• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

"Leader of the free world" needs to be revisited.

44percent

I was reading a critique of Romney via Twitter and it struck me that the position the US has had since WW2 as leader of the free world needs to be challenged. Bush Jr was an obvious weakness given his preference for lackey states but if a similar agenda is in the White House in January it will have to be limited by external resistance among allies. Is it desirable or possible?

Analyzer

"the free world" ?

can somebody explain the concept ?

would it have anything to do with oligarchies of lobbyists controlling countries via their media networks and their power centres ?

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

Leader of the Free World? The US have supported and still do support dictatorships galore, as long as they are pro-American ones.

The US has been the single greatest threat to international harmony and freedom since WWII.

Spanner Island

I'm not sure the average John/Josephine Doe in America are particularly interested in the position anymore...

I think they probably give more of a sh!te about getting and keeping a job...

America is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't....

It's a thankless task...

Plus from watching reports this morning from Syria... it looks like the inaction of the west generally is radicalising those involved in the uprising who may well turn against the west once the current civil war ends...

But then if America/the west intervened they'd be condemned by the usual suspects here and elsewhere too...

Dan_Murphy

Leader of the Free World? The US have supported and still do support dictatorships galore, as long as they are pro-American ones.

The US has been the single greatest threat to international harmony and freedom since WWII.
Maybe since the collapse of the soviets, but since WW2? Really?

stopdoingstuff

War crimes aborad and a crackdown on civil liberties at home. Hmmmm.

jayblue

Sure its Frau Merkel, the sooner the US cops on to this the better, sick of US political programmes calling the US President "leader of the free world"

CookieMonster

Yay! Another America bashing thread. That's exactly what we need.