King Richard

Lonewolfe

Right, we all know that Enda's goose is cooked. We also know that Leo and Simon are ambitious young Turks loved by hipsters and media hacks.

However Richie B is really the one FG politician most worthy of leadership. He has proven himself over the years. Question is, will FG choose him or go with the media driven (and totally misguided) 2 horse race?

I personally believe that if Leo or Simon win the leadership it will set the party back a long way!

Franzoni

Right, we all know that Enda's goose is cooked. We also know that Leo and Simon are ambitious young Turks loved by hipsters and media hacks.

However Richie B is really the one FG politician most worthy of leadership. He has proven himself over the years. Question is, will FG choose him or go with the media driven (and totally misguided) 2 horse race?

I personally believe that if Leo or Simon win the leadership it will set the party back a long way!

Great...!

The days of "oh yessa sir massa'r" are over.......... what is it you people don't realise or can't accept about that...?

Brera

He is written off completely in the media which is nonsense. He is a serious contender for the position and I hope he does through his hat the ring. For me Leo would be a completed disaster and Simon is not ready yet.

The question is do the young Turks in the parliamentary party know the difference between leadership and a media profile.

Hans Von Horn

He would be an excellent candidate for Taoiseach and if Enda has to go he should support Richard.

A deal done now installing Richard in June would fit a suitable timetable.

Hans Von Horn

I can't see anyone beating Varadkar.

Though FG are not good at choosing leaders:
I can see Michael Martin beating him to become Taoiseach.

eoghanacht

Michealín is the Earl of Warwick?

HereWeGoAgain

no mention of King Richie

Varadkar and Coveney move against Kenny - Times UK

Enda Kenny’s days as taoiseach are numbered after a seismic shift in the party led to two senior ministers urging Fine Gael to prepare for a general election.

In a significant intervention at the party’s weekly meeting, Leo Varadkar and Simon Coveney prepared the ground for an early leadership contest.

Party sources warned that an internal motion of no confidence could follow unless Mr Kenny signalled a “clear, fixed and immovable timeline” for the transition of leadership.

Varadkar and Coveney move against Kenny | Ireland | The Times & The Sunday Times

Lúidín

The new leader of Fine Gael is about as relevant as the new leader of the Labour Party or Renua. It's fun to watch them elbowing each other but really they are toast. They had a chance and blew it.

HereWeGoAgain

we were forewarned: Journal - Feb 2016 - article by Julien Mercille
Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael are virtually the same
Many people are dissatisfied with Fine Gael in power and are thinking about “giving a chance” to the Fianna Fáil “alternative”. But as a number of journalists and editors have noted in the media, the two parties are very similar. Some even talk of “Fianna Gael” to make this point. They have similar values and policies.

The consequence is that voters should be careful that voting for either of the two main parties will bring change. Alternatively, if you like one, there is no reason not to like the other.
http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/general-election-voting-2620222-Feb2016/

statsman

Coveney and Leo have grasped the pommel, but as Augustus said ‘the hand that wields the knife shall never wear the crown’. Get your money on Simon Harris. ;)

HereWeGoAgain

Justin McCarthy ‏@MrJustinMac 8m8 minutes ago

Pat Deering says on @morningireland "a motion of no confidence" in Enda Kenny "is coming down the line" if Taoiseach doesn't go.

OldHat

It would appear to me that supporters of all parties other than FG on this site want anyone but Leo to succeed Enda.

What is this great fear of Varadkar about?
I get the same vibe talking to FF and SF members I meet regularly.

Bruton has no intention of letting his name go forward btw.

Henry94.

Simon should let Leo have it. Whichever one of them wins the party will soon suffer from buyer's remorse and install the other guy.

DaveM

Bruton was shown to be very politically naïve in the way he conducted the 2010 heave. Kenny and Hogan outmaneuvered him to an embarrassing extent and shone a light on a fundamental lack of political street smarts. His chances of the top job pretty much died there and then.

Jimmy Two Times

I can see Michael Martin beating him to become Taoiseach.
FF are likely to be biggest of the FF/FG two anyway after the next election. Whoever gets the FG leader gig is getting a bit of a poisoned chalice. Kenny took all the good out of it by hanging around for so long. The law of diminishing returns applies to FGF. They should get on with it and amalgamate.

Jimmy Two Times

It would appear to me that supporters of all parties other than FG on this site want anyone but Leo to succeed Enda.

What is this great fear of Varadkar about?
I get the same vibe talking to FF and SF members I meet regularly.

Bruton has no intention of letting his name go forward btw.
No political opponent is afraid of Leo Varadker. He was shíte as a minister, seems to like the sound of his own voice. VB had him on one day and he allowed him to talk shíte about Fidel Castro like as if it had anything to do with him. He's a dreamer and certainly won't make FG more electable but neither would Coveney. FG were crestfallen after the last election and are running on empty. Whoever takes over is taking over a party in decline. Enda Kenny has to be the luckiest Irish politician ever.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies