• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Labour- PE and Leaving Cert

Sync

Not a bad idea. It would have to be handled in a certain way, and not say given the same points as English/Home Ec/whatever, but the govt should be trying to fight the rapidly rising problems of childhood obesity. Giving say 50 points to children who pass a certain fitness level would be a good carrot to chase.

Congalltee

Ireland is in "Meltdown" and Labour want PE included as part of the Leaving cert!!!!!!

They are as bad as the Greens.... But at least they are now divulging what their policies and priorities are....

Labour wants PE included in Leaving Cert curriculum | BreakingNews.ie
Just because economics dominates political debate does not mean that all other ideas should be shelved.

There are other crises out there, such as,
pension time bomb,
environmental,
peak oil,
gangland crime,
misuse of prescription drugs,
illgeal drugs,
petty crime,
global warming,
dealing with waste,
dealing with the current baby boom in health and edcuation,
social welfare traps,
our antiquted mental health regime,
homelessness,

and
the obesity problem of the next generation.

Econdo

Not a bad idea. It would have to be handled in a certain way, and not say given the same points as English/Home Ec/whatever, but the govt should be trying to fight the rapidly rising problems of childhood obesity. Giving say 50 points to children who pass a certain fitness level would be a good carrot to chase.
Obesity in Children falls on the doorstep of the Parents......There are many after school sports that Children can participate in and indeed are encourage by schools and teachers... To make it part of the leaving Cert is just plain stupid.....

CookieMonster

Stupid idea.

Sync

But you can't encourage it really. If kids want to sit out, they'll sit out. There's no incentive. It's not like in America where extra-curricular work counts for anything. I like the idea.

The LC is fundamentally flawed. It's route learning. At least this way if I have to pay for other people's kids to go to college, there's a chance I won't have to pay for some fatty's hospital bills when they fall over into a McFlurry induced coma at 27.

rubensni

If religion is a leaving cert subject so should PE.

EvotingMachine0197

Seems a bit daft. If obesity reduction is the aim, I'm sure there's better ways e.g. nutrition ...

livingstone

A good idea. It would have to be a much expanded subject from what it is now, to incorporate sports education, fitness techniques, basic biology as well as practical on the field sports participation.

This is something that need cost the exchequer nothing, could help save a lot in reducing obesity and could transform PE from two hours a week of messing about on a football pitch to an actual worthwhile piece of education that teaches kids about teamwork, how their bodies work etc.

It's interesting that the critics have responded only with moronic 'it's stupid'. Let's hear the actual criticism of the policy? Or should every other issue facing the country be shelved while we discuss Anglo? Dare we consider a Government that could *whispers* address more than one policy area at a time?

EvotingMachine0197

Won't it cost at least another PE teacher in every school ? Not to mention the extra requirements for fitness related equipment ..

Mossy Heneberry

Just because economics dominates political debate does not mean that all other ideas should be shelved.

There are other crises out there, such as,
pension time bomb,
environmental,
peak oil,
gangland crime,
misuse of prescription drugs,
illgeal drugs,
petty crime,
global warming,
dealing with waste,
dealing with the current baby boom in health and edcuation,
social welfare traps,
our antiquted mental health regime,
homelessness,

and
the obesity problem of the next generation.
And don't forget people smoking in their own cars.

G

Gimpanzee

Why bother with an elaborate PE charade? Just produce a scales and a measuring tape each June do a BMI test and fail everyone who is obese and underweight and give the rest 100 CAO points. Cheap as chips and far more effective.

typical

It's never going to happen because there aren't the teachers to teach it nor the facilities in schools to facilitate it. Good idea or bad, it's not practically workable.

We all know what causes obesity and we know how to solve it. Anything the government do to "address it" is a pointless waste of time and money. You can't govern personal behavior, it's stupid to try.

Rocky

Won't it cost at least another PE teacher in every school ? Not to mention the extra requirements for fitness related equipment ..
Maybe, although I'd say a lot of schools already have all the equipment they'd need. It seems like a good way to spend money though and I doubt the sums would be a massive.

It obviously needs to be fleshed out a lot more then the few lines in the link, but I think it could be a good idea.

I also hate this argument that just because we have massive economic problems, everything else should just be forgotten. Labour has more then one spokersperson like the government has more then one Minister and are able to deal with more then one issue at once.

livingstone

Ehm, firstly, most schools have PE teachers who already teach PE. What this requires is putting flesh on the bones of the subject and then giving credit for an actual, legitimate subject - what you could do is just merge it with SPHE (I think it's called? Introduced about 5 years ago - basic healtha nd social education) I'm surious as to why people think that educatiing kids in religion is worthy of an exam but educating them in their own physical wellbeing is a 'stupid idea'.

Congalltee

And don't forget people smoking in their own cars.

Is that Labour policy too? Part of the the intended Physical Education Programme? Or just some off-topic feeble attempt at humour related to some other thread started in August? Good one.

Mar Tweedy

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea!

I say that as someone who had two left feet in school and wouldn't have been remotely interested in studying PE but I have noticed some female friends, but mostly male friends, who suffered a bit in the later stages of school because they were much more outdoorsy and active and struggled with the monotony of the other subjects - some have gone on to make careers in related areas such as PE teaching, sports physiotherapy or have very satisfying hobbies in mountaineering and surfing.

There is a huge and growing tourist industry associated with outdoor pursuits and as Ireland has a reputation - still! - as a beautiful country with gorgeous natural resources, having an educated population in physical activities is a brilliant idea.

Great for the tourist sector, great for the sports sector and great for the schools where even the 'two-left-footed' will benefit from the overall increase in knowledge and understanding of our bodies and how physical activity is necessary for well-being.

What's not to like oh kneejerk cynics?

livingstone

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea!

I say that as someone who had two left feet in school and wouldn't have been remotely interested in studying PE but I have noticed some female friends, but mostly male friends, who suffered a bit in the later stages of school because they were much more outdoorsy and active and some have gone on to make careers in related areas such as PE teaching, sports physiotherapy or have very satisfying hobbies in mountaineering and surfing.

There is a huge and growing tourist industry associated with outdoor pursuits and as Ireland has a reputation - still! - as a beautiful country with gorgeous natural resources, having an educated population in physical activities is a brilliant idea.

Great for the tourist sector, great for the sports sector and great for the schools where even the 'left-footed' will benefit from the overall increase in knowledge and understanding of our bodies and how physical activity is necessary for well-being.

What's not to like oh kneejerk cynics?
+1