• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Labour: Irish people have had enough Austerity! surprise! surprise!

SKELLY

Not a month has passed since Labour's disasterous Meath East election result and all of a sudden Burton is out over the weekend saying that the Irish people have reached their maximum o Austerity.

And now this morning Gilmore said he wants to "end austerity" whatever that means!

Not to be left out how long before someone in FG calls for an end to Austerity

Congalltee

Austerity would be a good idea given we have a deficit of 7.5% and a debt/GDP ratio heading towards 120%. Pension tax relief, universal child benefit, fees on third level, no tax breaks for hotels/nursing homes/big houses and end loopholes so the effective rate of corporation tax is closer to 12%. Then freeze incremental pay rises in the public sector until the deficit is less than 3 %. Reduce public sector payroll by targeting the incompetent, incapacitated and redundant. Implement the McCarthy report.

When is austerity due to start?

wishywashy

Austerity would be a good idea given we have a deficit of 7.5% and a debt/GDP ratio heading towards 120%. Pension tax relief, universal child benefit, fees on third level, no tax breaks for hotels/nursing homes/big houses and end loopholes so the effective rate of corporation tax is closer to 12%. Then freeze incremental pay rises in the public sector until the deficit is less than 3 %. Reduce public sector payroll by targeting the incompetent, incapacitated and redundant. Implement the McCarthy report.

Smug. Very smug.

Lain2016

Not a month has passed since Labour's disasterous Meath East election result and all of a sudden Burton is out over the weekend saying that the Irish people have reached their maximum o Austerity.

And now this morning Gilmore said he wants to "end austerity" whatever that means!

Not to be left out how long before someone in FG calls for an end to Austerity
The politicians and their banker friends havent had austerity yet :mad:

eoghanacht

Nice one. Can I get sky sports?

SuirView

You will need to ask Joan & her Labour colleagues in order for you to get your question answered.

dagenict

Twitter
dagenict

What salry are you on .Then you can answere your own stupid remark.

paulp

If Labour want to stop cutting, and FG want to continue, what choice to labour have?

Threaten to pull the plug and face electoral annihilation?

friendlyfire

A give away budget in October.....what a load of bulls*it from our masters.Crumbs from the top table don't make me laugh Gilmore/Burton.

The Labour party have been willing accomplices in aiding with the right-wing austerity junkies who have been waging class warfare across Europe.

If politicians here or in Europe cared about balanced books they would do what's best to grow the economy and rectify social and economic imbalances. Prosperity does not trickle down. If given the chance, it can blossom up.

H.R. Haldeman

And I've had enough of Charlize Theron not being my girlfriend.

So, come October, I'm going to put my foot down, decide I've jolly well had enough of it and, you know, start going out with Charlize. Bish, bosh, done. Can't wait!

The Preacher

So, come October, I'm going to put my foot down, decide I've jolly well had enough of it and, you know, start going out with Charlize. Bish, bosh, done. Can't wait!
Hmmmm. Would, I wonder, that approach net me Halle Berry after all these years?

SilverSpurs

Has anyone got a pragmatic alternative to reduced public spending and increased taxation?

Analyzer

Nice one. Can I get sky sports?
No. But you can get "pass" on the Pravda Levy on social welfare, so that the quango providing propaganda will keep you from rioting.

greengoose2

Has anyone got a pragmatic alternative to reduced public spending and increased taxation?
According to Charles Dickens - "Example is far greater than precept". Now if our leaders could show us some example instead of living the Louis XIV lifestyle and stop sneering at the eejits who pay their pork barrel salaries the country might get up off its knees.

eoghanacht

No. But you can get "pass" on the Pravda Levy on social welfare, so that the quango providing propaganda will keep you from rioting.

Rioting? Will I get paid for that? Can I keep my medical card for the first 12 months?

DuineEile

Congratulations.

Hope she doesn't look like Aileen Wuornos first thing in the morning.

D

DuineEile

A ritual sacrifice to the Gods.

Bertie (special sacrifice by means of bottle of whiskey and revolver).

Cowen (forced to dry out before being garrotted)

Lenny (dig him up, break his bones and scatter them)

Noonan (let the McColes relatives pull the trigger)

Enda (rip his tongue out and make him sit in the Dáil and listen to Gerry Adams without being able to bleat on about Sinn Féin's past).

Gilmore and Rabitte ( I am afraid my imagination is insufficient to conjure up a horrific enough fate for them).

There. I feel much better now.

D

Congalltee

Woo bloody hoo...
Government deficit for 2012 comes in at 7.6% - RTÉ News

5 years of "Austerity" budgets and we have a deficit of 7.6% and a debt/GDP ratio of 117.5%.

In 1987, CJH's government after 4 years of 8% plus deficits (under FG/LAB) reduced the deficit to 1.6% with a proper Austerity programme. Why couldn't Ahern, Cowen and Kenny do the same? (There were plenty of options eg taxing €70bn in corporate profits, the €20bn on public sector pay and pensions when they are relatively overpaid, €20bn on a social welfare system which merely creates dependency, €11bn in tax reliefs, potentially billions in oil/gas off the coast (either get a decent deal or leave it there).

Austerity would be a good idea if we (and our leaders on €200k p.a.) tried it.

What is on the table now after 5 years of "austerity"?
- those declaring themselves bankrupt have to forgo private education fees for their offspring and satellite TV
- incremental pay increases in the public sector
- 1100 public sector allowances/expenses
- children's allowance
- payments to parents for expenses caused by communion and confirmation

Last edited:

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.
.....The Labour party have been willing accomplices in aiding with the right-wing austerity junkies who have been waging class warfare across Europe.....
But come the next GE they will spew out how as far back as April 2013 the Labour Party were fighting the austerity model and will quote blah blah. There is no hope for us as long as we actually listen to the blinkered seat grabbing politicians.