Labour Councillor apologises for calling West Limerck "arsehole of the county"

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Limerick Leader reported this morning that Labour Councillor for Limerick City Gerry McLoughlin said he stood over the sentiment of remarks he made this week calling parts of West Limerick "the arsehole of the county".

They have destroyed the city with the planning, and are no friends of ours. We are not here to serve Newcastle West, or other places in the arsehole of County Limerick
Cllr McLoughlin made the remarks during a council meeting on the proposals to merge Limerick county and city councils. Cllr McLoughlin referred to the county councillors as "country bumpkins" who have no regard for Limerick City.

However in a sensational back-down, the Labour TD for Limerick East Jan O'Sullivan has issued an statement of apology from Councillor McLoughlin for the remarks.

Friday, 15 October 2010
Statement by Cllr Gerry McLoughlin

It would appear that remarks I made in relation to the boundary extension may have given offence to those living in County Limerick, and in particular to elected members of Limerick County Council.

Having read reports published in local newspapers of the remarks made by me, I can understand that they would cause offence and I unreservedly apologise and withdraw the offending remarks.

In mitigation I wish to state that the sheer frustration of waiting for funding for a variety of worthwhile and badly needed projects that would have a significant effect on the lives of the hard pressed community that I represent was responsible for my uncalled for and hurtful remarks.

I unfortunately allowed my passionate belief that a boundary extension would improve the quality of life of the people I represent, to make me say things in the heat of the moment.

I have many friends in County Limerick and I have always had good relations with members of Limerick County Council including my party colleagues, Cllr’s Tomas Hannon and James Heffernan and I hope they will not let my remarks change that.

It was not my intention to give offence and I hope this clarification will be accepted in the good faith in which it was made and I hope that we can proceed to do the best we can for the citizens we represent in both city and county.

spotty

Spotty is quite sure that the Cllr's remarks are a fairly accurate representation of Labour attitudes to Rural Ireland.

firefly123

And fiannafails attitude to the whole of Ireland except for a few of their pals!

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Reflects the Left's snobbery towards rural-Ireland.

Nobber Man

That's the thing about arseholes. They're like opinions. Everyone has one. Even the best looking woman in Nobber.

Riadach

His comments were certainly inappropriate, but he may be right about rural councillors bias against urban dwellers. I remember a few years back there was ferocious trouble because Clare county council refused to use money it received through taxes etc where Limerick city had sprawled into the county, and preferred to use it on general rural development, despite the fact the surbarbs emanating from this sprawl were in genuine need of development themselves. There is a lot of antagonism it seems between rural and urban councils.

Craiced

Limerick Labour must have been pleased with the latest boundary commission report which banished 10,500 of the hicks into Kerry North.
However, I’m sure Arthur J Springs handlers do not appreciate the honesty of his Limerick Comrade.

Last edited:
M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Reflects the Left's snobbery towards rural-Ireland.
That's BS FT. Have you never been to the arsehole of nowhere (or other variations of the phrase)?

Is anyone on this thread seriously suggesting that they have never used that phrase before? Whether aligned on the left or right.

:roll:

I don't see why he need apologise (except for the upcoming GE) but are the people of Limerick that stupid to not realise that it just means remote/rural? ... *Willie O' Dea*... forget I asked that actually!

ymmek

That's BS FT. Have you never been to the arsehole of nowhere (or other variations of the phrase)?

Is anyone on this thread seriously suggesting that they have never used that phrase before? Whether aligned on the left or right.

I don't see why he need apologise (except for the upcoming GE) but are the people of Limerick that stupid to not realise that it just means remote/rural? ... *Willie O' Dea*... forget I asked that actually!
He made other remarks as well and he probably needed to apologise for what he said in the heat of the moment and it is at least to his credit that he was man enough to withdraw the remarks and make an apology.

Rosmuc

Dicks Arsehole

I am sure Arthur John Springs director of elections Uncle Dick will be in contact with this Limerick cllr. to make sure he does not open his mouth again on the subject. I think the people of rural Limerick will not take too kindly to these comments from a Labour cllr.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane

TonyBird

I think the people of rural Limerick will not take too kindly to these comments from a Labour cllr.
Perhaps if the rural folk didnt have such a profound and negative effect on Limerick Citys development , there wouldnt be such bitter words . I hope the folks in the county see sense and start helping the city instead of hindering it . Afterall even a dog knows not to sh!t on his own doorstep .

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com

Oh take your facts away, FT doesn't care for them very much ....

Definition of arsehole of nowhere

arsehole of nowhere
noun

* A fictional location used to denote a place that is very remote.

He bought a house out in the arsehole of nowhere.

by Gareth D., Kathmandu Metropolitan City, Nepal, Aug 05 2005
kinda hard to say that doesn't describe some parts of Limerick county...

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
These remarks cannot be judged in isolation. They need to be seen in a context of a wider anti-rural elitism in the Irish Labour Party e.g. Derek McDowell's "dingy pubs" jibe.
Senator Derek McDowell was in the news as a result of his criticism of the Government's decentralisation plans. He argued that many people did not wish to leave the capital because Dublin offered them a choice of what to do with their leisure time, compared "to a lot of those God-awful places down the country where all you have is a choice of dingy pubs to go to".

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies