• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Leaders of Irish Political Parties in 2012

Mary Frances

Assuming the new government lasts till 2012 (and the minority FF-PD govt of 1997-2002 was the longest serving in the history of the State) who if any of the Irish political party leaders will still be leaders then?

Ahern - Has said he will quit as leader before next election

Adams - Doubt if he'll be leader of Sinn Fein in 5 years' time

Rabbitte - Doubt if he'll be leader of Labour in 5 months' time let alone 5 years.

Sargent - Not sure about this guy's political longevity

Kenny - Hard to call but if he wants to contest 2012 as leader, he is unlikely to be challenged unless FG have a bad local/European innings in 2009

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
PDs of course. ;)

And I think she'll prove equally difficult to push out of her seat in Dub MW in 2012 as 2007. :)

sandar

cowen in FF, Enwright in FG, DUNNO GREENS, Labour Eamon Gilmore.......SF Pearse Doherty in the Republic

President Bartlet

Micheal Martin in Fianna Fail
Richard Bruton in Fine Gael
Brendan Howlin in Labour
Eamonn Ryan in the Greens
Conor Murphy in Sinn Fein (North) Pearse Doherty in South
No one in PDs because they are finished as a real political force

locke

I've a feeling Howlin might be too divisive a leader of the Labour Party. What Labour really need is for Rabbitte to hang on for three more years when one of their younger TDs - Lynch, Sherlock or Tuffy - is groomed into the job. Although, they might look inexperienced, Dick Spring was scarcely a year in the Dail when he took over the party leadership.

The problem with that is that it would cause resentment among the older TDs, but they'll have to ask themselves whether they want to put the party's interests or their interests first.

Munion

locke said:
The problem with that is that it would cause resentment among the older TDs, but they'll have to ask themselves whether they want to put the party's interests or their interests first.
Hehe the irony :)

Eddiepops

Me for the Greens, actually. I have it all planned

Lichfield

Cowen or Hanafin for FF- Martin has fallen well down the pecking order

Bruton or Enright for FG- Younger TDs may prefer the the younger Enright

No obvious exciting choice stands out for Labour illustrating the malaise of the party

Anything could happen with Sinn Fein. A Dail Eireann leader now seems more likely and necessary that before but none of the sitting TDs would have a broad appeal which would be an asset in the next election.

Defeated Romanticist

Cowen FF
Kenny FG
Gilmore Lab
Ryan Greens
Mary Lou (if the have an ounce of nouse)-SF
PDs-Harney taking an Ó Caolain role in the Dail and Parlon as a strengthened president.

james_collins

President Bartlet said:
Micheal Martin in Fianna Fail
Richard Bruton in Fine Gael
Brendan Howlin in Labour
Eamonn Ryan in the Greens
Conor Murphy in Sinn Fein (North) Pearse Doherty in South
No one in PDs because they are finished as a real political force
Agreed except replace Cowan with Martin.

This was Cowan's election, he, more so than even Bertie, took on the opposition and maintained FF support. He will be well rewarded with the leadership.

Mary Frances said:
Assuming the new government lasts till 2012 (and the minority FF-PD govt of 1997-2002 was the longest serving in the history of the State) who if any of the Irish political party leaders will still be leaders then?

Ahern - Has said he will quit as leader before next election

Adams - Doubt if he'll be leader of Sinn Fein in 5 years' time

Rabbitte - Doubt if he'll be leader of Labour in 5 months' time let alone 5 years.

Sargent - Not sure about this guy's political longevity

Kenny - Hard to call but if he wants to contest 2012 as leader, he is unlikely to be challenged unless FG have a bad local/European innings in 2009
Ahern - will definitely be replaced by Cowen

Adams - don't know who'll replace him but i can't understand why SF would not let O'Caoilain go on the leaders debate, as he is a good performer and would have did better than Adams.

Rabbite - will still be leader in 5 months time, not sure who could replace him in the longer term. In the short term, everyone keeps saying Howlin, personally i disagree and i think that Liz McManus would make a much better leader.

Sergeant - will be in charge for another while yet but will eventually be replaced by Eamon Ryan.

Kenny - will make it to 2012 - eventually being replaced by hopefully Olwyn Enright.