Lady Sylvia: I expect to see a border poll in my lifetime

between the bridges

Paddy power offering even odds on McSlabbers next OP being about the border or Brexit or Brexit and the border...

death or glory

Dame_Enda

As a Southern nationalist who expects this to be defeated if it does come to a vote in the near future, I think perhaps Unionism should agree to a referendum just to put the issue to bed for a generation. SF are exploiting Brexit to try to reopen the border question.

On the other hand I am a bit worried that a referendum could be destabilising in terms of sectarian and social and possibly paramilitary tensions.

Mickeymac

OMG why would anyone in Northern Ireland discuss the border or Brexit. Crazy stuff....

Indeed McS, if you were a onionist, why on Earth would you want to discuss your inevitable future in the new Ireland of equals:lol:

Mickeymac

As a Southern nationalist who expects this to be defeated if it does come to a vote in the near future, I think perhaps Unionism should agree to a referendum just to put the issue to bed for a generation. SF are exploiting Brexit to try to reopen the border question.

On the other hand I am a bit worried that a referendum could be destabilising in terms of sectarian and social and possibly paramilitary tensions.

Crazy ignorant troll response, go get a book or something and learn something about your own Country.

belfast1981

I do agree with her, I do see one in my lifetime.

I don't think Republican's will get a UI in the first attempt though, I think there is still too much of a bridge right now. I do feel Republican's will have to convince people the benefits of a UI more than Unionists will in convincing people to stay in the Union. Maybe more due to the 'Status Quo' to steal a SF line.

It will certainly be an interesting build up to any referendum. The onus will be on SF and SDLP to really sell how a new and united Ireland would work, and truthfully, I don't think they are able to do so. The mindset, at least within the older generation of Republicans is a lot like Brexit.

Give it to us now, work out how later.

They will have a lot of questions that need answering, and it could make or break their cause. At least short term.

michael-mcivor

Another one afraid of a Democratic election- I would like to see a border-poll tomorrow- and if by some chance it is defeated another referendum 7 years later etc etc- if the Unionists lose there is nothing in the GFA that can allow them another vote 7 years later- such bad negotiators they and the Brits were- it’s almost laughable-

boldfenianman

One of the crackpots on here asked me what I meant by a decent unionist last week .. She would be another good example... a good person who also happens to have more wit than the entire DUP seem to possess in total..
A sterilised one or one who has emigrated? Or one who has converted to the true faith? You know , the one that Jesus sent Peter to Rome to create? Not some sect created to make a divorce easier for a fat pig.

boldfenianman

If unionism possessed such a quality of being good strategists, they would have fought politically tooth and nail to have had the border poll on the same day as the Brexit vote.

The voters in June 2016 had not a clue about the devastating effect Brexit would have on their standard of living, finances etc and for my money I would have said a vote by the false statelet on that day would have been a small majority to remain within the divided kingdom.

As more alarming revelations become apparent over the next few months regarding the effects of Brexit, I have no doubt a border poll shortly will result in a resounding YES to depart the divided kingdom.
https://www.businessworld.ie/news/Aptiv-moves-Global-headquarters-to-Dublin-570767.html

Mickeymac

I don't think Republican's will get a UI in the first attempt though, I think there is still too much of a bridge right now. I do feel Republican's will have to convince people the benefits of a UI more than Unionists will in convincing people to stay in the Union. Maybe more due to the 'Status Quo' to steal a SF line.

It will certainly be an interesting build up to any referendum. The onus will be on SF and SDLP to really sell how a new and united Ireland would work, and truthfully, I don't think they are able to do so. The mindset, at least within the older generation of Republicans is a lot like Brexit.

They will have a lot of questions that need answering, and it could make or break their cause. At least short term.

I read your post Bel, a couple of times and I feel the need to remind you of the GFA, nobody, unionist or nat has to convince any one of anything........50% plus 1 vote is all it takes for Irish Unity to happen according to the International Agreement which has been signed up in the UN.

boldfenianman

If it were to be fairly close the idea is that enough of them would be un-nerved enough to fook off. A couple of years later another one. Even closer. More of them fook off. You get the idea. They are a lot older than our people. Prods don't seem to understand this. Every day that passes our people grow stronger. Why? Because the Prods are dying out. Do some research. It is beyond dispute. Sectarian? But that is their Raison D"etre!

GabhaDubh

I read your post Bel, a couple of times and I feel the need to remind you of the GFA, nobody, unionist or nat has to convince any one of anything........50% plus 1 vote is all it takes for Irish Unity to happen according to the International Agreement which has been signed up in the UN.
Plus 20 years in existence, without a legal challenge.

Mickeymac

If it were to be fairly close the idea is that enough of them would be un-nerved enough to fook off. A couple of years later another one. Even closer. More of them fook off. You get the idea. They are a lot older than our people. Prods don't seem to understand this. Every day that passes our people grow stronger. Why? Because the Prods are dying out. Do some research. It is beyond dispute. Sectarian? But that is their Raison D"etre!

TBF sir to Bel81, he is a unionist, read his post and see for yourself the way his leaders sold the GFA to his community as illustrated in his post above.

McSlaggart

Its now more a choice between staying in the union of the UK or the Union of Europe.

Mickeymac

Its now more a choice between staying in the union of the UK or the Union of Europe.

Unfortunately, this is one very important issue that unionist political leaders have failed to explain to their votebase.

Callers to radio phone ins from their flock advertise their ignorance of the whole process.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies