LC results out today, get 30%? here are some points for turning up....

Betson

Feminisation of maths and the sciences is setting up for future failure.
The only subject results they ever seem to have any issue with are the ones where boys are doing as well girls in or Boys outperform girls in general , they are always painted as bad news and something needs to change etc , never anything about the many subjects girls do better in.

Also best of luck in 3 weeks time Dan , you are on the field so much Galway will nearly have to detail someone to mark you in the final.

GDPR

The only subject results they ever seem to have any issue with are the ones where boys are doing as well girls in or Boys outperform girls in general , they are always painted as bad news and something needs to change etc , never anything about the many subjects girls do better in.

Also best of luck in 3 weeks time Dan , you are on the field so much Galway will nearly have to detail someone to mark you in the final.
Slyvie Lenane is the lad to sort out Dan.

Notachipanoaktree

Feminisation of maths and the sciences is setting up for future failure.
Unfortunately the real damage is done when these folk hit the streets and believe themselves elite.
This is a very serious problem in the workplace right now. Neither HR nor management have attempted to grapple with the problem (Known about since 1994, has been getting more profound and damaging year on year).
Really bad outcomes for older people (almost exclusively male) are now commonplace.

Last edited:

Ellen Ripley

I can understand how an increased emphasis on the so-called 'soft' Sciences or Biology might be seen as feminisation, as more girls already tend to study Biology than Physics and Chemistry-- but how do you 'feminise' Maths?

silverharp

I can understand how an increased emphasis on the so-called 'soft' Sciences or Biology might be seen as feminisation, as more girls already tend to study Biology than Physics and Chemistry-- but how do you 'feminise' Maths?
make the course easier so instead of it depending on flair and ability to understand difficult concepts, you turn it into something that just requires being methodical

Notachipanoaktree

The term feminisation is very unfortunate. The term dumbing down is equally unfortunate. But please, take your pick. The phenomenon is very real, the result extremely unfortunate.

LookWhoItIs

A mark of E in six subjects will get you 222 points.

The entry requirements for Arts in UCD is 310.
So you don't get in to UCD, where can you get in with 222 points and if you do get in anywhere - fair f@cks, why should a few hours of exams after years in school determine your career path - the more options the better for everyone.

sadmal

I often wondered about the students who manage to achieve the 8 A's and features prominently in the newspapers. Does the schools, the students or the Department of Education contact the newspapers with the news? Just curious.

Notachipanoaktree

So you don't get in to UCD, where can you get in with 222 points and if you do get in anywhere - fair f@cks, why should a few hours of exams after years in school determine your career path - the more options the better for everyone.
Why should a few more years dossing and drinking yourself sick, or even working but incapable of performing give you an overwhelming advantage in the workplace?

Ellen Ripley

I often wondered about the students who manage to achieve the 8 A's and features prominently in the newspapers. Does the schools, the students or the Department of Education contact the newspapers with the news? Just curious.
The school, I guess; it bestows prestige and enhances its reputation as a 'centre of learning excellence' to promote the high achievements of its students..

jas376

The school, I guess; it bestows prestige and enhances its reputation as a 'centre of learning excellence' to promote the high achievements of its students..
Dept of Ed. The Examinations Board has all that nationwide info ready to be released to the media on results day to make headlines.

Ellen Ripley

make the course easier so instead of it depending on flair and ability to understand difficult concepts, you turn it into something that just requires being methodical
But that makes it easier for everyone, right?

Or are you saying that only male brains are capable of grasping difficult concepts?

realistic1

'centre of learning excellence' my arse! just more than likely they were graced with Students who have a fantastic memory.

Ellen Ripley

Dept of Ed.
Yes, confidentiality I suppose..they'd also need the consent of the students to be identified of course.

LookWhoItIs

Why should a few more years dossing and drinking yourself sick, or even working but incapable of performing give you an overwhelming advantage in the workplace?
Just maybe some might mature a bit - what do you suggest fail the leaving and do manual work for the rest of you life, sound like a bunch of old f@cking begrudgers on here today - its all so easy - back in my day sh!te - I was a disaster in secondary school - managed to get 3 C's at honors level and got accepted to UCD - (never went - still had no f@cking idea what I wanted ), would that get me in today?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies