• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Labour support FG pact by a crushing majority

TheChief

anti-pact dissidents overwhelmingly beaten in Tralee - 80% support for Rabbitte's position.

Will the whingers now unite behind Rabbite ?

Danny

Website
www.greenparty.ie
I was surprised by the margin of victory. I want an alternative coalition put forward, but I wanted it to be by a very narrow majority, which would have contrasted nicely with the Green unity two weeks ago and thus give them an edge.
BTW, has the FG Ard Fheis been on yet, or when is it due? I wonder will Pat go!

TheChief

The margin of victory has to be a surprise-

Given all the hype over the issue, the result has to mean that there is massive anti-FF sentiment among Labour's grassroots; and that ordinary members were suspicious of the motives of Howlin, mcdowell haughton and the rest (ie. that they secretly want coalition with FF)

Anyone agree ?

BarryW

Rocky

It's good to see. It dramatically improves the chances of a different government next time around and I think it will help both parties. It also shows us that Labour Youth and people like Howlin do not represent the views of the majority of the people in the Labour party.

BarryW

dax said:
I think you'll find that the vast majority of Labour Youth delegates voted in favour of coalition.
Are you trying to be cryptic, dax ?!

I presume you meant to say: "voted in favour of coalition with Fianna Fail"

:wink:

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Woohoo,

This will make our plan of overtaking Labour even quicker to realise.

Best of luck Pat. Can't wait to see your puss looking like Noonans did last time

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
Looking from the outside I must say that it looks like an odd electoral strategy to enter a general election as somebody else's junior partner.

geraghd

Trefor said:
Looking from the outside I must say that it looks like an odd electoral strategy to enter a general election as somebody else's junior partner.
They arent going in as a junior partner, depends on the actual election outcome! and if it was based on current support standing are you suggesting a less odd pact would be for Labour to alliance with SF or the PDs??

Trefor

Website
oclmenai.blogspot.com
geraghd said:
Trefor said:
They arent going in as a junior partner, depends on the actual election outcome! and if it was based on current support standing are you suggesting a less odd pact would be for Labour to alliance with SF or the PDs??
No, no. You're better not going into a pact with anyone. There are obvious disadvantages of going into a pre election pact - you'll be dragged righwards, leaving the left vote for others to fight over, the centre ground is competetive & every vote will be at a premium there, & the media will simplify things - as they always do - & turn it into a straight FG / FF competition. The PDs have done well seatwise with very few votes, partly by refusing to identify themselves too closely with FF.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Labour have entered into a pact with a center-right party. With the centre ground already dominated by FF and FG, the net result of this pact will be the annihilation of the Labour Party. Fringe parties like Sinn Féin & Greens will make substantial gains when carve up the left of centre.

My real fear is, post-election, post-Rabitte, Labour won’t even have enough seats to enter a coalition with Fianna Fáil. Sinn Fein will be real winners as they move into third position…

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies