Lagarde's first speech as ECB head

McTell

Twitter
No

truthisfree

Assuming that leaders are paid to lead, this is disappointing.

It comes across as "X, Y and Z are happening to us". It should be "we are at A and we will get to B in a decade, and here's how".
This is exactly the time to be looking at XYZ not the time for projecting into the future.

mr_anderson

Did she mention Deutsche Bank or Commerzbank ?

In terms of share price, Deutsche Bank stock is down more than 80 percent over a ten-year period, while Commerzbank shares have lost nearly all its value over that period, with shares down nearly 90 percent.

Barroso

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
Were they heavily involved in the Dublin finance centre?
I seem to remember comments that the bank guarantee was about keeping German banks' heads above water.

Some german deposits were held in the name of irish companies, and so part of lenihan's sell was that he was protecting "Irish depositors".

That said, a "real" irish human depositor has had no return in the past decade. This has an effect on pensions funding. But when they printed money to refloat europe in 2014, it was given to the banks who mostly invested in shares and enriched the rich.

So this time round, a larger money print, but targeted on what will build houses or create jobs. Or green projects. Why tax at 30-40% when a lot of 10-year money can be had for about 0%?

The value of the euro would be supported by slightly high rates, say 2% up, avoiding the negative returns and easing deposits / pensions.

I'm an armchair economist of course, and I realise that instant cash doesn't mean instant houses and PV farms. All the paperwork that slows projects down can be streamlined, if it's not a new concept, just "more of the same".

McTell

Twitter
No
I go along with this guy, but why did it take him a decade to realise what the rest of us could see?

Harsh austerity ‘imposed on Ireland’ by Berlin, says ex-official
Republic caught in crossfire between Germany and other bailout states

blinding

YouKnowWhatIMeanLike

Were they heavily involved in the Dublin finance centre?
I seem to remember comments that the bank guarantee was about keeping German banks' heads above water.
guarantee was mostly to secure US and UK banks, and don't forget the MNC deposits in Irish banks. they had to be protected at any cost.

greencharade

Assuming that leaders are paid to lead, this is disappointing.

It comes across as "X, Y and Z are happening to us". It should be "we are at A and we will get to B in a decade, and here's how".
Nothing in there about changing the "Draghi put" i.e. provide as much money as needs from the ECB to keep markets happy.

What I would like some insight on is how much longer stock markets can be inflated by share buybacks funded through cheap money? At what point can such companies not reasonably take on more debt?

McTell

Twitter
No
Did she explain her historical dodgy dealing ?

Strikes me she was promoted above her skillset, but handily ticks one of the right boxes, being female.

Popular Threads

Most Replies