Lancet: Irelands heath system 13th best in the world.

Analyzer

It is not a Lancet study. The Lancet has ranked nothing. It is the American Global Burden of Disease Study 2015 funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - the Lancet is simply reporting its findings.

Yet another misleading thread title.
Study funded by large corporate concern that is here of minimise their social commitment via taxation, finds that Ireland does not need to raise taxes on large corporations here to minimise their tax bill........

Something very suspect about this.

Politics matters

I don't get it either. Every time I use a hospital it's like entering a 5 star hotel with perfect facilities catering to my every need.
Last week I was at St. Vincent's private hospital to see a consultant to check my back and it was wonderful. I made the appointment 2 days before and showed up at 8am and was out by 820am. Before that I went for a scan at the avidea clinic in Dundrum and was seen to within minutes for my MRI scan. Top class facilities all round, well done Ireland.
Then I hear on the radio that people are waiting in pain for months for the same service because they refuse to pay and prefer to get it for free.
If they are in agony why don't they just pay the consultant, it's only 180 quid? I mean they must be very tight not to pay that small amount to have their agony sorted right?
Yeah 180 quid, that's all it costs:roll:

hammer

Study funded by large corporate concern that is here of minimise their social commitment via taxation, finds that Ireland does not need to raise taxes on large corporations here to minimise their tax bill........

Something very suspect about this.
You have gone very negative over the last 2 years.

Do you see any positives in anything ?

Jim Car

Given the amount we spend on health in terms of % of GDP I'm surprised we are not higher. But then again its well know the problem we have are more to do with management then funding.

Filibuster

Ireland's healthcare is good in some areas. It's accessing it is the problem.

We are mostly let down by poor organisation of primary care and too many people being brought to hospital for things that should be done in the community.

That and there are on going ridiculous waiting lists in some specialties and they simply need to be sorted out - excuses are just becoming inexcusable. We have the resources we aren't using them correctly.

Ireland could be way up this ranking towards the top if we simply reorganised things a bit !!

Erudite Caveman

As a nation we don't do praise very well.
Well, we seem to think the dead are great. Especially The Men of 1916. And Martin McGuinness. Much better than the living anyway.

And we praise those who emigrated and took the only brains we had; they're great too, not like the feckless oafs that are left behind to run a gombeen klepocracy.

And the lads playing GAA for say Meath, are every bit as good as Messi and better than Ronaldo. Unless you are from Louth. Then they are they are worse than Hitler.

So it depends, we're great at praise as long as it isn't praising the people who do stuff here.

gatsbygirl20

But what about the posters here who claim we have a 3rd world health service? Are they wrong?
The lazy use of "Third World" is a gross insult go those who actually live in the Third World.

Most people would agree that once you get onto a ward in our hospitals, the care is excellent.

It is our A&E system which is terrible. Spending 20 hours in A&E watching elderly people on chairs and cancer sufferers without pain meds---naturally that tends to cloud one's judgement of the whole system.

You don't forget that in a hurry

users

It is not a Lancet study. The Lancet has ranked nothing. It is the American Global Burden of Disease Study 2015 funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - the Lancet is simply reporting its findings.

Yet another misleading thread title.
I think you misunderstand what the Lancet does.

It's not a newspaper.

It publishes peer-reviewed papers if they are of sufficient quality.

There's sort of an irony in this thread today.

Daughter came home from a routine appointment today. The wheelchair arrives on Wednesday.

Orbit v2

No, I was waiting six months for a colonoscopy, they're definitely not wrong.
You can get it in two weeks privately. So, the problem with our system is inequality. And while that aspect wasn't addressed in the study, it's still silly to say our health system is comparable with the third world.

Politics matters

You can get it in two weeks privately. So, the problem with our system is inequality. And while that aspect wasn't addressed in the study, it's still silly to say our health system is comparable with the third world.
Of course it's a silly comparison, but it's a poor system relative to other high tax economies.

In hindsight I should have paid the 2,000. Nothing came of it anyway.

Many people in Ireland have serious bowel problems, which is why I was waiting so long.

mr_anderson

Ireland's healthcare is good in some areas. It's accessing it is the problem.

We are mostly let down by poor organisation of primary care and too many people being brought to hospital for things that should be done in the community.

That and there are on going ridiculous waiting lists in some specialties and they simply need to be sorted out - excuses are just becoming inexcusable. We have the resources we aren't using them correctly.

Ireland could be way up this ranking towards the top if we simply reorganised things a bit !!
Poor organisation is a major problem.

Also, we're let down by the fact that people don't take care of their own health.
They eat too much, smoke too much, drink too much and don't exercise enough.
Then when they inevitably get sick, they complain about the health service.

There's no point in critics saying the French health system is better than ours when ours has to deal with 3 or 4 times the amount of heart attacks etc.

Finbar10

Haven't read the paper quoted in the OP. However, I'd say the problems in our health system aren't with the standard of care as such when one eventually gets that care, but with the unequal access to that care and value for money of the system.

From when a person is first diagnosed with a serious condition like cancer, he'll get fairly fast access to good treatment. Under such a criterion I'm sure we'd perform well. Speed of diagnosis can heavily depend on level of private health insurance however. A public patient with symptoms that might possibly be a serious condition but probably aren't will probably wait months or even years for diagnostic tests. Someone with mid-level health insurance might wait a month or two. Someone with more expensive health insurance might wait a week or two. The final treatment for all will probably be of a similar standard. The long wait for the public patient probably won't do a lot for final outcomes.

We also spend a relatively high percentage of our GNP on our health care (we rank towards the top in Europe). However, we also still have one of the smallest percentages of old people in Europe, e.g. Germany has proportionately double the number of old people we have. Factoring that into account, our spending would be the highest in Europe. As the percentage of old people in the population doubles or becomes 2.5 times higher in the coming decades, this inefficiency in our system could become a real problem.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom