Le Monde readers castigate Ireland in comments

wildmind

A whole deluge of criticisms of Ireland posted on 'Le Monde' readers' comments section this morning.

Tone of all of the remarks; the Irish are seeing now how their economic miracle was so illusory, based as it was on low taxes and fake growth around a property bubble.

Shocking vehemence of resentment towards Ireland's policy of under cutting European tax rates. Even a few comments stating that Ireland should never have left the UK.

an example

"Ireland: a case study of liberalism gone mad. A decade of fake growth based on a property bubble and a tax paradise for investors. Now that the Irish 'miracle ' is well and truly over we can see how the EUropean Union, in order to entice countries to continue with it, allowed this tax competititon between member States - what a joke. Ireland is now ruined, Europeans will pick up the tab, and investors will line their pockets".

That is just one example of a string of comments talking about how the day that Ireland's model of low taxes, under-funded public services and ultra-liberal regulation being held up as the 'envy of europe' are well and truly over.

We might have turned our society into a version of Ryanair, but don't expect everyone else to be so stupid or to be happy to have to bale us out.

Panopticon

It's a website, the people who make comments on politics stories are usually extremist loons. Si monumentum requiris circumspice.

Goodbody

A whole deluge of criticisms of Ireland posted on 'Le Monde' readers' comments section this morning.

I get a lot of similar comments when I travel. I think a lot of it goes back to the times that McCreevy and Harney were strutting the world, telling the likes of Germany that their policies were outdated and backward, and they needed to emulate Ireland. What goes around comes around.

wildmind

I don't think the comments are that extremist. I think it does indicate the extent to which Ireland's ultra-american social model has lost us friends.

For example

"Ireland benefited hugely from EU (structural funds) and then cheated on its commitments by unashamedly acting as a fiscal paradise for all kinds of entities who would have had to pay more taxes elsewhere in Europe.

This created catastrophic distortions and allowed dishonest financial practices for which the Irish people are now paying the price"

Not exactly inaccurate is it?

Yeah its not like France are into Bailouts................

How million lives were sacrificed to bail them out twice in the 20th Century.

White Rose

I wouldn't worry about Le Monde- isn't that the paper that is bankrupt itself? It's a pompous, sociology lecturer type paper

As for the French, God help us, however bad things are here at least we can have a bit of craic

wildmind

I wouldn't worry about Le Monde- isn't that the paper that is bankrupt itself? It's a pompous, sociology lecturer type paper

As for the French, God help us, however bad things are here at least we can have a bit of craic

Ya we can sing the 'Lakes of Pontchatrain' in the Ardilaun Hotel in Galway while another generation prepare to emigrate and we spend less on education than almost any other country in the OECD .

ARE YA HAVING THE CRAIC!!!

truthisfree

I don't think the comments are that extremist. I think it does indicate the extent to which Ireland's ultra-american social model has lost us friends.

For example

"Ireland benefited hugely from EU (structural funds) and then cheated on its commitments by unashamedly acting as a fiscal paradise for all kinds of entities who would have had to pay more taxes elsewhere in Europe.

This created catastrophic distortions and allowed dishonest financial practices for which the Irish people are now paying the price"

Far from inaccurate :(

Jack White

Give us an oul song there, Biffo.

You bloated tool.

wildmind

Another example

"Why should we bail out Ireland without talking to them about Ryanair contravening our labour laws (in France) and without encouraging Ireland to engage in more fiscal dumping (i.e. corporation tax etc.)?

Chrisco

Yeah its not like France are into Bailouts................

How million lives were sacrificed to bail them out twice in the 20th Century.
You really are a tosser of unfathomably large proportions.

Congalltee

Is this to be another Irish bashing thread or French bashing one?
Where does the fact that the Irish tax payer, without their consent, bailed out French Bondholders fit into the equation?

L

longshortgrass

....by unashamedly acting as a fiscal paradise for all kinds of entities who would have had to pay more taxes elsewhere in Europe.

Inside information...that is completely true.

European tax authorities would love to get their hands on Irish tax returns for US companies paying 10% or 12.5% in Ireland to avoid paying just taxes in the end sale county. :cool:

Inside information...that is completely true.

European tax authorities would love to get their hands on Irish tax returns for US companies paying 10% or 12.5% in Ireland to avoid paying just taxes in the end sale county. :cool:
They can wish for what ever they want but moving from Ireland to another low tax country would take a company a couple of days maximum and EU would be no better off.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies