• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Landlords: Who investigates them?

We've had the usual caterwauling about cheating social welfare recipients and rightly so. But how much investigation goes into the financial affairs of landlords, especially Absentee Landlords?

I've been doing a bit of investigating because of people asking my advice regarding bad landlords, not repairing or paying for repairs or replacement of essential items and I was bloody amazed at the amount of so-called landlords who are not actually the landlords at all. And if I could find out so much from sitting in a chair in my house, looking at lease agreements etc., why can't the Department who pays rent relief do the same.

These are business people, living abroad, renting out multiple houses, but never using their own names as landlord on leases, but names of relatives, in one case as I discovered, a dead relative.

Do you see what I'm getting at? Tax dodgers, big time.

We've had the usual caterwauling about cheating social welfare recipients and rightly so. But how much investigation goes into the financial affairs of landlords, especially Absentee Landlords?

I've been doing a bit of investigating because of people asking my advice regarding bad landlords, not repairing or paying for repairs or replacement of essential items and I was bloody amazed at the amount of so-called landlords who are not actually the landlords at all. And if I could find out so much from sitting in a chair in my house, looking at lease agreements etc., why can't the Department who pays rent relief do the same.

These are business people, living abroad, who rent out multiply houses, but never using their own names as landlord on leases, but names of relatives, in one case as I discovered, a dead relative.

So I presume you contacted Revenue Commissioners with your alledged findings ?

quackquack

The reason that the lease agreement may not have the actual landlords name, is that there is an automatic 20% withholding on rent for non resident landlords.
Landlords can assign a resident as a tax intermediary, so the 20% deduction is not automatic. It does not impact the year end taxes paid or owed.
Otherwise the ownus on the 20% with holding falls on the renter, which would not be an ideal situation under the current law - without an intermediary, the renter is responsible for thenon resident landlord's taxes.

The intermediary assumes responsibility for the taxes, as they are resident in the state, and can be persued for same.

Nothing to see here, beyond using the dead relative, which i assume would be against the law

Rent relief also withhold 20% of payments automatically like rent allowance, if the landlord is non resident and does not have an assigned resident to manage tax for them.

Last edited:

Barnacle

These are business people, living abroad, renting out multiple houses, but never using their own names as landlord on leases, but names of relatives, in one case as I discovered, a dead relative.

I wonder do their relatives know? Are the leases actually in the relatives names or is the relative down as a collecting agent? Does the relative have a separate PPS number for this purpose? What information does the tenant put on the Rent Relief form? Sorry, just a few questions that sprung to mind.

Cato

Just wait until Cael gets a hold of this thread.

I wonder do their relatives know? Are the leases actually in the relatives names or is the relative down as a collecting agent? Does the relative have a separate PPS number for this purpose? What information does the tenant put on the Rent Relief form? Sorry, just a few questions that sprung to mind.
All I know is that in three cases, the rents were paid by Direct Debit to 3 different accounts, yet the same man owns the houses.

In one case, a different landlord, the money is paid in cash by the tenant each week, the landlord refusing to either sign a lease or agree to a direct debit? Weird.

controller

Why would FF want to investigate their own??? The biggest sin in FF is getting caught...

Cato

riker1969

Supposedly the PRTB-you do knows this dont you?????? I am a landlord and am fully tax compliant but the system is a bit of a joke. When I registered for the second home tax they didnt know the place existed despite it being there for 10 years.

martino

Just you wait til we get to Vienna Lazarus-no more worries with landlords there. And don't forget about the icing on the cake-the pool on the roof!

Barnacle, I don't have a clue only what I can see from paper trails. I'm a blow-in, but the locals know whats going on, in fact they think its great getting one over on the government! I just wondered how widespread this thing is? If it is?

Just you wait til we get to Vienna Lazarus-no more worries with landlords there. And don't forget about the icing on the cake-the pool on the roof!
I'm thinking martino, I'm thinking. Imagine having a pool on the roof instead of one in the kitchen from a leaking bathroom.:D

martino

I'm thinking martino, I'm thinking. Imagine having a pool on the roof instead of one in the kitchen from a leaking bathroom.:D
I know, tempting isn't it. And this is affordable housing in a city with a great infrastructure. Have you ever swum in an outdoor heated pool in Winter, when mist rises from the water? It's the business, I tell you. Every morning a few dozen masterful lengths in the pool-sets you up great for the day.

Barnacle

Barnacle, I don't have a clue only what I can see from paper trails. I'm a blow-in, but the locals know whats going on, in fact they think its great getting one over on the government! I just wondered how widespread this thing is? If it is?

It used to be more widespread then it is now but it still goes on. If the relative has a separate PPS number for the purpose of this rent collection, then there is no worries. From memory, and it is a while since I dealt in this, I think this PPS number is the one that is to be used on the PRTB form and the Rent Relief form. Amazing that the locals are behind this if there is something dodgy going on. Suppose it takes all sorts.

Are the properties registered with the PRTB? You should be able to find this out online.

It used to be more widespread then it is now but it still goes on. If the relative has a separate PPS number for the purpose of this rent collection, then there is no worries. From memory, and it is a while since I dealt in this, I think this PPS number is the one that is to be used on the PRTB form and the Rent Relief form. Amazing that the locals are behind this if there is something dodgy going on. Suppose it takes all sorts.

Are the properties registered with the PRTB? You should be able to find this out online.
I saw two of the properties registered okay, but not to the landlord's name. That's what I don't understand. Another odd thing. One tenant who pays DD got a call fro the bank askng if she had any contact number for her landlord. She gave her landlord's number and he rang her and told her never to give his number to anyone.

R u flirting elsewhere now Lazarus? Methinks ur an awful flirt!;)
I tell you junius, it's great fun. Life really does begin at 40 and some months, well a lot of months, well......look I don't want to put him off in case Cruimh falls through and Cruimh doesn't like foreign travel bur martino! Jaysus, martino could be a woman. Arrghh!

Barnacle

I saw two of the properties registered okay, but not to the landlord's name. That's what I don't understand. Another odd thing. One tenant who pays DD got a call fro the bank askng if she had any contact number for her landlord. She gave her landlord's number and he rang her and told her never to give his number to anyone.

I think the information on the form for registration with the PRTB is the Collecting Agent as you have to put a PPS number down.

The phone call from her bank was a bit weird, why did her bank want to speak to someone she was paying a DDI to. I can well understand the landlords annoyance at this.