Labour finishes last in Donegal, Gilmore "very satisfied" with McBrearty's showing

Skyrocket

Apparently Mr Gilmore is "very satisfied" with McBrearty's election performance.
Where is this almighty "Gilmore Gale"? Of course they'll trumpet the fact that they have gone from 3% to 10%, but for a party wishing to overtake FG in the next general election, this is a pathetic showing.

Tea Party Patriot

Apparently Mr Gilmore is "very satisfied" with McBrearty's election performance.
Where is this almighty "Gilmore Gale"? Of course they'll trumpet the fact that they have gone from 3% to 10%, but for a party wishing to overtake FG in the next general election, this is a pathetic showing.
The people are coping on to the fact that Labour are all spin and no substance. Maybe Gilmore might reconsider now and actually take a concrete position on something, oh and produce a set of figures as well.

civilserpant

gale will only blow where Labour had a real chance of taking a seat.. they didnt here, at least, not in a by election Doherty was always going to win.

I wouldn't read anything nationally into the Fg or Lab result here, they were always playing for seconds...

Richard Roma

gale will only blow where Labour had a real chance of taking a seat.. they didnt here, at least, not in a by election Doherty was always going to win.

I wouldn't read anything nationally into the Fg or Lab result here, they were always playing for seconds...
Exactly, it's difficult to take someone seriously who suggests otherwise... it's a bit like judging FGs election campaign on the basis of their support in Ballymun.

ned green

Labours problem is it has no true left wing ideology,in areas it's weak it believes in building from the top down eg "wonder Woman"in Sligo/NLeitrim,Mae"PD"Sexton in Longford etc.

setanta

Labour near-enough trebled its vote share in DSW but was nevertheless held back from any greater improvement by Pearse Doherty who hoovered up an enormous first preference vote share. Is it disappointing, yes and no. We would have preferred a higher vote share, of course, but McBrearty remains odds-on for a seat in the GE.

Pat Mc Larnon

If you sit and say nothing people are unaware you are an idiot, it is when you open your mouth that it removes all doubt. That is how Frank got caught out.

setanta

Labours problem is it has no true left wing ideology,in areas it's weak it believes in building from the top down eg "wonder Woman"in Sligo/NLeitrim,Mae"PD"Sexton in Longford etc.
Remind me again how many seats the Trotskyite fringe, that claims to be the only ones with a "true left wing ideology", has in the curent Dáil. Neither the Labour Party nor the Irish people will take any lectures on democratic politics from the trot fringe.

galleyslave

I'd say he's very satisfied alright - satisfied that brearty is a joke and there's another election soon. The search for a new candidate starts now...

Richard Roma

Labour near-enough trebled its vote share in DSW but was nevertheless held back from any greater improvement by Pearse Doherty who hoovered up an enormous first preference vote share. Is it disappointing, yes and no. We would have preferred a higher vote share, of course, but McBrearty remains odds-on for a seat in the GE.
That's pushing it a bit, odds on? He'll be up against the big boys in the General Election. The result was fine, that's it. Few people are expecting Donegal to turn into fertile ground for Labour just because the phrase "Gilmore Gale" is getting bandied about so there's no need to exaggerate.
Re the thread title, he didnt finish last, Sweeney was still on the ballot...

Pat Mc Larnon

McBrearty remains odds-on for a seat in the GE.
Fair play to you for staying around to fight the Labour corner, but that effort is simply bonkers.

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Odds on my hole.. he won't get next, nigh nor near a GE seat, and I'll give you whatever odds you like on that... The longer the campaign went on, the lower Franks vote was getting and likely to get... every time he opened his mouth he put his foot in it

I'd say Labour HQ are kicking themselves that they didn't get Thomas Pringle on the ticket.. he'd have some chance

The Dude

Skyrocket's second Labour-bashing thread of the day - you know you have 'em worried when they can't stop haviing a go at you...

Labour trebled their first preference share, no mean feat. It would have been miraculous to even challenge for a by-election

Clanrickard

Re the thread title, he didnt finish last, Sweeney was still on the ballot...
Yes in effect he did. Anne Sweeney asked for her name to be withdrawn but was too late. She pulled out.

Pat Mc Larnon

At least he has his 8 euro bonds to keep the wolf from the door.

gijoe

That attempt at spin is nearly as bad as what any FFer on here would try on. On this performance Labour would poll nearer 17% than 27% in the general election. But I am not deluded enough to claim that is the case. You put up a spectacularly bad candidate, that was your downfall. But now all the talk will be about how Labour just cannot convince the electorate.

Astral Peaks

What? Odds-on?

Best laugh I have had in ages!!!!!!!

Gilmore needed to rein McBrearty in, not Shreiky Joan!
Man was a liability.

Richard Roma

Yes in effect he did. Anne Sweeney asked for her name to be withdrawn but was too late. She pulled out.
In effect he did, but in reality he didn't. She "pulled out" because she's a no-hoper and wanted to run in the GE and keep whatever resources she has for that. I can't imagine the rationale for Lab or FG was much different, why waste a load of money campaigning now when its obvious Doherty will win. Whats of more interest is that people persist in focusing on Labour in a constituency they never really had a hope in. Worried?

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
If you think a true "left wing ideology" would help Labour in DSW, you need your head examined.

ned green

Remind me again how many seats the Trotskyite fringe, that claims to be the only ones with a "true left wing ideology", has in the curent Dáil. Neither the Labour Party nor the Irish people will take any lectures on democratic politics from the trot fringe.
Labour have a long time ago sold out their working class credentials.The ULA whom I support are fielding up to 20 candidates in the GE,covering most of the larger urban areas,I believe they will return enough deputies to form a Dail grouping with speaking rights.They will be to the forefront in opposing the cosy right wing consensus of Lab/blue shirts and ZanuFF.In Sligo/ NLeitrim we had the spectacle SusanO,Keefe speaking on the disgraceful day of the "Bailout" urging her parliamentary colleagues to support the Hair shirt FF,er Budget in the "National Interest".

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies