• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Large curtailment of TV & general toughening up of UK prisons -a model for Ireland ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Prisoners stripped of right to watch TV - Telegraph
Prisoners will no longer automatically receive perks such as
televisions, the freedom to wear their own clothes and shorter
working hours, the Justice Secretary will announce.

In future, all prisoners will initially have to wear uniforms and will
be banned from having televisions in their cells.
There will be a blanket ban on subscription television channels and
access to 18-certificate DVDs.
Seems sensible to me , what do others think ?

cYp

Heligoland

Why is it sensible?

The punishment is supposed to being deprived of your liberty, not being deprived of Coronation Street.

APettigrew92

Hard Labour needs to be introduced.
Sure, because that worked so well for the British.

The fact is that where there is a society there will always be crime. It is common human nature. Especially when individuals are relatively pampered here. In many ways, Irish Prisons end up being somewhat better than a life of uncertainty on the street.

Two things prevent crime. 1) A strong enough deterrent to dissuade individuals from even considering the act, such as tough laws, spartan-like Prisons, deprivation of luxuries and 2) Investment in deprived areas and sustainable education and work schemes.

You may remember that a lot of number two went out the window when the Master Criminal Banking Sector all but tore the country asunder.

Before you're going to introduce Hard Labour on those we do imprison, why don't we first actually arrest those who have so far evaded the law?

Icelandic bankers jailed for reckless loans made before crash - Independent.ie

ShoutingIsLeadership

Sh1tting into a bucket in the cell which they share with other men who may also sh1t in that bucket, before carrying that bucket down the corridor the next day, to be emptied, is far too soft for tv licence dodgers, shoplifters, and the likes.

APettigrew92

Sh1tting into a bucket in the cell which they share with other men who may also sh1t in that bucket, before carrying that bucket down the corridor the next day, to be emptied, is far too soft for tv licence dodgers, shoplifters, and the likes.
You could argue Fair City is a form of torture banned by the UN. I can see that argument standing.

These individuals have TV's and Game Consoles, but we forego proper sanitation?

I would sooner trade an 18-inch TV for a good book and a toilet to read it on rather than bore myself to tears watching Irish television.

Heligoland

A strong enough deterrent to dissuade individuals from even considering the act, such as tough laws, spartan-like Prisons, deprivation of luxuries
People who commit crimes generally don't think they are going to be caught.

If they believed they were going to be caught, they wouldn't do the crime.

Tea Party Patriot

You could argue Fair City is a form of torture banned by the UN. I can see that argument standing.
Well the US did use Barney videos on Iraqi prisoners as a form of torture, I shudder to think how much worse torture by Fair City or Coronation Street would be!

olli rehn

Bring the chain gangs back- plenty of work needs to be done !

Aindriu

There hasn't been slopping out in British prisons for over 15 years - unlike here.

Aindriu

Ask any Prison Officer what it is like to deal with stir crazy prisoners, id say let them have TV as long as they are not on our streets the better.
I agree. This will only be in force for a couple of weeks before the riots start in prisons.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
In a world where entertainment now is seen as access to the Internet, playing games online etc. a proposal to turn the clock back decades by denying access to tv seems a bit regressive.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
But isn't prison meant to be tough ?

cYp
It is one of the reasons for prison alright. It is meant to be a deprivation of liberty, it is meant to reform them, it is meant to protect society, and yes it is meant to punish which should involve a deprivation of comforts or even certain basics. Just think if they have had tvs for a couple of decades, it would be seen as pretty much a basic.

B

Boggle

Ask any Prison Officer what it is like to deal with stir crazy prisoners, id say let them have TV as long as they are not on our streets the better.
You only have to deal with them if they are let out of their cell.
Don't let them out of their cell.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Single occupancy cells, minimum guard numbers, minimum interaction between offenders, cold basic food and no tv.
Prison needs to be cheap and safe. Thats all.
If they have tvs, not sure that dumping them would be that cheap, and might only increase tensions.

Even with tvs, prisons are very unpleasant places. Even remand prisons are bloody grim and can be violent. I say leave them a couple of tv channels anyway.

louis bernard

I agree with you completely that TV license dodgers etc do not deserve such treatment, but it is just the ticket for the scum of the earth who robs peoples houses, terrify old people and assault whoever gets in their way. Lots of sh1tting in buckets and for a lot longer and cut back on the food and lock up for at least 20 hours a day.