Labour Candidate for Waterford

RahenyFG

and who would Deasy defect to? i'd say he'd go as an independent candidate

culbair

Don't believe it myself about SF,that would be some leap..labour on the other could be possible..just as a matter of interest how many factory workers (present/former)do FG have within their ranks as elected representatives?

Given this councillors solid base and vote pulling power in the Dungarvan/West Waterford area its hard to believe he doesn't have Dail ambitions..the big problem for him being Deasy,doesn't matter whether he's pro/anti camp or even if heaven forbid Deasy lost the party whip this councillor still has little hope of progress within FG,his daddy wasn't a former FG minister and that will always hold sway..

On the p.s question,I suppose they mightn't qualify as big farmers by FG standards
Sinn Fein has its own big problems in the Waterford constituency. It has no hope of a Dail seat. Mansfield is wasting his time. The city Sinn Feiners dont want their country cousin to stand. They are determined to keep him out at all costs. I note that you have steered clear of this issue.
If Sinn Feins policy on higher corporation tax were implemented all the multinational companies would run out of the country. We would have very few factory workers then.

Oak Tree

SF seem to be going nowhere

This one is between FG, Lab and Ind

what are the odds at present?

pjoz

it might be hard for you to believe that he doesnt have Dail ambitions, but i certainly believe that he doesnt!!

May I ask how you are so certain on this issue?Have you spoken to him on the matter?I find it difficult to believe that such a prominent local FG member doesn't look upon Deasy and think that could and should be me...

p.s. what farmers (big or small) are you talking about???
By the certainty of your responses I'm guessing that technically there are none..Waterford FG members may have been unaware that industrial strife have gripped the country earlier in the year but I doubt any need telling (maybe bar the factory worker)how best to order their affairs when it comes to the most advantageous way of listing asset ownership for the purposes of reducing tax liabilities...again no doubt I could be wrong...

Tony Soprano

By the certainty of your responses I'm guessing that technically there are none..Waterford FG members may have been unaware that industrial strife have gripped the country earlier in the year but I doubt any need telling (maybe bar the factory worker)how best to order their affairs when it comes to the most advantageous way of listing asset ownership for the purposes of reducing tax liabilities...again no doubt I could be wrong...
JESUS WEPT!! what assets would you be talking about?? (considering that all but two of FG councillors are PAYE workers!!!)

p.s. there is no doubt about it--you are not just WRONG, but stone mad!:roll:

Oak Tree

what the heck has this to do with a Labour candidate for Waterford???

L.O. Dublin S.C.

As Labour will be running two candidates in around half of the constituencies, we can all agree that whomever is the by-election candidate is going to be the second candidate. As far as who it'll be? Hopefully, the geographical mix we'll be right.

pjoz

what the heck has this to do with a Labour candidate for Waterford???
There is a bit of gossip that a FG poll topper on Waterford county council may be looking towards labour as a possible home given the lack of opportunity he faces within the FG regime..Given his blue collar worker status Labour would appear a much more natural home for this councillor...

Tony, on this statement;
"it might be hard for you to believe that he doesnt have Dail ambitions, but i certainly believe that he doesnt!! "

may I ask how you are so certain on this issue?Have you spoken to him on the matter?I find it difficult to believe that such a prominent local FG member doesn't look upon Deasy and think that could and should be me...

Tony Soprano

There is a bit of gossip that a FG poll topper on Waterford county council may be looking towards labour as a possible home given the lack of opportunity he faces within the FG regime..Given his blue collar worker status Labour would appear a much more natural home for this councillor...

Tony, on this statement;
"it might be hard for you to believe that he doesnt have Dail ambitions, but i certainly believe that he doesnt!! "

may I ask how you are so certain on this issue?Have you spoken to him on the matter?I find it difficult to believe that such a prominent local FG member doesn't look upon Deasy and think that could and should be me...
stick to the "gossip"!! You'll go far!

Oak Tree

pjoz Ah right I see where u are coming from now-

sitting labour td is in city/east so it would prob make sense for Conway based in Dungarvan to run in by election- good balance

your saying geoghgan (poll topper according to irishelections.org)might run for labour Now that's v interesting

where would all this leave deacy? He might be vulnerable if he were to lose some of his base or would lab risk splitting vote and losing altogether??

pjoz

stick to the "gossip"!! You'll go far!
well Tony I gave your opening post due consideration and responded in the manner you required...only to be derided by your good self...In a small town like Dungarvan when you here a story such as this there's usually a grain of truth to it..no smoke without fire and all that...I did however point out that I didn't think there was any truth to the story...people can make of it what they will...in the interest of progressing a thread you started would you mind explaining to the rest of us what you base your belief on that the councillor in question lacks Dail ambitions...have you spoken to him on the issue?

pjoz

pjoz Ah right I see where u are coming from now-

sitting labour td is in city/east so it would prob make sense for Conway based in Dungarvan to run in by election- good balance

your saying geoghgan (poll topper according to irishelections.org)might run for labour Now that's v interesting

where would all this leave deacy? He might be vulnerable if he were to lose some of his base or would lab risk splitting vote and losing altogether??
Oak Tree I have not mentioned any names nor will I be..interested parties are capable of drawing their own conclusions..some like Tony are clearly also aware of the story doing the rounds..

As to where this would leave Deasy its hard to know...I actually think come a GE Coffey mightn't be all that far behind him (ahead even). In his 10 years + in politics Deasy's achievements are rather limited..Managing to maintain Daddy's vote over 2 elections being the highlight...If there was to be another credible Dungarvan based candidate it could be very interesting

Morte

Is an East/West split necessarily the best strategy for Labour? It's much more fertile ground for FG and FF for them. Might they be best off choosing a city candidate to try and consolidate the left wing city vote? It's terribly fragmented at the moment but that does mean there's scope for Labour to come out on top.

Waterford could do with more candidates to liven things up a bit.

Has any of the Conways a chance?
Joe - independent FF
Ciara - labour
Why do you term Joe Conway independent FF? I haven't heard him described as that before and he's always spoken about not wanting to join a party.

Joe is popular in Tramore but he's appealing to the same crowd as Brian O'Shea and I'm presuming isn't well known outside it. I think he has wide appeal and would do well in transfers if he stays in the race, particularly given the anti-establishment feeling. I just can't see him getting the kind of initial vote he'd need to stay in the race in the first place.

Oak Tree

Mea culpa - I thought Joe Conway was ex FF

I'm obviously wrong- he's just Independent

sorry

Morte

I'm not saying you're definitely wrong. Just that I haven't heard it before.

Thanks very much for that, Oak Tree. No, never in a Party and never will. It's just one of the few tenets I can hold on to in an ever-changing political scenario. I do read your comments with great interest each morning, and find them largely encouraging. The biggest problem in getting the Independent message out is...sadly, resources. In essence, money DOES control democracy, because if you have not got the wherewithal to propagate the message, the movement struggles. But...that's democracy Irish-style; we have to deal with the realities and get on with it.

Red_93

Thanks very much for that, Oak Tree. No, never in a Party and never will. It's just one of the few tenets I can hold on to in an ever-changing political scenario. I do read your comments with great interest each morning, and find them largely encouraging. The biggest problem in getting the Independent message out is...sadly, resources. In essence, money DOES control democracy, because if you have not got the wherewithal to propagate the message, the movement struggles. But...that's democracy Irish-style; we have to deal with the realities and get on with it.
But what's your platform, what do you stand for. There's no point just saying some rubbish like you're an independent candidate for an independent county or the usual crap. What would you add to our Dáil?

Treatyboy

But what's your platform, what do you stand for. There's no point just saying some rubbish like you're an independent candidate for an independent county or the usual crap. What would you add to our Dáil?
Why join a party? Give me one thing Labour stands for?

Oak Tree

True, Cllr Conway has the freedom to express a view without being spancelled by party whip
not sure an independent can make it in Waterford though looking at last GE figures?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies