Labour's 2006 Begin to Buy Scheme

goosebump

Labour seem to have gone into gloat overdrive at this stage. No harm to them, I suppose. Why wouldn't they?

But it is a bit hard to stomach given some of their forays into housing policy in recent years.

Take this for example, their Begin to Buy Scheme, drafted by none other than Mr. Perfect himself, Eamon Gilmore:

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/towards_new_housing_plan_nov06.pdf

Back in the 2006, the big issue of the day was the price of houses, and how people couldn't afford them.

Labour's solution was that the State underwrite the mortgages of first time buyers, which doesn't sound like a policy you'd propose if you thought we were at the business end of a property bubble.

Thankfully, its a policy they never got to implement.

Reality bites

problem with your smear attempt is that in the years previous to this Gilmore as environment spokesperson had tabled private members bill to implement many of the proposals of the Kenny report and regulate development land.

Come 2006 we were where we were, with massively inflated house and land prices so a proposal was put forth to help people in those circumstances. Its not ideal but it was an attempt to address problem, especially in areas of Dublin.

Reality bites

This was title of bill in 2003
Planning and Development (Acquisition of Land) (Assessment of
Compensation) Bill 2003
Planning and Development (Acquisition of Development Land) (Assessment of Compensation) Bill 2003 [PMB] (No 41 of 2003) - Tithe an Oireachtais

and here is a link to policy submission by Gilmore in 2003 to All-Party Committee on the Constitution. "The Constitution and the Cost of Building Land".
From 2003 “The Constitution and the Cost of Building Land” -a Submission on behalf of the Labour Party to the All-Party Committee on the Constitution. « Irish Election Literature Blog

hope that helps

spidermom

Can I start a similar thread on failed Green party policies especially on health....

Co-location, the new childrens' hospital,universal health insurance,tara etc
OR...can I post this LIE from Mary White on Crumlin Children's Hospital.....http://marywhitetd.com/newsletters/Kilkenny-June2009.pdf

You really want to go down this road Goose??
GEEZ...you must be feeling desperate.
This kind of thread is beneath you, under normal circumstances!!

GordonGekko

in the years previous to this Gilmore as environment spokesperson had tabled private members bill to implement many of the proposals of the Kenny report and regulate development land.
I'm surprised you would bring that up in light of the recent story of Gilmore's wife getting such an enormous amount for such land.

oggy

Labour seem to have gone into gloat overdrive at this stage. No harm to them, I suppose. Why wouldn't they?

But it is a bit hard to stomach given some of their forays into housing policy in recent years.

Take this for example, their Begin to Buy Scheme, drafted by none other than Mr. Perfect himself, Eamon Gilmore:

http://www.labour.ie/download/pdf/towards_new_housing_plan_nov06.pdf

Back in the 2006, the big issue of the day was the price of houses, and how people couldn't afford them.

Labour's solution was that the State underwrite the mortgages of first time buyers, which doesn't sound like a policy you'd propose if you thought we were at the business end of a property bubble.

Thankfully, its a policy they never got to implement.
Have to admit I do not remember this crazy proposal. Am sure its one of a number FF could use as a rebuttal to the very disturbed rant by Rabbitte tonight

Reality bites

I'm surprised you would bring that up in light of the recent story of Gilmore's wife getting such an enormous amount for such land.
what- should she have given it away for free?
Labour want a third rate of tax - should all labour tds voluntarily pay that 3rd rate until we are in government to introduce it.

Believe me when i tell you every voter i have spoken to over last 2 weeks sees through the Indo story for the bare knuckled attack on gilmore that it was. I went out of my way while canvassing to raise it with voters to see what they thought.
The only people going on about it are those who hate Gilmore and Labour and are attempting to use it to smear him. People know the price that was paid for land during the boom in all places in ireland and sad thing is that 525k wasn't even that much compared to some of the sums spent on land and offices etc.

Desperate Dan

problem with your smear attempt is that in the years previous to this Gilmore as environment spokesperson had tabled private members bill to implement many of the proposals of the Kenny report and regulate development land.

Come 2006 we were where we were, with massively inflated house and land prices so a proposal was put forth to help people in those circumstances. Its not ideal but it was an attempt to address problem, especially in areas of Dublin.
Just as well nobody took him up on that or the Gilmores would not have got the price of the plot they sold. :shock2::roll::eek:

goosebump

It was an attempt to curry favour with middle-class voters, which had it been implemented would have left the State with an even bigger bill than it now has.

If Labour had been concerned about the ability of young people to buy houses, they should have been proposeding policies to deflate the market, not introduce more willing buyers into the market.

eg they could have proposed higher capital reserve requirements for banks.

However, the problem with that would have been that they would have lost votes from nice people in leafy suburbs who liked nothing better to meet up with their friends for cocktails and discuss the value of their houses.

goosebump

And of course FF and their various mudguards would never do likewise?
Of course they would.

I'm merely pointing out that Labour didn't know we had a property bubble in 2007, despite their claims to the contrary.

oggy

10 replies and 193 views to this thread. Now if FF had been the authors of the crazy proposal the figures would be 600 replies and 18000 views

The more I visit this message board and others the more FF I become

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies