• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Labour Candidate for Waterford

Tony Soprano

I notice that Cllr Seamus Ryan has thrown his hat in the ring and is now seeking the nomination for the by-election. Would i be right in assuming that whoever gets the nod for the by-election will actually be the second candidate for labour at the next general election??

is Seamus Ryan Labour's best bet in Waterford?? (i actually think he is!)
Labour have no one special based in the county. Ger Barron is about the best bet if they want to stand a county-based candidate.

what do ye reckon?

Oak Tree

Ciara Conway a councillor From Dungarvan has declared an interest in running I'm told.
I believe she's young, articulate and geographically well placed to challenge for a seat and of vouse she's female!

Shed be a good choice for bye election and good running mate for o shea or ryan if he runs.

I also hear that John Halligan could yet be the surprise Labour candidate -
so who knows??

jabbers

to put an end to this. John Halligan is not joining Labour nor has he ever wanted to join Labour.

Gilmore made an approach but Halligan told me no straight away.

local Labour members have also told head office if Halligan is appointed as their candidate then they will resign from the party.

Tomas Mor

any chance John Deacy might defect ?

pjoz

any chance John Deacy might defect ?
IN relation to defections actually heard a very interesting bit of gossip lately, wouldn't think there's much truth in it myself, but seemingly a former FG Dungarvan area poll topper on the county council is getting very ambitious and looking to jump ship..knows he will never get on the ticket while Deasy around... as this councillor seemingly thinks he has the town of Dungarvan sown up he's looking for a new home...only problem is nobody wants him

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
to put an end to this. John Halligan is not joining Labour nor has he ever wanted to join Labour.

Gilmore made an approach but Halligan told me no straight away.

welcome aboard Eamon! :)

Seriously though, while I'm obviously slow to write off a statement of fact made on the internet, I think we can assume there's a while to go before the final decision is made on this. Halligan would lose the bye-election to FG if he ran as an independent, and LP would also lose with someone else. If he ran for LP, however, he'd win (IMO), and would be well placed to bring in a second LP seat in the ensuing GE (and probably be the sole outgoing LP TD the following GE when O'Shea retires). This doesn't make it certain, or even likely, necessarily, but to say it couldn't happen, particularly given the circumstances of his becoming an independent, is nonsense, it's certainly a possibility.

Podolski1.5

This doesn't make it certain, or even likely, necessarily, but to say it couldn't happen, particularly given the circumstances of his becoming an independent, is nonsense, it's certainly a possibility.

can you explain this extraordinary piece of tautology please?

Red_93

I think the point being that you shouldn't trust something from an anonymous poster on an internet forum, and that it is still quite possible that Halligan would run for labour, though I can't see it happening personally.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
ummm ... he said it couldn't happen. I said that while it may not be certain, or probable, it could happen, so s/he's wrong.

not sure why this would be tautology, though..... perhaps you'd like to explain?

Podolski1.5

ummm ... he said it couldn't happen. I said that while it may not be certain, or probable, it could happen, so s/he's wrong.

not sure why this would be tautology, though..... perhaps you'd like to explain?
Perhps I just meant it was an extremely confusing sentence.

Tony Soprano

IN relation to defections actually heard a very interesting bit of gossip lately, wouldn't think there's much truth in it myself, but seemingly a former FG Dungarvan area poll topper on the county council is getting very ambitious and looking to jump ship..knows he will never get on the ticket while Deasy around... as this councillor seemingly thinks he has the town of Dungarvan sown up he's looking for a new home...only problem is nobody wants him
:eek::roll:

pjoz

Have you not heard that yet Tony?...can't say I know the FGer personally but I believe he works in one of the few remaining factories of the town...very popular in fairness among the folk of Dungarvan but you know with the snobbery in FG a blue collar worker like him will never have an opportunity to rise,now if he was a doctor or a big farmer like his fellow FG councillors Deasy might have something to worry about around selection convention time but alas that will never be..a more natural home could be labour,but I heard he's even sounding out SF...he'd never join SF?would you?

Tony Soprano

Have you not heard that yet Tony?...can't say I know the FGer personally but I believe he works in one of the few remaining factories of the town...very popular in fairness among the folk of Dungarvan but you know with the snobbery in FG a blue collar worker like him will never have an opportunity to rise,now if he was a doctor or a big farmer like his fellow FG councillors Deasy might have something to worry about around selection convention time but alas that will never be..a more natural home could be labour,but I heard he's even sounding out SF...he'd never join SF?would you?
Join Sinn Fein??? are you gone stark raving mad???

p.s. Fine Gael dont have any "big farmers" representing them on Waterford Co Council? Do they??

Oak Tree

Waterford could do with more candidates to liven things up a bit.

Has any of the Conways a chance?
Joe - independent FF
Ciara - labour

culbair

p.s. Fine Gael dont have any "big farmers" representing them on Waterford Co Council? Do they??
A Shinner was telling me lately that Brendan Mansfield Sinn Fein (Dungarvan) has Dail ambitions. Now of course not everybody in Sinn Fein wants that. Seems he is very ambitious. Will he wait around I wonder?

pjoz

Don't believe it myself about SF,that would be some leap..labour on the other could be possible..just as a matter of interest how many factory workers (present/former)do FG have within their ranks as elected representatives?

Given this councillors solid base and vote pulling power in the Dungarvan/West Waterford area its hard to believe he doesn't have Dail ambitions..the big problem for him being Deasy,doesn't matter whether he's pro/anti camp or even if heaven forbid Deasy lost the party whip this councillor still has little hope of progress within FG,his daddy wasn't a former FG minister and that will always hold sway..

On the p.s question,I suppose they mightn't qualify as big farmers by FG standards

RahenyFG

Is this by-election actually going to happen this year or even before the planned 2012 election if the FF/Greens coalition doesn't collapse

Tony Soprano

Don't believe it myself about SF,that would be some leap..labour on the other could be possible..just as a matter of interest how many factory workers (present/former)do FG have within their ranks as elected representatives?

Given this councillors solid base and vote pulling power in the Dungarvan/West Waterford area its hard to believe he doesn't have Dail ambitions..the big problem for him being Deasy,doesn't matter whether he's pro/anti camp or even if heaven forbid Deasy lost the party whip this councillor still has little hope of progress within FG,his daddy wasn't a former FG minister and that will always hold sway..

On the p.s question,I suppose they mightn't qualify as big farmers by FG standards
it might be hard for you to believe that he doesnt have Dail ambitions, but i certainly believe that he doesnt!!

p.s. what farmers (big or small) are you talking about???

Popular Threads

Most Replies