• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Kitty Holland defends Savita death story after admitting Praveen's account may be 'muddled'

Skyrocket

Kitty Holland, the Irish Times journalist who broke the story about the death of Savita Hallapanavar has defended her November 14th story after she remarked on Marc Coleman's Newstalk show over the weekend that Savita's husband Praveen "may have been a little muddled" in his telling of the story to her. After criticism from The Life Institute she described Praveen as a "credible witness".

She also told RTÉ News that "the newspaper never suggested that a termination of pregnancy might have saved Mrs Halappanavar's life."

Full story here: Journalist stands over Savita Halappanavar story - RTÉ News

Edit: Here is the interview with Holland on Coleman at Large:

[video=youtube;jQmc-eeNXCU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&jQmc-eeNXCU[/video]

Interview with her concludes just before the 9 minute mark. The 'muddled' comment is at the 5 minute mark and from about 5.20 Coleman asks about the alleged request for a termination, the following exchanges occur:

Coleman: ...to what do you attribute the disparity between Praveen's assertion that the family asked for a termination and the fact that the hospital records contain...no requests for a termination.

Holland: ...we're relying all the time on their (Praveen and his solicitor) take on what happened...I don't know, that's a huge gap and if that is the case that a termination was requested and Praveen says that there were witnesses to the requests so that will all come out in the inquiry... we don't know if requests for a termination are recorded at all...

Coleman: ...but you are absolutely satisfied despite saying that his recollection may have been muddled to a certain extent...that he did request a termination.

Holland: Oh I'm not satisfied of anything - I'm satisfied of what he told me but I await as much as anyone else the the inquiry and the findings...I can't tell for certain - I mean who knows what will come out of this inquiry, they make come back and say she came in with a disease she caught from outside the hospital before she even arrived in and that there was no request for a termination - we await with baited breath.

This is the original November 14th story: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1114/1224326575203.html

Last edited:

borntorum

Kitty Holland, the Irish Times journalist who broke the story about the death of Savita Hallapanavar has defended her November 14th story after she remarked on Marc Coleman's Newstalk show over the weekend that Savita's husband Praveen "may have been a little muddled" in his telling of the story to her. After criticism from The Life Institute she described Praveen as a "credible witness".

She also told RTÉ News that "the newspaper never suggested that a termination of pregnancy might have saved Mrs Halappanavar's life."

Full story here: Journalist stands over Savita Halappanavar story - RTÉ News
Hmmm, technically she's probably right, but they haven't exactly been in the forefront trying to correct the false impression, have they?

gerhard dengler

"She said that his (Praveen Halappanavar) recollection of events, the timeline and days, may be a little muddled"

Praveen Halappanavar who made the allegations needs to be compelled to testify about the claims that he made.

Big Brother

If you're explaining, you're losing.

Kitty is a good journalist and she got a good story, fair dues to her.

But her editors should have been much more careful in editing the story.

Ramon Mercadar

"She said that his (Praveen Halappanavar) recollection of events, the timeline and days, may be a little muddled"

Praveen Halappanavar who made the allegations needs to be compelled to testify about the claims that he made.
So the husband of Savita must bw compelled to testify.

You're some tulip.

MariaMcN

They rushed the story out because they have a pro-choice agenda and wanted to use this tragic case to promote it. It's disgusting exploitation.

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

The rushed the story out because they
have a pro-choice agenda and wanted to use this tragic case to promote it. It's disgusting exploitation.
Please explain the timeline, so that we will know how you decided it was rushed out.

ObsessiveMathsFreak

The Irish Times has decided to back off this story, and have thrown Praveen Hallapanavar under a bus to cover their escape.

I suspect that the Times is backing off the story for reasons which have nothing to do with what actually happened to Savita.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Yep.

He's made serious allegations - those allegations need to be tested.
I'd like to see the man being compelled to testify.
He said they were denied a termination and he said the reason given was that Ireland is a Catholic country.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
Holland (and by implication, the Irish Times) has an agenda in the way that she has reported this story, from its outset. The initial tabloid style headline was a bit of a give-away. Newspapers are entitled to have an agenda, however they are not entitled to mis-report the facts, based on one individual's viewpoint only, especially if there has not been any attempt to get different viewpoints.
If it turns out that the doctors in this case have had their reputations libellously destroyed, then I hope they take Holland and the IT to the cleaners. The fact that the only information in the public domain (no request made for an abortion) points to the father being mistaken and should be sending a cold wind up up Tara Street.

gerhard dengler

If it turns out that the doctors in this case have had their reputations libellously destroyed, then I hope they take Holland and the IT to the cleaners. The fact that the only information in the public domain (no request made for an abortion) points to the father being mistaken and should be sending a cold wind up up Tara Street.
Agreed.

Ramon Mercadar

Yep.

He's made serious allegations - those allegations need to be tested.
I'd like to see the man being compelled to testify.
His wife was denied a termination by the hospital and you want to see him compelled to testify? Under what act?

From the Irish Times

'Are you okay . . . I think we are losing her'

KITTY HOLLAND

Sat, Nov 24, 2012

TIMELINE: This is the story of one woman’s death in an Irish hospital, based on the account given by her husband and friends

October 23rd

At 4.30am Praveen leaves the hospital to bring his wife’s parents to Dublin Airport for their journey home to Belgaum in southwest India. Savita’s best friend in Galway – who does not want her name used – stays with her for the five hours he is away. She is still there when he gets back and the three wait for the consultant to come on ward rounds. The consultant comes to Savita’s room at about 10am. “Savita told the doctor she was anxious to know what the response was ,” says Praveen.

“The doctor said ‘unfortunately the foetus is still alive. It is law that we cannot terminate.” He says Savita pleaded for a termination to the miscarriage, by now in its third day. He then says the consultant said this was not possible, explaining to the young, Indian couple: “This is a Catholic country.” Savita, a Hindu, answers, “But I am neither Irish nor Catholic”, according to Praveen.

There are, according to Praveen, two junior doctors and a midwife also in the room – seven people in all – when this exchange takes place.

Savita begins to shiver, shake and vomit in the evening. When her husband calls a nurse she brings an extra blanket. Savita goes to use the bathroom but collapses. “There were big alarms, people came running,” says Praveen. “A doctor took bloods and started her on antibiotics.”
'Are you okay . . . I think we are losing her' - The Irish Times - Sat, Nov 24, 2012
So as well as Praveen a friend of Savita was in the room along with the consultant, two junior doctors and a midwife.

I doubt if all of the medical staff can be bullied into denying the truth.

Big Brother

The Irish Times would do well to publish details of the journalist recently arrested on accusation of child rape.

It has held itself up as judge and jury for the rest of the country.

Also very unhealthy imho that its chairman - decent man though he is - chairs the constitutional convention.

Irish Times readers think they have a right to run this country.

They are a mere 2 per cent of the population and need to be reminded of that.

Constantly.

Big Brother

He said they were denied a termination and he said the reason given was that Ireland is a Catholic country.
This is what he alleged he was told. I wouldn't blame him for saying anything given the state he was in.

But we need to know the truth on this. The real truth.

The stakes are too high.

wombat

If it turns out that the doctors in this case have had their reputations libellously destroyed, then I hope they take Holland and the IT to the cleaners. .
Wouldn't that be sweet. Too much to hope for:lol:

Ramon Mercadar

The Irish Times would do well to publish details of the journalist recently arrested on accusation of child rape.

It has held itself up as judge and jury for the rest of the country.

Also very unhealthy imho that its chairman - decent man though he is - chairs the constitutional convention.

Irish Times readers think they have a right to run this country.

They are a mere 2 per cent of the population and need to be reminded of that.

Constantly.
Off topic. Start a thread about the journalist.

Popular Threads

Most Replies