• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Last minute canvassing

skeptical

Hahahaha ............... I was just coming back last night from watching the champions league ...... after drowning my sorrows after Liverpool lost........ It must have been about 2.30am and there was two Fine Gael boys posting vote John Bailey fliers !!

POTUS

Would be interested to hear the candidates who are canvassing by text today.
Seems to be backfiring badly on them.
Please post.

talkie

I know a fellow Labour party member who got one from Frances Fitzgerald.

Obviously, obtained illegally.

I was canvassed by a FF candidate (not Curran) - well actually, I wouldn't call it canvassing, he was trying to make it a buddy type chat (I hadn't revealed my affiliation), next thing he casually takes out his mobile and asks for my mobile number.

Littlesapling

Website
migrant-isitjustme.blogspot.com
Okay then...it was purporting to be from Pat Rabitte and not only did it come to my unlisted number it also said my first name and asked for my number one...Its funny if it had been from Ff or the PD's I'd be hopping but..I'm just intrigued and a little peeved because of data protection

Eddiepops

Well I've been texting everyone I know all day, any chance it was actually from some not too familiar acquaintance?

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
talkie said:

I was canvassed by a FF candidate (not Curran) - well actually, I wouldn't call it canvassing, he was trying to make it a buddy type chat (I hadn't revealed my affiliation), next thing he casually takes out his mobile and asks for my mobile number.

maybe you were just getting chatted up?

I haven't got any. I'm surprised really but then again I don't really care. Anyone who takes a look at todays London Independant will see there is a lot more important things to worry about in terms of data protection. Google are planning to build personal databases to store imformation on people so as to aid them in making decisions such as what should I do tommrow or what job should I take. kinda chilling

Littlesapling

Website
migrant-isitjustme.blogspot.com
daithimac said:
talkie said:

I haven't got any. I'm surprised really but then again I don't really care. Anyone who takes a look at todays London Independant will see there is a lot more important things to worry about in terms of data protection. Google are planning to build personal databases to store imformation on people so as to aid them in making decisions such as what should I do tommrow or what job should I take. kinda chilling
Thats freaky.
I'm not really that bothered about the text I'm intrigued and yes it couldn't be from a distant aquantance because there was no number just Pat Rabitte's name where the number should be.
My childrens school have a similar system..they send texts to remind of days off and the principals name comes up.Its official methinks

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
I have seen this before. There are quite a few programes you can download which allows you to send text messages to a database of numbers. The programmes are free and sending the messages can be done for a small fee. under the data protection act you are entitled to ask any organisation what information they have on you. I'm sure some concerned citizen with just a little to much time will do so but quite frankly the time it takes to pick up phone look at said message and then ignore said message does not make it worth it.

talkie

daithimac said:
talkie said:

Probably not, I had just told him I'd be voting Curran before him so he probably thought he could keep pestering me.

Otherwise, it was a terrible missed opportunity on my part. :cry:

POTUS

last minute canvassing

It seems Bertie himself p***ed off a lot of punters in Dublin Central by leaving voicemails on phones this morning!

FirstTime

From RTÉ:
Election 2007: Watchdog probes text canvassing
Thursday, 24 May 2007 17:45

A number of candidates in today's General Election have been sending out mobile phone texts urging people to vote for them.

Many of the recipients were not happy to be contacted in such a way.

The Data watchdog has said it has had a number of calls about text canvassing.

Wolverine

Texted three times by Joe Carey (FG, Clare).

First to ask me for my No 1.

"Good morning, Joe Carey here, the winning of a seat could be by a handful of votes. I would appreciate your support and No. 1 & that of your friends. Thank you."

Then the following, at 10:20 AM:

"4 hours left to go... thank U if you have voted already. If not, YOURS could make the difference. Thank you joe"

Followed by:

"APOLOGIES for the earlier text & disturbing you again! Polling FINISHES at 10:30 TONIGHT in 10 hours time! Got a bit excited seeing the finishing line! Joe"

Wot a Plonker....

Ceacg

On Wendesday, I saw the Bailey people in Dunnes Cornelscourt doing their bit. It was a moritorum day.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies