Leadership

collina

Whatever about personal party allegiances, I think we can all agree that Ireland has failed to produce a truly great leader in a very long time. Further, apart from O'Connell and Collins I can't remember a single great leader born on the Island, and of the supposed national religion, to lead us successfully. Why has not the combination of being culturally Irish, religiously Roman Catholic, and politically Republican/Nationalist failed for such a long time to give as a single great leader? I don't necessarily believe that a great Irish leader cannot or should not be say, a Jew or a Protestant. I just want to know why we've never really produced any from what we would imagine the typical "Irishman" to be

Anyhow to get yas thinking, here's a speech by Malcolm X. Apart from the overt racism, its the sort of thing our country badly needs. Its an hour long but worth the listen.

There are lots of threads on P.IE about the current leaders we don't want, lets talk about what we do want.

YouTube - Malcolm X - Ballot or Bullet

Any great Irish speeches? And please no "Dev's response to Churchill"

wombat

Whatever about personal party allegiances, I think we can all agree that Ireland has failed to produce a truly great leader in a very long time.
Why do we need a great leader? - Marlon Brando in Viva Zapata said it best - strong leaders make people weak - we have no need for messiah types, our most effective leaders have been low key

collina

Why do we need a great leader? - Marlon Brando in Viva Zapata said it best - strong leaders make people weak - we have no need for messiah types, our most effective leaders have been low key
We are on our knees because of weak leadership. We are on our knees with the help of of leaders who offer "suicide" as an alternative to consensus. Where are our low-key effective leaders?

Oppenheimer

I think your focus is too narrow, it should be limited to "Political Leaders" and I think this is largely due to the political system, anyone becoming a member of our parliament only needs in some cases a few hundred votes and this pollutes the system with a lot of dross. In addition, by forcing these people to focus on the few (local) rather than the many (national) there is not much room for someone to become a truly "National" leader.

There are other areas of Irish life where there a great leaders over the years - you may not agree they are and I suspect your thread is not a debate on those.

Cael

Whatever about personal party allegiances, I think we can all agree that Ireland has failed to produce a truly great leader in a very long time.
The only people who need leadership, are people who are not able to lead themselves - infants.

Cato

The only people who need leadership, are people who are not able to lead themselves - infants.
There is some truth to that, but the question could be rephrased and asked as 'has Ireland, in the last 100 years, produced any inspirational figures of note?'

Cael

There is some truth to that, but the question could be rephrased and asked as 'has Ireland, in the last 100 years, produced any inspirational figures of note?'
In the last 100 years, yes. Connolly and Pearse were outstanding men. Their thoughts remain massively more advanced than the reality of Irish life today. The Hunger Strikers were an inspiration to the oppressed peoples of the whole of the neo-colonial world.

Cael, I don't understand how we can lead ourselves when we are confined by the constitution. More than confined, forbidden. We need a change of constitution, a complete change. It's daft the one we have. Other countries have changed their constitutions completely in some cases and several times. Our political system is a prison for the sheeple as a poster calls us. We need a revolution. Maybe we are sheeple.

Eire1976

We are devoid of good leaders because there are too many vested interests in Ireland that drag good people down and leave the sly and lowly behind to take the lead.

Boy M5

A strong leader, hmm? I've been worried for some time about the economic fallout in Ireland leading to Weimar style splintering of society.

That said for the last few weeks I've been wondering where our DeGaulle is?
DeGaulle was a Catholic & patriot who apparently had a gra for Ireland (he came here when he resigned). He gave leadership in his country's darkest period. Although he was a soldier he established a democracy.

cjudge

We are devoid of good leaders because there are too many vested interests in Ireland that drag good people down and leave the sly and lowly behind to take the lead.
So true. Is this the kind of leadership we need?
Our fate is in the hands of people who can buy us time to assess our options. It is in the hands of opposition parties and individuals who have the courage to stop the steamroller in front of us. Do we reject the budget? At a time when the country is crying out for leadership, there may be political advantage in representing a view that seeks to retain some control over our future, instead of obliging us to submit weekly reports to our new governors.

Finbar10

A offhand comment by the poet Theo Dorgan on RTE radio last week stuck in my mind. It perfectly summed up to me this dearth of leadership and vision:
I look at the inheritors of Parnell and O'Connell, of Fitzgerald and Pearse and Connolly, and I see small men and small women where there were great souls once.

RahenyFG

Since we achieved independence in 1922, we have not had a great leader. The drive for independence and for social rights etc was what drove the likes of Parnell, O' Connell, Collins and Larkin. Once we got independence that drive was lost and replaced with the desire to keep with what we had. Look at our first government, Cumann na nGaedheal or pro-treaty Sinn Fein. They didn't live up to any of the prinicples stated in 1918 in the democratic programme by Sinn Fein and were content to stay in power and had little concern about people at the bottom. Sad really, we get our independence and then our capability to be great leaders is gone.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies