Leading pro-Brexit group compares Macron victory to France's WW2 surrender.

steviem

Anti-Fascism used to mean going to Spain and fighting against real fascists..Now it means changing your Facebook profile pic to a photo of an irritating banker who became President of France ( and married his sexual abuser somewhere along the way )....." If I can shoot rabbits, I can tweet at fascists "....doesn't quite have the same ring to it?..

jams odonnell

Anti-Fascism used to mean going to Spain and fighting against real fascists..Now it means changing your Facebook profile pic to a photo of an irritating banker who became President of France ( and married his sexual abuser somewhere along the way )....." If I can shoot rabbits, I can tweet at fascists "....doesn't quite have the same ring to it?..
It remains the case that those of us who want to fight fascism still need to travel abroad to do so. That is worth remembering.

Last edited:

reg11

Theresa May needs to win the election because:
  • it protects her from her feral right-wing (who have now destroyed her five predecessors as Tory leader, and will again be "on manoeuvres");
  • the UK economy is already tipping into serious trouble with inflation and rising prices (and the middle-class angst of falling house prices), with eroding living standards;
  • she has no policy to prevent the destruction of what most Brits regard as essential public services;
  • her government has no credible policy on Brexit. "A bad deal is worse than no deal" ignores the total horrors of WTO tariffs (see here);
  • so far nobody has come up with a sane answer to the imminent "hard border" in the island of Ireland — but, sure as kittens-on-pinterest, a customs post at Stranraer is a runner (and what'll that do for Unionist opinion?);
  • it's difficult to see a single area where Tory promises since 2010 have materialised;
  • the paucity of talent among senior Tories is becoming more apparent by the hour;
  • the lack of a credible and insurgent political Opposition won't last for long.
By the look of it, "liberal-centre-right Europe" is the new mood. Frau Merkel (whose future looks more assured with each Länd election), President Macron, Mark Rutte and co. (including whoever is enstooled as Taoiseach) are not going to roll over, no matter what the UK General Election throws up. There is no "equal footing" between the UK and the EU in #Brexit negotiations.
It seems there is such a word: Definition of enstool. : to install (a ruler of any of several native African groups) in office —contrasted with destool.

The thought of such a Taoiseach with such a background would drive many nuts, they'd want him destooled immediately.

Top Bottom