Last Words of Texas Death Row.

Truth.ie

The Texas state Dept has released online the last words of all those executed over the last decade or so.
Some pretty sad cases. Not sure if it changes your view one way or the other but a lot of them seemed to be full of penance and some even felt like they deserved to die. Obviously a lot claiming innocence to the end, other refused to say anything..
One guy, Alvin Goodwin from Montgomery has this placed by the State, "He spoke only in Irish, translating to Goodbye.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/stat/executedoffenders.htm

Last edited:

ballot stuffer

The Texas state Dept has released online the last words of all those executed over the last decade or so.
Some pretty sad cases. Not sure if it changes your view one way or the other but a lot of them seemed to be full of penance and some even felt like they deserved to die. Obviously a lot claiming innocence to the end, other refused to say anything..
One guy, Alvin Goodwin from Montgomery has this placed by the State, "He spoke only in Irish, translating to Goodbye.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/state/executedoffenders.htm
Your link is broken.:rolleyes:

X-ray

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/state/executedoffenders.htm
If the final words were "i am sorry i bankrupt anglo irish bank" I would bring back the rope...

setanta

A fúcked-up system that fails to offer any credible deterent, as is witnessed by the homicide statistics of States that allow this barabaric practice, and which has undeniably resulted in the state-murder of innocent people wrongly convicted in their courts.

Nuada

This is a good one.

''Since I have already said all I need to say to all my loved ones, I'm not going to say anything to y'all at this time. Y'all know I love you and y'all know where we're at. I will see y'all when you get there. So this is my statement. To all of the racist white folks in America that hate black folks and to all of the black folks in America that hate themselves: the infamous words of my famous legendary brother, Matt Turner, "Y'all kiss my black ass." Let's do it.''

louis bernard

A fúcked-up system that fails to offer any credible deterent, as is witnessed by the homicide statistics of States that allow this barabaric practice, and which has undeniably resulted in the state-murder of innocent people wrongly convicted in their courts.
Whenever I hear anyone argue for the death penalty I just say two words, Timothy Evans.

oscartango

If I was being executed in the electric chair, my final request would be for the governor to hold my hand.

If I was being executed in the gas-chamber, I'd ask for a packet of Tunes lozenges. They help you breathe more easily.

(I'll get my coat. :()

setanta

Whenever I hear anyone argue for the death penalty I just say two words, Timothy Evans.
Or the Birmingham 6 or the Guildford 4, whose posthumous pardons would have been one long sick joke if Britain had still retained the death penalty when they were convicted.

The judge at the trial for the Guildford bombings, in his sentencing told the defendants that if the death penalty had been an option for him he would have sentenced them to death. Paul [Hill] was given a 30 year minium tariff.

louis bernard

Or the Birmingham 6 or the Guildford 4, whose posthumous pardons would have been one long sick joke if Britain had still retained the death penalty when they were convicted.
I agree with your sentiments re. The Birmingham six and the Guilford four. But their hangings were hypothetical, Europe had moved on from the death penalty. But Timothy Evens was actually murdered by the state on very flimsy evidence. He was an illiterate who was just framed. He kept telling everyone who the real murderer was (Christie) but no one would listen.

YoungLiberal

Horace Horse

I suppose you're full of sympathy for John Couey, who has regrettably escaped execution by dying first.

He kidnapped, raped and buried alive a little girl in Florida. When they found her she was still clutching her stuffed toy.

You're one sad sicko, setanta!

stannis

If I was being executed in the electric chair, my final request would be for the governor to hold my hand.

If I was being executed in the gas-chamber, I'd ask for a packet of Tunes lozenges. They help you breathe more easily.

(I'll get my coat. :()
Don't forget your hat.

imokyrok

I suppose you're full of sympathy for John Couey, who has regrettably escaped execution by dying first.

He kidnapped, raped and buried alive a little girl in Florida. When they found her she was still clutching her stuffed toy.

You're one sad sicko, setanta!
So you think being against the death penalty means he's in favour of rape, murder and abduction? :rolleyes:

X-ray

If guilty of premeditated murder I have no problem with fast and public hanging. Unfortunately we seem pretty bad at being sure of who is guilty, but on a personal note I would have no moral problem hanging someone who murdered someone belonging to me or indeed anyone else.

I am not talking about a pub fight or a grabbed knife in a domestic fight. I am talking about planning to kill or carrying a gun etc with intend. You deserve to die, I dont care if it is a deterrent or not, its justice.

But we would hang many innocents.

If you raped or murdered for your own pleasure you have no rights as far as I am concerned. I would torture you, but that would demean me.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies