Lancet: Irelands heath system 13th best in the world.

johnnypockets

I had some very bad blood test results which needed further investigation. Since, I didn't even get the appointment letter (3-4 months after getting the results from GP), I decided to go to what you would consider a third world country, for a medical check-up.
In 2 weeks while I stayed there, I saw 4 consultants, had an MRI, chest X-Ray, abdominal ultrasound, colonoscopy (they were looking for neoplasms since the blood anomaly could have been reactive - a cancer side effect), bone marraow biopsy, got a diagnosis and also a treatment for my disease. Usually all the appointments were made in the same week.
After coming home, the appointment letter to see a hematologist in Dublin also arrived, and the appointment is somewhere at the end of 2017, 1 year and 3 month after the blood test results.
So I wonder, which one of the countries has the better outcome?
But you're right, you can't compare our health system to a 3rd world country. It's a long way for Ireland to get there.
What country did you go to?

Wascurito

I had some very bad blood test results which needed further investigation. Since, I didn't even get the appointment letter (3-4 months after getting the results from GP), I decided to go to what you would consider a third world country, for a medical check-up.
In 2 weeks while I stayed there, I saw 4 consultants, did blood tests. MRI, chest X-Ray, abdominal ultrasound, colonoscopy (they were looking for neoplasms since the blood anomaly could have been reactive - a cancer side effect), bone marraow biopsy, got a diagnosis and also a treatment for my disease. Usually all the appointments were made in the same week.
After coming home, the appointment letter to see a hematologist in Dublin also arrived, and the appointment is somewhere at the end of 2017, 1 year and 3 month after the blood test results.
But you're right, you can't compare our health system to a 3rd world country. It's a long way for Ireland to get there.
What country do I consider a third world country?

galteeman

In 2 weeks while I stayed there, I saw 4 consultants, did blood tests. MRI, chest X-Ray, abdominal ultrasound, colonoscopy (they were looking for neoplasms since the blood anomaly could have been reactive - a cancer side effect), bone marraow biopsy, got a diagnosis and also a treatment for my disease. Usually all the appointments were made in the same week.
If you got scary bloods why didn't you just pay to go see a consultant in Ireland? If you pay you don't have to wait long right?

Rory Buckley

Primary Healthcare

:DThe Dublin Dental University Hospital offers Primary Health-care.
The Hospital has replaced the initial examination of a patient’s need with an examination of the patient’s suitability for teaching needs.

“The training of the student dentists is a primary function of this Hospital”, posted on dentalhospital.ie/patient-information/access-to-services, is a half-story (leithscéal)

Reasons why “teaching hospital” is a half-story include,

1. The Hospital was established by the Minister for Health, not the Minister for Education.
2. The Hospital (Establishment Order) 1963 lists “conduct, maintain and manage a hospital” (function b) before that of “training students” (function c)
3. Examining the patient’s need at a first appointment is essential Primary care and suitable work for students under supervision.
4. Ombudsman Case HB2/15/0767, available on request (085-1361445)

Rory Buckley

Oral Hygiene

:DThe reply to Dail Question Number 386 is mischievous. “There have been no changes to the Dublin Dental Hospital’s patient acceptance procedures for student clinics.” This is not true.
One change is breathtaking in scope; Primary healthcare, in which, at a first appointment, a student examines a patient’s need (patient centred) is changed to Primary healthcare, in which, at a first appointment a professor examines a patient’s suitability for teaching needs (student centred).

A core activity at the Hospital, clinical service (function b), ordered by the Minister for Health, is undermined. (irishstatutes.ie/eli/1963/si/129)

The Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) is unable to examine the issue, because the Health Service Executive (HSE) does not fund the Dental Hospital. Part-funding for the Hospital, over €20 million, was provided in equal measure (50%/50%) by the Departments of Health and Education. The ratio is now 50% Education, 25% Health.

boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057657841

RodShaft

Of course it's possible that they were lucky. My mother needed extensive care over a period of some months and she got it along with some home care. My niece needed urgent mental health assistance and she was treated very well and continues to be. I'm not painting rosy pictures here out of nothing; when they needed help they got it. At the same time, I go with your "lucky" and I conceded that I have no way of assessing the real day-to-day state of things.

The health service is something which will always be complained about. The French bitch about theirs (ours) and the English rail at the NHS. Maybe I've been uncommonly lucky, but I've had excellent experiences in all three countries when needing healthcare.

The Brits should pat themselves on the back for their work in this direction. Although maybe not. That might cause a dislocation or some form of torsion injury.
Our health service is patchy. Excellent in some areas, dangerous in others.

Rory Buckley

Primary Healthcare

:D Irish Hospital says, examining a patient’s suitability for teaching needs, at a first appointment, is a Clinical Service. (dentalhospital.ie/patient-information/access-to-services)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom