Lancet: Irelands heath system 13th best in the world.

sic transit

Yet we hear reports from people who have attended A&E in other countries while on holiday and they tell a very different story.
Clean hospitals, efficient staff, waiting times two hours at most and these are public hospitals not private clinics.
If other countries can do it why can't Irish hospitals?
A lot of countries have proper primary care systems. In our case A&E is still almost the first port of call for a lot of people. Sheer numbers is a part of the problem here.

I'm sure that a lot of people working in the health service who do their best but there are too many vested interests who put their own interests before any concern for patients.

Most people's experience of our health service is in A & E departments and they are a total mess. How would they cope if there was ever a major catastrophic event is frightening to even contemplate.
Thing about a catastrophe is people go beyond what is required and that is not just Health service................... anybody who heard stories of 9/11 and knew a few people in NY at that time tell of people stepping up to the plate.

When a catastrophe happens ordinary people do extraordinary things.

TheWolf

Any mention in the report of the almost 700,000 on hospital waiting lists?

Fritzbox

75 years vs 81 in Ireland.
The 60 euro fee to visit a doctor in Ireland for 10 mins is probably about equal to a week's wages in some countries in Europe, including Macedonia.

Orbit v2

How does implementing an e-booking system on its own, cause such an improvement in Macedonia's ranking? One reason could be that once you are given a date, however far in the future, you are no longer on a waiting list? Not an unreasonable thing to do, but it's hardly really such a great improvement in the health system?

It's interesting though the IT chose to pluck out a report published months ago which says Ireland is worse than Macedonia, over one published a few days ago which says Ireland is 13th in the world. :roll:

Last edited:

nakatomi

How does implementing an e-booking system on its own, cause such an improvement in Macedonia's ranking? One reason could be that once you are given a date, however far in the future, you are no longer on a waiting list? Not an unreasonable thing to do, but it's hardly really such a great improvement in the health system?

It's interesting though the IT chose to pluck out a report published months ago which says Ireland is worse than Macedonia, over one published a few days ago which says Ireland is 13th in the world. :roll:

Chaos and corruption: an everyday tale of health care in Macedonia | The BMJ

Macedonia 'Losing Corruption Fight', NGO Says :: Balkan Insight

PBP voter

Healthcare is in trouble all around the world.

Shortage of staff and the huge rises in the cost of medicines plus equipment are big problems that seem to be only getting worse.

Eg

More than 10,000 nursing posts unfilled in London - BBC News

Health Care Costs and Medical Technology - The Hastings Center

Almost everyone knows that this country has a scandalously large number of people who lack health insurance, now up to 46 million and growing. That number is vivid and evocative. But it has overshadowed another, more serious issue—that of the steady escalation of health care costs. Largely due to the use of medical technology, those costs are now increasing at an annual rate of 7% a year. The Medicare program as a consequence is projected to go bankrupt in nine years, and overall health care cost to go from its present $2.1 trillion annually to $4 trillion in 10 years.
Add in the fact the people are living longer and it's becoming the perfect storm.

galteeman

galteeman

Healthcare is in trouble all around the world.

Shortage of staff and the huge rises in the cost of medicines plus equipment are big problems that seem to be only getting worse.

Eg

More than 10,000 nursing posts unfilled in London - BBC News

Health Care Costs and Medical Technology - The Hastings Center

Add in the fact the people are living longer and it's becoming the perfect storm.
I saw the BBC program on diabetes due to unhealthy lifestyles recently and that may be the biggest factor in the increase in healthcare costs. It now takes a massive 10% of the entire NHS budget and that is a recent enough development. I wonder what impact it's having on our services, probably massive too.
Cost of Diabetes

PBP voter

I saw the BBC program on diabetes due to unhealthy lifestyles recently and that may be the biggest factor in the increase in healthcare costs. It now takes a massive 10% of the entire NHS budget and that is a recent enough development. I wonder what impact it's having on our services, probably massive too.
Cost of Diabetes
Then when a sugar tax is talked about all the public do is bitch and moan about a nanny state.

If you behave like kids..........

galteeman

Then when a sugar tax is talked about all the public do is bitch and moan about a nanny state.

If you behave like kids..........
Yep, people have no exercise, smoke, eat lots of junk and then they rock up and cost us a fortune on healthcare. Hard to have much sympathy for them really.

Fritzbox

Yep, people have no exercise, smoke, eat lots of junk and then they rock up and cost us a fortune on healthcare. Hard to have much sympathy for them really.
But surely, if you lead such an unhealthy lifestyle you are bound to die earlier - and in doing so become less of a burden on the state?

galteeman

But surely, if you lead such an unhealthy lifestyle you are bound to die earlier - and in doing so become less of a burden on the state?
In the show on BBC those people live for years on medication, sometimes they require amputations. Recently a kid of 14 years was diagnosed which is crazy.
It costs a fortune to deal with them anyway.

hardanro

There's a certain type of far-leftist who feels they should have done much better electorally in the 2008-2016 period. Having missed that "opportunity", their only tactic now is to pretend that conditions are far worse than in other countries, to try to capitalize on any lingering anger.

As I keep repeating here, if people actually travel a bit, they'll find that every European country is facing similar problems and a lot of them aren't coping as well as us.
I had some very bad blood test results which needed further investigation. Since, I didn't even get the appointment letter (3-4 months after getting the results from GP), I decided to go to what you would consider a third world country, for a medical check-up.
In 2 weeks while I stayed there, I saw 4 consultants, did blood tests. MRI, chest X-Ray, abdominal ultrasound, colonoscopy (they were looking for neoplasms since the blood anomaly could have been reactive - a cancer side effect), bone marraow biopsy, got a diagnosis and also a treatment for my disease. Usually all the appointments were made in the same week.
After coming home, the appointment letter to see a hematologist in Dublin also arrived, and the appointment is somewhere at the end of 2017, 1 year and 3 month after the blood test results.
So I wonder, which one of the countries has the better outcome?
But you're right, you can't compare our health system to a 3rd world country. It's a long way for Ireland to get there.

New Threads

Top Bottom