Language Test for Canadian Citizenship.

Cruimh

Bit of upset because Canada has changed the rules - used to be that an oral interview was used to decide if somebody who wanted Canadian citizenship could speak English fluently (which is in itself an interesting requirement considering the language issue in Quebec) but this has changed to a mandatory written examination, which means that people from England have to prove they have English.

Of Course Irish Central have taken Umbrage - which is in itself ironic ....

Anger as Irish must pass English-speaking test to become Canadian

Young Irish immigrants in Canada have expressed their annoyance at being forced to undertake an English-proficiency test, despite English being their first language, when applying for Canadian permanent resident status. Some immigration lawyers are also calling on the Canadian federal government to set aside the requirement to prove English-speaking proficiency when the applicant for permanent residency is a national of a country where English is one of the official languages.

"Common sense has left the building," immigration lawyer Guidy Mamann told CBC Toronto.

Ireland’s two official languages are Irish and English and, while not every Irish person speaks Irish, the nearly everyone speaks English as their first language. This is not enough to exempt Irish citizens, however, from having to take the online (Canadian) English test when applying for Canadian permanent residency status, a crucial step on the road to citizenship.
Loved this bit - de Valera will be spinning in his grave ....

Mamann explained that prior to 2013, applicants could simply prove their proficiency through an interview with an immigration officer, but that the new CAN$265 ($208) written test is completely online and unavoidable.

"It makes us look a little bit too bureaucratic," he said. "Obviously we want to have an objective standard but there has to be some allowance for common sense.

"We're asking people who basically invented the English language to prove they speak English."
Of course there is a tie in to support from the Trump administration for the RAISE act in the USA

The RAISE Act looks to cut the number of legal immigration in half, putting in place requirements that mean applicants must speak good English, be able to financially support themselves and their families, and demonstrate skills that will contribute to the US economy.

silverharp

reminded me that the there is an online speaking test for some Australian visas and that some Irish people were failing because of their accent as it was all computer controlled.

tsarbomb

Of course you'll need to put some work in if you want to gain citizenship of another country. Naturally there will be lazy people who will complain.

We should have a similar test.

Spanner Island

reminded me that the there is an online speaking test for some Australian visas and that some Irish people were failing because of their accent as it was all computer controlled.
I've seen various programmes about Australia's border control etc. in which some Irish have had to be subtitled... so I doubt they'd have passed the oral anyway...

Perhaps a written test will improve some peoples' chances...

I've no problem with this anyway... as far as I can see Canada seems to be getting most things right in their national development and have created and continue to create a much more civilised example of how things can be done than their southern neighbours have...

Clanrickard

Bit of upset because Canada has changed the rules - used to be that an oral interview was used to decide if somebody who wanted Canadian citizenship could speak English fluently (which is in itself an interesting requirement considering the language issue in Quebec) but this has changed to a mandatory written examination, which means that people from England have to prove they have English.

Of Course Irish Central have taken Umbrage - which is in itself ironic ....

Anger as Irish must pass English-speaking test to become Canadian

Loved this bit - de Valera will be spinning in his grave ....

Would he pass?

Cruimh

Of course you'll need to put some work in if you want to gain citizenship of another country. Naturally there will be lazy people who will complain.

We should have a similar test.
I get the feeling that there is some kind of sense of entitlement by people from Ireland and the the UK in respect of emigration to North America, Australia and NZ.

Morgellons

Can French speakers get in with just French? And if you can speak both French and English, can you get in twice?

Is it worth going to Canada these days, seriously?

Florence

It does not seem to be a requirement to have fluent English to get an Irish passport. I have met quite a number of the 'new Irish' and while some had better English than others, I wouldn't call any of them fluent and some had what I would term only basic English and poor written English. I have been helping one such person to get a FETAC 5 qualification and it is difficult due to her basic English. She's struggling with the course and really needed outside help.

tsarbomb

I get the feeling that there is some kind of sense of entitlement by people from Ireland and the the UK in respect of emigration to North America, Australia and NZ.
Well, emigrating is one thing and applying for citizenship is another. I know a few people who went to work in those countries and I didn't get any notion of entitlement from them on the issue.

tsarbomb

It does not seem to be a requirement to have fluent English to get an Irish passport. I have met quite a number of the 'new Irish' and while some had better English than others, I wouldn't call any of them fluent and some had what I would term only basic English and poor written English. I have been helping one such person to get a FETAC 5 qualification and it is difficult due to her basic English. She's struggling with the course and really needed outside help.
Being an Irish passport holder and being Irish are two different things these days.

Spirit Of Newgrange

half the knackers in England cannot speak English .

Congalltee

Judging by the standards of some posts on this site, quite a few would struggle with the written test.
But its there problem if they loose out (sic)

Last edited:

fergal1790

Would he pass?
Sir, SIR! I think we have an alien sir? Can someone call MIB.

The Australian test is afaik a 5 modules, the applicant must pass 3 of the 5 modules but get no less than 30% in any module and have a total score of above 60%.

Odyessus

I find that hard to believe. Surely the Australians are not so stupid as to believe all visa applicants will speak with an Australian accent?

Odyessus

And this of course is the real reason that Canada does not want to exempt Irish or British citizens from the English competency test, even if it is not politically correct to explain.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies