Labour candidate said he wouldn't apologise for being passionate, then apologises

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Donegal News reported last week that a row erupted between Labour Councilor Frank McBrearty and the Donegal County Manager which resulted in McBrearty telling the county manager to "f-off". A row broke out between the now Labour candidate for Donegal South West and the Donegal News journalist Charlie Joe McGinley on Highland Radio last Friday and during the exchange McBrearty said he wouldn't apologize for being passionate on behalf of his constituents.

McBrearty says he did not use any foul language in the council chamber but did tell the county manage to "f-off" outside the chamber.

You can hear the exchange from the Highland Radio site here.

We're not sure what's happened since last Friday (oh, well accept the Donegal South West by-election being called!) that's resulted in a change of mind by the Labour candidate, but he's just issued a statement apologising for his use of language.

STATEMENT BY CLLR. FRANK McBREARTY JNR
Labour Party Member of Donegal County Council
Friday, 5 November, 2010

McBREARTY APOLOGISES FOR INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE

“I wish to apologise for the inappropriate language I used in recent exchanges with the County Manager and on Highland Radio.

“I am passionate about the people I represent and the issues that are of concern to them and I accept that I sometimes may over-step the mark in my efforts to promote their interests.

“I understand that the County Manager has a difficult job to do, but I often find the restrictions placed on councillors to be frustrating.

“I also know from the experiences of my own family how important the freedom of the press is and I fully accept that journalists have to report things as they see them.

“I hope that these exchanges can now be put behind us that we can all devote our efforts to furthering the interests of the people of Donegal.”
The statement by Labour on behalf of Cllr McBrearty appears to be on foot of a piece in today's Irish Examiner which reported that Labour had declined to make a statement on the incident, well that's changed now.

Hewson

I'll settle for a TD/Minister who doesn't take bribes, has a good handle on his portfolio, listens to the best advice and acts in the national interest in everything he does.

After that he can eff and cuss till God calls him home. I won't mind.

Number2

Eamon 'don't-upset-the-voters' Gilmore must have been on to him this morning.

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
Have to say I don't understand the fuss about this at all- Donegal man in use of F-word shocker!

Most ppl I know living in (ROI) border counties use expletives practically as terms of endearment, e.g. he was a decent c**t, etc (oddly it seems to change rapidly as you cross the border)

pandora

If you knew McBrearty you would know that when he tells someone to f*** off he means it.

The Cat

Misleading headline. He apologised for bad language, did not apologise for being passionate.

The OD

This is typical nonsense you get in politics - someone can be a snake like Ahern or Lowry and thats ok, but if an honest man loses the run of himself and lets fly with a few words (and thats all f-off is, words) then people try to scale the high moral ground.

Some of the best, most honest and decent people I know curse like dockers at the best of times.

evercloserunion

This is typical nonsense you get in politics - someone can be a snake like Ahern or Lowry and thats ok, but if an honest man loses the run of himself and lets fly with a few words (and thats all f-off is, words) then people try to scale the high moral ground.

Some of the best, most honest and decent people I know curse like dockers at the best of times.
This is Politics.ie, and McBrearty is a Labour councillor. 'Nuff said.

Clever move by Labour Party press office. Gives Frank a chance to garner even more good, "I'm one of the people, for the people politicians" publicity.

As I said before and agree with Dotski completely we Irish use the F word as punctuation. No harm at all, only good for Labour.

Sorry to disappoint. Hah

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies