteed the two - in 2004 they had only 1.5 quotas between 4 candidates...

Sorry, missed the update regarding Fra Browne... likely to be interesting times indeed then... Kane and Browne scrapping for the Labour seat and whichever gets elected will have an impact, especially in Newbridge...

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
I know Spike has been very active on the ground since his co-option, and should be fine (2FF in Newbridge would seem more vulnerable).

Where is Adrian Kane based?

Casualbets

I know Spike has been very active on the ground since his co-option, and should be fine (2FF in Newbridge would seem more vulnerable).

Where is Adrian Kane based?
He's now living in Newbridge apparently.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
One of the local papers mentioned that Sinn Féin had selected a candidate for the Kildare area. I can't find the article online, and SF don't have a list of selected candidates on their site so I'm not sure of his details.

Then again, they announced a Kildare South GE candidate in 2007 who failed to materialise so we'll have to wait and see.

Effin Effer!!!

It was decided two weeks before Christmas that Fianna Fail would only be running the three sitting councillors. There will be no fourth candidate added as interviews were held previous to this. Fianna Fail are not holding any conventions for the locals - nationwide! The three outgoing should do alright, and are expected to be able to hold their seats.

Stafford hasn't a snowballs chance in hell in Rathangan! Spike should hold the seat, and it will be a toss up between O'Donnell and Matt Lonergan (Ind.) from Monasterevin to see who takes the Dukes seat. That will be an interesting one as Lonergan did well last time out (only three first preferences votes behind Dukes, if memory serves me correctly) and ran Fine Gael to the wire for the seat (13th count). Both will have to rely heavily on transfers! This will be the one to watch for the dedicated tallyman out there.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
FG held their Newbridge TC convention on Wednesday and selected Michael 'Spike' Nolan and Emma Kiernan.

I think Labour have held theirs too, and selected two but I can't remember who they were.

It was decided two weeks before Christmas that Fianna Fail would only be running the three sitting councillors. There will be no fourth candidate added as interviews were held previous to this. Fianna Fail are not holding any conventions for the locals - nationwide! The three outgoing should do alright, and are expected to be able to hold their seats.

Stafford hasn't a snowballs chance in hell in Rathangan! Spike should hold the seat, and it will be a toss up between O'Donnell and Matt Lonergan (Ind.) from Monasterevin to see who takes the Dukes seat. That will be an interesting one as Lonergan did well last time out (only three first preferences votes behind Dukes, if memory serves me correctly) and ran Fine Gael to the wire for the seat (13th count). Both will have to rely heavily on transfers! This will be the one to watch for the dedicated tallyman out there.
Interesting analysis there Effin Effer. I think you underate Mark Stafford at your peril, he has a wide base and Cllr O'Loughlin won't be able to claim the title of local councillor when she has a credible opponent actually living in Rathangan. He's also getting some good media of late around the pressures on the local social welfare system.

As for Monasterevin, it'll be interesting to see if Matt Lonergan goes again. He did poll well last time, but he was the only candidate in the town and this time there will also be Hardt and maybe an independent FF run. There isn't a quota in Monasterevin, so a good first preference by an independent is unlikely to be enough when transfers are brought in. I also think it's highly unlikey that FG will drop down to 1 from 6 in the current environment.

Last edited:

Effin Effer!!!

FG held their Newbridge TC convention on Wednesday and selected Michael 'Spike' Nolan and Emma Kiernan.

I think Labour have held theirs too, and selected two but I can't remember who they were.

Interesting analysis there Effin Effer. I think you underate Mark Stafford at your peril, he has a wide base and Cllr O'Loughlin won't be able to claim the title of local councillor when she has a credible opponent actually living in Rathangan. He's also getting some good media of late around the pressures on the local social welfare system.

As for Monasterevin, it'll be interesting to see if Matt Lonergan goes again. He did poll well last time, but he was the only candidate in the town and this time there will also be Hardt and maybe an independent FF run. There isn't a quota in Monasterevin, so a good first preference by an independent is unlikely to be enough when transfers are brought in. I also think it's highly unlikey that FG will drop down to 1 from 6 in the current environment.
My father was talking to Matt a while ago and he will be running again, and will poll very well. You seem to be underrating the support he has on the ground in Monasterevin and in Kildare Town and the rural area surrounding both. O'Donnell won't have as high a first preference as Dukes did last time out being a first time candidate. He'll have to work hammer and thongs on the doorsteps to get his name out there. After all he's only been living in Kildare Town a short while now. However his activities in the local G.A.A. club have given him a good profile. But he needs to work on his image. While Fine Gael supporters think he's the bee's knee's, I've yet to meet a Fianna Failer with a good word to say about him and Lonergan would be a more natural home for Labour voters. And this seat will rely on non F.G. transfers and who can attract them!

I may have been blunt regarding Stafford. But I'm sticking to my guns on my point. He simply isn't known in Rathangan at all, he went to school and everything else outside the area, isn't involved in any community activities and has a very quite personality. Although I hear he reads at mass :) that'll grab the youth vote! On top of that O'Loughlin has been getting a fairly positive response on the doorstep because of her personal work for the area, despite the anger out there for Fianna Fail. The fact that she's related to practically half of Rathangan will make her a local candidate. It's an O'Loughlin stronghold.

Spike and O'Donnell should take the two seats for Fine Gael, but O'Donnell will have to fight hard for it! Kildare isn't the F.G. stronghold it once was as the last General Election result embarassingly proved.

L

longshortgrass

The concept that springs to mind is DISPAIR!!!
By dis-pair I assume you refer to the two Seans, soon to become a max of one Sean.

Nil desperandum.....Wall will be in Power, courtesy of Enda...:cool::cool::cool: