Labour more concerned with spin over substance

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Senior members of the Labour Party met last week to discuss how to improve the party's image ahead of the next general election. The party's national executive council met on Thursday to establish working groups on various issues, including one dealing with the branding of the party and its election hopefuls. It was rumored during last week that the party was considering dropping its famous red rose logo.

Finance spokeswoman and Dublin West TD Joan Burton expressed her strong distaste for the party emblem. "I don't like the current one, I have said that numerous times."

Dr Mary Upton said she preferred the old logo and said the party should revert to it. She said, "The old rose was a Labour Party label."

Deputy leader Liz McManus told the Sunday Independent that while she had no problem with the current symbol, she was open to see what alternatives could be developed. - SINDO - 27/03
Joan Burton, Minister for Finance... I can see she'd be a real policy heavy weight!

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Have you got a point? This doesn't prove that Labour is more concerned with spin over substance.

And you might want to be a bit wary of being sarcastic about other peoples' policy expertise, when the majority of your own posts have very little to do with policy or, indeed, anything other than rather facile criticism of those you oppose politically.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Labour reaches a new low in pursuit of press coverage

Labour and Fine Gael would be better served compiling a real policy program, Burton’s comments show she’s more concerned with the Party’s image than their policies – they’ve really reached new low in pursuit of press coverage

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Where are her policies then? Its been 8 months since the Mullengar Accord and we haven’t heard one joint financial policy from her or Richard Bruton! All we get is this drivel about how she'd like to see the party's logo changed... she’s got to be the poorest financial spokesperson of all parties.

magic_norhan

Joan Burton has proved herslef to be extreemely politically astute. Who exactly bought it to the attention of this government that there were people in this country who are extremely high earners and paying 0 tax.

I think that Labour is acknowledging that the media can sometimes ignore them in the big picture - Sinn Fein probably get twice as much coverage and yet have half as much support. Also some of the newspapers here are almost becoming fox news like in their agendas.

ireland2004

"I personally would prefer if the party used the starry plough rather than the rose."

Don't hold your breath on that ever happening.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
"Sinn Fein probably get twice as much coverage and yet have half as much support."

Probably because they are twice as interesting - have you ever seen a Labour Party Convention - its like something out of a retirement home!

Danny

Website
www.greenparty.ie
Wouldnt it be a shame if good policies were wasted because a party couldn't sell itself? There's nothing wrong with ensuring your party is media savy, nothing wrong with that at all!

jjcarroll

Website
www.semper-idem.eu
TK, there are are plenty of other reasons and ways to attack Ms. Burton. This however, is probably the lamest attempt I have ever seen.

What is your point exactly? That if she has views on the party logo, she is therefore an incompetent Finance Spokesperson? Sorry, I don't quite follow that logic.

ireland2004

"What makes you say that ireland2004?"

I just don't think your party will ever use the starry plough as its party symbol.

magic_norhan

have you ever seen a Labour Party Convention -its like something out of a retirement home
No but I've been to a vibrant Labour Youth conference with a big crowd, is all you can do resort to insults?

BarryW

Didn't Ogra SF get all hot and bothered over their logo a few months back, when they realised that it bore an unmistakeable resemblance to a petrol bomb ?!

A bit rich of you all to be criticising poor Joan

CJH

What alternative is being proposed? The current one is crap (actually all the parties' logos are crap) but what else is there? I don't think a Labour party under Pat Rabbitte is going to have the starry plough or the red flag as it's emblem.

JimHacker

Labour under Rabbitte and Finlay have turned to the right.

It is logical that they have done this - in a prosperous Ireland with a growing middle class thats where the votes are.
This has left the old DL voter with nowhere to go. Similarly the rural Labour vote is leaving the party as the rural organisation runs down.

The real winner in all this is SF who have taken the old Workers PArty/ Dl vote and the rural labour one.

Pity to see. Is it reversable?

New Threads

Most Replies