Labour's Nicky Kelly withdraws name from running for Labour GE nod in Wicklow

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Labour Councillor Nicky Kelly has withdrawn his name from the list of contenders seeking to become Labour candidates for Wicklow in the General Election.

I spoke to Cllr Kelly briefly this morning who confirmed he'd withdrawn his name. I asked him if he planned to leave the party and he said no.

Pauli

Odd. In the current climate, Nicky would be a good shout for a seat in that constituency.

Mushroom

That would fit in with the recent story in The Phoenix regarding how Labour was carving up Wickla. As KingKane has observed, Labour is every bit as nepotistic as the other parties.

Desperate Dan

The trains are too unreliable from Wicklow.

lebowskilite

Website
elchle.tumblr.com
Labour have divided the constituency into two, and McManus and Kelly weren't in the same section, so I don't see how this signals that Labour are being nepotistic.

Truth1

Labour Councillor Nicky Kelly has withdrawn his name from the list of contenders seeking to become Labour candidates for Wicklow in the General Election.

I spoke to Cllr Kelly briefly this morning who confirmed he'd withdrawn his name. I asked him if he planned to leave the party and he said no.
Good idea for labour- the truth would emerge if he was close to a seat.

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
Labour have divided the constituency into two, and McManus and Kelly weren't in the same section, so I don't see how this signals that Labour are being nepotistic.
One of the other nominees is related to the former TD Liam Kavanagh isn't he?

Mushroom

Correct.

Gilmore's Labour Party doesn't believe in widening the gene pool unless it's absolutely necessary.

clytaemnestra

I would normally rail against dynastic politics, except that Ronan McManus is too handsome and I want to see more of him.

magic_norhan

So it's to be the sons of TDs and former TDs it seems like, Labour aren't a new aristocracy just a different one.
No - Ronan McManus narrowly lost the nomination to Anne Ferris

The simple fact is Nicky didnt contest because he knew he wouldn't have votes at a convention - This is not to do with dynasties swatting aside anyone. He didn't have the votes going into the 2007 convention and he didnt have them this time.

Anne Ferris, Tom Fortune and Conal Kavanagh (son of Liam Kavanagh) are the 3 selected candidates.

Mr Tiddles

No - Ronan McManus narrowly lost the nomination to Anne Ferris

The simple fact is Nicky didnt contest because he knew he wouldn't have votes at a convention - This is not to do with dynasties swatting aside anyone. He didn't have the votes going into the 2007 convention and he didnt have them this time.

Anne Ferris, Tom Fortune and Conal Kavanagh (son of Liam Kavanagh) are the 3 selected candidates.

I'm Delighted for Anne Ferris who narrowly defeated Ronan McManus, I have nothing against Ronan personally, but I think the interference of Liz in the Arklow Local election business back fired on her..

I'm also delighted for Tom Fortune & Conal Kavanagh, Good luck to them all in the up and coming elections.

I'm sorry that Nicky Kelly pulled out, as he's a great work horse, but I heard there was interference there again by the outgoing Liz also..

lebowskilite

Website
elchle.tumblr.com
Ah ye, I wasn't aware of that, honestly. I geddit now.

wickalah

I'm Delighted for Anne Ferris who narrowly defeated Ronan McManus, I have nothing against Ronan personally, but I think the interference of Liz in the Arklow Local election business back fired on her..

I'm also delighted for Tom Fortune & Conal Kavanagh, Good luck to them all in the up and coming elections.

I'm sorry that Nicky Kelly pulled out, as he's a great work horse, but I heard there was interference there again by the outgoing Liz also..
Liz McManus (in a top hat and black cape) last seen exiting stage left laughing up her sleeve.

Get real, Nicky knew he didnt have the votes. If he is anything, it is a pragmatist.

Mr Tiddles

Liz McManus (in a top hat and black cape) last seen exiting stage left laughing up her sleeve.

No top Hat & black cap now! and no Ronan as TD...

wickalah

No top Hat & black cap now! and no Ronan as TD...
Think you missed the joke about you painting Liz McManus as a machiavellian pantomime villain there Tiddles.

Anne Ferris is a very dedicated hard worker, and also very aware of the social problems afflicting families in hard times. We went through a few very hard times together in the past. Delighted for her. She's very brainy by the way. Very.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies