Kilkenny... 9th Friendliest city in the world?

Blokesbloke

Again I've been noticing Ireland-related stories much more in the media since I converted to the religion of Piesterism.

Noticed today that according to a new survey, Kilkenny has been ranked as the 9th friendliest city in the world.

The article suggests the number of pubs (apparently 88 pubs means there is one pub for every 250 residents) and the comedy festival might be contributory factors, but it might be more than that.

So what do Piesters think. As the only Irish city to make the top 10, is Kilkenny the friendliest city in all Ireland? And the 9th friendliest in the world? If so, why?

Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph online, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph

ruserious

Obviously it was judged the week drummed was away at the annual ploughing championships.

Bill

Drummed will be thrilled, it's an alright spot, however the hang sandwich in Langtons is awful.

Mitsui2

I don't know Kilkenny terribly well but anytime that I've had cause to spend time there I've actually been struck by the fact that it does appear to be quite a friendly place.

But then I'm originally from Wexford, and we are a proudly cantankerous and curmudgeonly lot, so maybe it was only in contrast.

Odyessus

Again I've been noticing Ireland-related stories much more in the media since I converted to the religion of Piesterism.

Noticed today that according to a new survey, Kilkenny has been ranked as the 9th friendliest city in the world.

The article suggests the number of pubs (apparently 88 pubs means there is one pub for every 250 residents) and the comedy festival might be contributory factors, but it might be more than that.

So what do Piesters think. As the only Irish city to make the top 10, is Kilkenny the friendliest city in all Ireland? And the 9th friendliest in the world? If so, why?

Telegraph.co.uk - Telegraph online, Daily Telegraph, Sunday Telegraph - Telegraph
I've never noticed that Kilkenny is particularly friendly on my rare visits. That's not to say it's not friendly, but no more so than most Irish places in my experience.

stakerwallace

Great place for a weekend.

Mitsui2

I've never noticed that Kilkenny is particularly friendly on my rare visits. That's not to say it's not friendly, but no more so than most Irish places in my experience.
I must have got them on their good days, so! :)

Astral Peaks

Of course it's friendly, the natives are all so closely related to each other they are thrilled when some fresh outside blood arrives.

Casablanca

I lived in Bennetsbridge for a while many years ago and found it miserable. Mind you, I was no great shakes myself at the time and my impressions might have been skewed by, ahem, other interests. I'm going to Kilkenny for a few days break shortly and will be happy to have my previous impressions corrected.

P.S. I like Drummed. There, I've said it.

Bea C

Somebody I know rants about what c**ts Kilkenny people are.
Then again, I should qualify that.
He's a Tipp hurling man.

SeosamhN

A once great patriotic place.

RahenyFG

Drummed will be thrilled, it's an alright spot, however the hang sandwich in Langtons is awful.
Indeed he will. It more than makes up for Kilkenny going out of the hurling championship so early.

Verhofstadt

Website

No harm.. we need all the tourism we can get, but it's a bit of ************************e list though..

2 Aussie towns, Kiwi, Brazilian, Irish, American, Bali, Burma and 2 Bhutan "cities"?

..What about Portland, Copenhagen, Vancouver, Boston, Bulawayo.. St Louis (in Senegal).. Lyon.. even Liverpool.

Great places all... to name but a few.

Astral Peaks

I lived in Bennetsbridge for a while many years ago and found it miserable. Mind you, I was no great shakes myself at the time and my impressions might have been skewed by, ahem, other interests. I'm going to Kilkenny for a few days break shortly and will be happy to have my previous impressions corrected.

P.S. I like Drummed. There, I've said it.
You know that there are tablets you can get for that affliction?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom