Lancet: Irelands heath system 13th best in the world.

gleeful

In a hugely comprehensive study The Lancet has ranked every nations health care system accounting for quality and access across hundreds of factors.

Andorra tops the poll with a score of 95, followed by the likes of Iceland, Norway, etc

Ireland comes in at 13th place with a respectable score of 88 - level with the likes of France and Canada.

The UK is at 30th and the US at 35th place.

http://www.thelancet.com/cms/attachment/2094714513/2077254606/gr2a_lrg.jpg

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)30818-8/fulltext

OldHat

In a hugely comprehensive study The Lancet has ranked every nations health care system accounting for quality and access across hundreds of factors.

Andorra tops the poll with a score of 95, followed by the likes of Iceland, Norway, etc

Ireland comes in at 13th place with a respectable score of 88 - level with the likes of France and Canada.

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(17)30818-8/fulltext
But what about the posters here who claim we have a 3rd world health service? Are they wrong?

FunkyBoogaloo

Well if the Lancet said so... then it must be true.

Here is a 2015 quote from the editor of the selfsame publication -

“The case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness.”

But don't let me stop a few paddies patting themselves on the back because Ireland achieves a high number on a list somewhere in something or other (a score that usually counters Irish peoples' real experiences of whatever area is being scored).

Another example would be corruption indexes.

In other words.... yawn.

rainmaker

Administrator
It is not a Lancet study. The Lancet has ranked nothing. It is the American Global Burden of Disease Study 2015 funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - the Lancet is simply reporting its findings.

Yet another misleading thread title.

Last edited:

JCR

Well if the Lancet said so... then it must be true.

Here is a 2015 quote from the editor of the selfsame publication -

But don't let me stop a few paddies patting themselves on the back because Ireland achieves a high number on a list somewhere in something or other (a score that usually counters Irish peoples' real experiences of whatever area is being scored).

Another example would be corruption indexes.

In other words.... yawn.
Is there something supposed to be wrong with what the Lancet published there? Science in medicine is a constantly evolving thing. Its simply the nature of it. We find out more every day.

callas

But what about the posters here who claim we have a 3rd world health service? Are they wrong?
Well it is hardly a good thing that we are in the bottom 182 nations in the world.

A matter of the greatest shame.

What this article incontrovertibly proves is that the Irish health system needs be promoted to 4th or 5th world at least.

3rd world is old hat at this stage and just does not do justice to our misery.

Last edited:

PC Principle

Paying half your earnings in tax and only 13th?

That's pathetic.

Congalltee

It is not a Lancet study. The Lancet has ranked nothing. It is the American Global Burden of Disease Study 2015 funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - the Lancet is simply reporting its findings.

Yet another misleading thread title.
This is a misinformation website. Don't expect a correction.

galteeman

I don't get it either. Every time I use a hospital it's like entering a 5 star hotel with perfect facilities catering to my every need.
Last week I was at St. Vincent's private hospital to see a consultant to check my back and it was wonderful. I made the appointment 2 days before and showed up at 8am and was out by 820am. Before that I went for a scan at the avidea clinic in Dundrum and was seen to within minutes for my MRI scan. Top class facilities all round, well done Ireland.
Then I hear on the radio that people are waiting in pain for months for the same service because they refuse to pay and prefer to get it for free.
If they are in agony why don't they just pay the consultant, it's only 180 quid? I mean they must be very tight not to pay that small amount to have their agony sorted right?

HenryHorace

I don't get it either. Every time I use a hospital it's like entering a 5 star hotel with perfect facilities catering to my every need.
Last week I was at St. Vincent's private hospital to see a consultant to check my back and it was wonderful. I made the appointment 2 days before and showed up at 8am and was out by 820am. Before that I went for a scan at the avidea clinic in Dundrum and was seen to within minutes for my MRI scan. Top class facilities all round, well done Ireland.
Then I hear on the radio that people are waiting in pain for months for the same service because they refuse to pay and prefer to get it for free.
If they are in agony why don't they just pay the consultant, it's only 180 quid? I mean they must be very tight not to pay that small amount to have their agony sorted right?
It's people like you that think 180 euro isn't a lot of money for some people that will never understand what it's like to live in FG's Ireland.

Wascurito

There's a certain type of far-leftist who feels they should have done much better electorally in the 2008-2016 period. Having missed that "opportunity", their only tactic now is to pretend that conditions are far worse than in other countries, to try to capitalize on any lingering anger.

As I keep repeating here, if people actually travel a bit, they'll find that every European country is facing similar problems and a lot of them aren't coping as well as us.

Merovingian

This is a misinformation website. Don't expect a correction.
Christ this is a den of ignorance. There is no such thing as 'a Lancet Study'. There are no Lancet reseachers or writers. It is a medical journal of the first rank that publishes peer reviewed work by medical reseachers from around the world. It has editors and invited commentary. It has no monopoly on the truth. I'm not surprised that any narrative that suggests that the Irish Health Service is anything but lousy meets a tsumani of derision on this site.

If cynicism and negativity improved health services we'd all live to 110 in this country.

greengoose2

There's a certain type of far-leftist who feels they should have done much better electorally in the 2008-2016 period. Having missed that "opportunity", their only tactic now is to pretend that conditions are far worse than in other countries, to try to capitalize on any lingering anger.

As I keep repeating here, if people actually travel a bit, they'll find that every European country is facing similar problems and a lot of them aren't coping as well as us.
Travel does that for you. What an interesting analysis. Are you including European countries which are not in the European Union in your in-depth analysis?

Note to self; check Ryanair website for educational bargains.

A couple of family members needed the health service in the past few months. They came up trumps on each occasion.

Fair does.

As a nation we don't do praise very well.

enuffisenuff

best is all relative

What sort of services were required? Presumably by couple you men two? Maybe they were lucky!
Of course it's possible that they were lucky. My mother needed extensive care over a period of some months and she got it along with some home care. My niece needed urgent mental health assistance and she was treated very well and continues to be. I'm not painting rosy pictures here out of nothing; when they needed help they got it. At the same time, I go with your "lucky" and I conceded that I have no way of assessing the real day-to-day state of things.

The health service is something which will always be complained about. The French bitch about theirs (ours) and the English rail at the NHS. Maybe I've been uncommonly lucky, but I've had excellent experiences in all three countries when needing healthcare.

The Brits should pat themselves on the back for their work in this direction. Although maybe not. That might cause a dislocation or some form of torsion injury.

New Threads

Most Replies