Labour MP Jared O’Mara under fire over pseudonymous posts

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Guido Fawkes uncovered the previously pseudonymous posts of a Labour MP

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/23/labour-mp-jared-omara-sheffield-hallam-sorry-girls-aloud-orgy
The Labour MP Jared O’Mara has resigned from the women and equalities’ committee after it was revealed he had posted a series of homophobic and sexist comments on online forums, around 15 years before he was elected....But he stepped down from the committee after it emerged that homophobic posts had appeared under his pseudonym on a fan website for the musician Morrissey in 2002, including references to gay men as “fudge-packers” and “poofters”.
Are there general lessons from this ?

cyp

Se0samh

blokesbloke

O'Mara eh?

This is what happens when you let Paddies hold any sort of office in the UK, they lose the run of themselves entirely.

Disgraceful behaviour, as a firm believer in equality and political correctness I think it's time Mr. O'Mara fecked off back to Ireland.

Last edited:

Fritzbox

15 years is along time, can we not accept he has grown up since then?

stopdoingstuff

It was 15 years ago and he was blaggaridng around. And while he obviously didn't mean for his jokes to be taken seriously, I can think of one little peace of Newspeak handed to him by the Politburo that he meant even less:

The MP said his views had changed significantly over the past decade and a half. “I have learned about inequalities of power and how violent language perpetuates them,” he said.
It is absolutely ok to make sexist, homophobic or racist jokes if they are only jokes. People who think otherwise are no different than a killjoy version of the Red Guard and they should stfu and pay more attention to actual issues e.g. foodbanks, Islamic extremism, homelessness.

Accidental sock

Yep - he was 21, had probably OD'ed on Southpark and has grown up. How many of us are the same as we were at 21?
Not like me. I've always been as perfect as I am now.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
O'Mara eh?

This is what happens when you let Paddies hold any sort of office in the UK, they lose the run of themselves entirely.

Disgracteful behaviour, as a firm believer in equality and political correctness I think it's time Mr. O'Mara fecked off back to Ireland.

As soon as I saw the name I assumed that he was an out-of-control person of paddy ethnicity.

Accidental sock

All this kerfuffle could have been avoided if the UK agreed anyone who's ever posted on a Morrissey fansite should be precluded from seeking public office.

Pretty sure it's in our Bunreacht, somewhere at the back.....near where it says about shoes with grey tracksuit bottoms.

New Threads

Most Replies