• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Labour Rebellion? TDs on showdown with Joan over cuts.

Neutron

Looks like Labour TDs are set to have it out with Joan Burton over cuts such as child benefit and respite.

Could this be a Labour rebellion or just more kite flying to appease the public, its about time True Labour TDs stood up for the party's core beliefs and promises from their election manifesto.

God help those returning home for the weekend throughout the country

TWO LABOUR TDs have formally requested a meeting with Minister for Social Protection Joan Burton in a last-ditch attempt to avert the planned cuts to child benefit.

The two Dublin TDs, Eamonn Maloney and Michael Conaghan, are believed to be trying to pressure their party to roll back on plans which will see child benefit cut by €10 a month for the first two children, €18 for the third and €20 for the fourth child, TheJournal.ie understands.

A number of Labour TDs are believed to be unhappy with the adverse effect of the child benefit cut on working-class families with three or more children who rely on the monthly payment.Labour party chairman and Galway East TD Colm Keaveney has signalled his unhappiness with the Budget on Twitter and indicated that he too may seek changes to be made before voting on the social welfare elements next week.Last night he tweeted that the Budget vote held on Wednesday night was only a vote on “elements [of the Budget] that I can live with”.“Next week is a different story,” he tweeted.
Labour TDs to meet with Burton in last-ditch bid to stop child benefit cuts

R3volution_R3ady

Hopefully these monkeys will be wiped out soon enough. I'm sick of Labour and all their shite.

Mackers

Do turkeys vote for Xmas? Mmm wait and see.

True Republican

child benefit is way too high in ireland and labour need to go into opposition, cb needs to be cut to €100 per month.

bob3367

Cant see anything coming from this except a few surrendering the whip.

The vote will pass, the majority will toe the line.

Its not a massive reduction.

tigerben

Joan jumble sale for clothes Burton has put her self shoulder to shoulder with Rabbitte and Gilmore. All her false caring for the vunerable and Paye workers was left in a enveloped on the opposition benches with her principles.

d7bohs

Conaghan and Maloney are both older men, and with little hope of advancement: the real story would be Keaveney losing the whip. All the ambitious young turks are keeping quiet, but then there's not a cigarette paper's width of difference between the likes of Spring, O'Riordain, Kelly, Sherlock etc and their FG opposite numbers, except on 'social issues'.

True Republican

Cant see anything coming from this except a few surrendering the whip.

The vote will pass, the majority will toe the line.

Its not a massive reduction.
the cuts in social welfare were only a drop in the ocean compared to what should have happened.

SKELLY

This is straight outta the FF bankbenchers playbook from the last gov.

Pretending to play the angry opposition from within the gov.

Neutron

I read somewhere that Joan had told Ruairi Quinn to order schools to drop the uniforms that have a Logo on them so parents can purchase uniforms from the likes of Tesco for peanuts.

I would think this would be an excellent idea I Quinn actually did this but so far schools still use the logo uniforms and some schools even go for strange multicoloured shirts that cant be purchased for less than €30 for a shirt, and these shirts arent the type Dunnes or Tesco would sell.

Neutron

the cuts in social welfare were only a drop in the ocean compared to what should have happened.
You do realise there have been social welfare cuts for the past 6 budgets, have a guess whats happened. The local domestic economy has died. Cutting from those who spend every cent in the local economy hasnt worked and wont worked.

Yesterdays budget has killed off what left on the domestic economy. I for one will shop up North from now on.

d7bohs

Conaghan and Maloney are both older men, and with little hope of advancement: .
Just realised something interesting; both men are former members of Kemmy's DSP. You will remember that their former leader brought down a previous FG/ Lab coalition.

Ryan Tubbs

So let me get this straight:

Labour backbenchers want to pick and choose what sections of the Budget they vote Yes or No to.......

....but they expect Fine Gael to whip its backbenchers into line on the Abortion issue.....

That's an interesting take on democracy, isn't it?

True Republican

You do realise there have been social welfare cuts for the past 6 budgets, have a guess whats happened. The local domestic economy has died. Cutting from those who spend every cent in the local economy hasnt worked and wont worked.

Yesterdays budget has killed off what left on the domestic economy. I for one will shop up North from now on.
tax increases have destroyed the economy, not very modest cuts in welfare, its more effective to cut public spending than increasing taxes in getting a country out of recession, people who are unemployed shouldn't be spending their dole money or mickey money on non essential items like booze or cancer sticks.

True Republican

So let me get this straight:

Labour backbenchers want to pick and choose what sections of the Budget they vote Yes or No to.......

....but they expect Fine Gael to whip its backbenchers into line on the Abortion issue.....

That's an interesting take on democracy, isn't it?
i know the hypocrisy of labour backbenchers.

tigerben

Pure telecom rang during the week, did I know Eircom wasn't Irish , and would I consider switching to keep the money in Ireland! Told him the government gives it away anyway and the money it does take in , isn't managed at all.

And So I Said

there will be a protest on behalf of family carers and those who lost their respite grants tomorrow at noon outside the Dail.

All welcome.

Mackers

I read somewhere that Joan had told Ruairi Quinn to order schools to drop the uniforms that have a Logo on them so parents can purchase uniforms from the likes of Tesco for peanuts.

I would think this would be an excellent idea I Quinn actually did this but so far schools still use the logo uniforms and some schools even go for strange multicoloured shirts that cant be purchased for less than €30 for a shirt, and these shirts arent the type Dunnes or Tesco would sell.
Parents should goto the schools and demand this nonsense stops. This practice is intolerable at anytime but at times like these it is nothing short of disgusting.

culmore

If the rebels dont want these what cuts do they want in social Welfare as thats where the cuts have to come .

The OD

Labour are in the same place as the Greens were with Fianna Fail - The kleptocratic Party.

Do they stay the course and try to recoup the loss of support they have suffered or do they pull the plug now and brave the electorate?

This is the ONLY thing that concerns them now, how this will play into possible seat numbers in the next GE. Everything else is window dressing for the public sector, sorry, their supporters benefit.