Kilkenny rednecks against mosque and cultural center

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Kilkenny are well known for being dirty hurling players, now it seems they are angry racist savages to boot:
Irish Times - ‘This is Kilkenny, not Mecca’: angry opposition to mosque plan
Angry scenes marred a public-information meeting about a planned mosque that took place in Kilkenny on Thursday evening.
Shouting and heckling dominated the two-hour event, however. Most of the audience members who made comments said they opposed the planned €5 million development, which includes a mosque, community hall, library, accommodation, halal shop and cafe.
Green party councilor says the meeting was badly moderated, had hate speech and there was troublesome social media activity before it:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/pubic-meeting-regarding-planned-kilkenny-mosque-regrettable-837362.html
Green Party councillor Malcolm Noonan said the meeting contained hate speech by some members of the public and was badly moderated.
What should be done about these Kilkebarbarians ?

Cyp

Clanrickard

Kilkenny are well known for being dirty hurling players, now it seems they are angry racist savages to boot:
Irish Times - ‘This is Kilkenny, not Mecca’: angry opposition to mosque plan

Green party councilor says the meeting was badly moderated, had hate speech and there was troublesome social media activity before it:
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/pubic-meeting-regarding-planned-kilkenny-mosque-regrettable-837362.html

What should be done about these Kilkebarbarians ?

Cyp
From what I have read some of the dialogue was bigoted and some was genuine concern at the prosed development. Mr. Noonan should know that hate speech is free speech.

Dame_Enda

I think people are annoyed at not being consulted beforehand, and also they want safeguards to prevent the terrible mismanagement of the mosque issue seen in the UK and France.

Only a few weeks ago we learned that a named individual who is a radical preacher turned up in Ireland. We know because moderate Muslim Umar Al Qadri tweeted about it.

I think we need a register of mosques and of preachers. This is not needed for non Muslim religions because there is not a wave of religiously-motivated non-Muslim terror attacks in Europe. People are afraid we will sleepwalk into a Bataclan or London bridge type situation. By having a register we can make sure only moderate Imams are allowed to preach.

I support religious freedom provided preachers are not inciting violence. We dont want an Abu Hamza type controversy here akin to what happened in the Finsbury Park mosque years ago.

Sync

Nothing? Being intolerant isn't illegal. If they've got valid objections, let them raise them. If they're invalid they should be ignored.

Jack Walsh

From what I have read some of the dialogue was bigoted and some was genuine concern at the prosed development. Mr. Noonan should know that hate speech is free speech.
"It wasn't well moderated and people were allowed to say things that were really disparaging and very hurtful to people and for that, I think it is most regrettable."

Where does Noonan say they shouldn't be allowed speak?
He says some of the stuff said was disparaging and hurtful, and that is widely reported as being accurate
Just because you are allowed say something doesn't mean it isn't nasty and hurtful and even racist
And a senior FF politician organising a meeting to allow this is indeed "regrettable"

Greens wouldn't be favourite party, but Noonan is a decent guy, well liked and fair
Mc Guinness is a classic FF old school speak out of both sides of mouth opportunist

Overall, Kilkenny city is a very vibrant and progressive pace,s o I'd be disappointed with this sort of rabble rousing stuff

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
I think we need a register of mosques and of preachers. This is not needed for non Muslim religions because ... By having a register we can make sure only moderate Imams are allowed to preach.
Should all approved Muslims have to wear an armband with a crescent on it ?

Cyp

Buchaill Dana

I think people are annoyed at not being consulted beforehand, and also they want safeguards to prevent the terrible mismanagement of the mosque issue seen in the UK and France.

Only a few weeks ago we learned that a named individual who is a radical preacher turned up in Ireland. We know because moderate Muslim Umar Al Qadri tweeted about it.

I think we need a register of mosques and of preachers. This is not needed for non Muslim religions because there is not a wave of religiously-motivated non-Muslim terror attacks in Europe. People are afraid we will sleepwalk into a Bataclan or London bridge type situation. By having a register we can make sure only moderate Imams are allowed to preach.

I support religious freedom provided preachers are not inciting violence. We dont want an Abu Hamza type controversy here akin to what happened in the Finsbury Park mosque years ago.
And what is more likely to spark a terrorist attack? Allowing Muslims to open mosques with the same freedom other religions have, or treating them differently like you propose? You are close to demanding they wear armbands.

Sync

There's no hint that they've bypassed any of the planning requirements, they've applied for planning permission the same way anyone else could, and when asked off the back of requests from locals, the Imam presumably who's going to be in charge of it had an open floor meeting with 200 locals.

How much more open should the Imam have been? What else could he have done that would satisfy your sensibilities?

Dame_Enda

And what is more likely to spark a terrorist attack? Allowing Muslims to open mosques with the same freedom other religions have, or treating them differently like you propose? You are close to demanding they wear armbands.
How are Christians treated in Saudi Arabia?

Im not concerned with someone practicing religion peacefully. But equality has to be a reciprocal thing. A lot of mosques built in the UK were built with Saudi money, which was the genesis of the radicalisation in the UK. There was a plan by the Saudis to buil a super mosque in Dublin but I dont know if its still happening.

If we had the same problem in Christianity with nutty preachers urging bombings I would equally support compulsory registration of preachers and Churches. We don't have that problem now.

Jack Walsh

Ha ha
Just read the article

It was Mc Guinness's brother Eugene who was stirring it all
In fairness, Eugene is a far bigger clown than his older sibling
Not the brightest spark, the Fredo of the family, and seems to revel in goading his brother

Last edited:

Kerrygold

How are Christians treated in Saudi Arabia?

Im not concerned with someone practicing religion peacefully. But equality has to be a reciprocal thing. A lot of mosques built in the UK were built with Saudi money, which was the genesis of the radicalisation in the UK. There was a plan by the Saudis to buil a super mosque in Dublin but I dont know if its still happening.

If we had the same problem in Christianity with nutty preachers urging bombings I would equally support compulsory registration of preachers and Churches. We don't have that problem now.
So we should behave like Saudi Arabia?

I see.

Dame_Enda

How os that possibly relevent to a planning aplication in Kilkenny?

You never got back to me on your silly claim that mosques are only built in poorer areas.
Who is funding the mosque? We need to make sure its not the Saudis because allowing them to do so in the UK has been an unmitigated disaster.

And even if the Saudis have nothing to do with this mosque, I stand over my proposal for registration of mosques so that An Garda Siochana can verify that radicals are not preaching there as in the UK and sometimes even here.

In the long term, moderate Muslims will welcome such proposals to protect them and us from the lunatics.

In fact, many Muslims will be comfortable with state regulation, as Islam in Muslim countries is often regulated by the State anyway.

Mercurial

Hate speech is literally illegal in this country.

wombat

I'm sure there will be a warm welcome for a mosque elsewhere, Waterford would be a more logical location.

Dame_Enda

I think the people are finally standing up to the PC brigade. (at least in Kilkenny).

brigg

Regrettably there are many on this site who would believe you are being earnest and would consider that an excellent idea.
Only in your own mind.
People may have concerns about Islam for a variety of different reasons, some of them perfectly valid. Did the Nazis have any valid reasons for fearing the Jews?
If the Jews were convenient bogeymen for the Nazis, then people with concerns about immigration are convenient bogeymen to yourself. Anyone who disagrees with you is a potential Nazi. See the parallels?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies