League Of Ireland 2019

Conor_Myers

Yip. Admittedly I'm not a regular attendee at LOI but charging en masse into the netted off front rows looked a bit uncouth from the stands.

Buchaill Dana

Yip. Admittedly I'm not a regular attendee at LOI but charging en masse into the netted off front rows looked a bit uncouth from the stands.
I think the ballet might be more your pace

Buchaill Dana

Why are you bothered? Were you in behind the goal with all those unsavoury Hoop characters?
Why would you think I was bothered?

What was your expectation? There were always going to be flares and that. If a noisy crowd frightens you, why did you go?

Clanrickard

Why are you bothered? Were you in behind the goal with all those unsavoury Hoop characters?
Do you think supporters should politely applaud?

Conor_Myers

If you're telling me that ignoring stewards and charging into the cordoned off front rows not to mention throwing objects onto the pitch is acceptable behaviour at LOI who am I to argue?

However I expect both clubs to be fined for the antics of their supporters.

Buchaill Dana

They threw flares onto the surface behind the goal as agreed with the fire brigade.

It was organised and safe. And absolutely the point. Thats the loi's hook, its not the sanitised EPL. Its raucous and fun.

Conor_Myers

FAI Rulebook: Rule 27 Spectator Conduct

Improper conduct includes but is not limited to violence towards persons or objects, letting off incendiary devices, causing damage to stadium facilities. throwing missiles, use of smoke bombs, flares or fireworks, displaying insulting slogans in any form, uttering insulting sounds, racist behaviour or invading or encroaching onto the pitch.

As I said both clubs should be fined for clear breaches of the rules.

Hoopshead

FAI Rulebook: Rule 27 Spectator Conduct

Improper conduct includes but is not limited to violence towards persons or objects, letting off incendiary devices, causing damage to stadium facilities. throwing missiles, use of smoke bombs, flares or fireworks, displaying insulting slogans in any form, uttering insulting sounds, racist behaviour or invading or encroaching onto the pitch.

As I said both clubs should be fined for clear breaches of the rules.
Ah bless..........It was a great advertisement for the domestic game between the countries 2 best teams.

Buchaill Dana

Ah bless..........It was a great advertisement for the domestic game between the countries 2 best teams.
He refuses to accept or understand that the flares were arranged. Reminds me of the types who complained to RTE about the smoke

Conor_Myers

He refuses to accept or understand that the flares were arranged. Reminds me of the types who complained to RTE about the smoke
What do you mean by arranged? Are you saying that the FAI issued a derogation from the rules in relation to this fixture? Do you have a link? If that was the case why were flares etc being confiscated from fans on the way in?

Or is it just that faced with a large crowd of fans intent on chucking stuff onto the pitch the officials on site agreed to a compromise?

And by the way as I said earlier it was a great afternoons entertainment - I'm just pointing out what looked like bad behaviour from some sections of fans - and if clubs aren't fined for clear rule breaches on spectator conduct how much further will it be pushed? At one stage a firework appeared to be directed towards the pitch?

Clanrickard

What do you mean by arranged? Are you saying that the FAI issued a derogation from the rules in relation to this fixture? Do you have a link? If that was the case why were flares etc being confiscated from fans on the way in?

Or is it just that faced with a large crowd of fans intent on chucking stuff onto the pitch the officials on site agreed to a compromise?

And by the way as I said earlier it was a great afternoons entertainment - I'm just pointing out what looked like bad behaviour from some sections of fans - and if clubs aren't fined for clear rule breaches on spectator conduct how much further will it be pushed? At one stage a firework appeared to be directed towards the pitch?
It was thrown on the pitch and I am sure this was not cleared with the FAI.

Buchaill Dana

Shamrock Rovers B to replace Limerick in the 1st division. Discuss

crossman

Shamrock Rovers B to replace Limerick in the 1st division. Discuss
A terrible decision that undermines the whole concept of a league. What happens if they win it? Are the B team promoted? This is very convenient for Rovers but not for anyone else. Are we gone back to the old days when Rovers ruled the roost?

Buchaill Dana

A terrible decision that undermines the whole concept of a league. What happens if they win it? Are the B team promoted? This is very convenient for Rovers but not for anyone else. Are we gone back to the old days when Rovers ruled the roost?
No, they can't be promoted or enter cups.

How does it undermine the league? Spain, Germany, Holland etc all allow it.

Could the same clubs who object be accused of undermining the league when they voted out the reserve league and A championship to save a few quid?

Clanrickard

No, they can't be promoted or enter cups.

How does it undermine the league? Spain, Germany, Holland etc all allow it.

Could the same clubs who object be accused of undermining the league when they voted out the reserve league and A championship to save a few quid?
It doesn't undermine the league at all

SamsonS

The First Division clubs do not agree. This is from a few weeks ago;
"The following is a statement on behalf of all the First Division clubs in the League of Ireland, namely: Athlone Town, Bray Wanderers, Cabinteely, Cobh Ramblers, Drogheda United, Galway United, Longford Town, UCD and Wexford FC.
All First Division clubs want to see a swift resolution to the issue of Premier ‘B’ Teams and their potential participation in the League of Ireland First Division in 2020. This must involve an open discussion with all First Division clubs and not be resolved behind closed doors.
We are unanimous in our view that this delivers no benefits to the sporting integrity of the league and, indeed, Irish Football. In addition, this sets a dangerous precedent whereby the First Division could be populated by more B teams in future years thereby further demeaning its existence as a second-tier football league in Ireland.
Many of our teams have long and rich histories in the League of Ireland. We strive to be stronger as clubs and we all aim to get to the Premier League. A number of Ireland’s most successful clubs, such as Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers, have had their time in the First Division and have recovered to build strong clubs. Our stance protects all clubs, as no club
is immune from relegation.
The current First Division clubs are not here to help Premier League clubs develop their players at First Division clubs’ expense.
We, as clubs, are happy to proceed with a 9 team first division (despite no consultation), however we are insistent that there should be 4 rounds of games in order to deliver value to the fans of all of our clubs and ensure a competitive league. As clubs, we will strive to make this arrangement work.
We have no objection (when consulted) to a loosening of the rules on overage players playing in U19 teams as has been proposed. Indeed, we would have no objection to a B league for clubs that wish to participate. Also, clubs can always look to enter B Teams in the Leinster Senior League as some of us already do.
Each of us owes it to our fans to stand up for our clubs. We want every club to be stronger and for domestic football, in the guise of both divisions, to thrive."

Clanrickard

There really is only room for one division in the LOI. The rest should be regional and include B teams.

Buchaill Dana

The First Division clubs do not agree. This is from a few weeks ago;
"The following is a statement on behalf of all the First Division clubs in the League of Ireland, namely: Athlone Town, Bray Wanderers, Cabinteely, Cobh Ramblers, Drogheda United, Galway United, Longford Town, UCD and Wexford FC.
All First Division clubs want to see a swift resolution to the issue of Premier ‘B’ Teams and their potential participation in the League of Ireland First Division in 2020. This must involve an open discussion with all First Division clubs and not be resolved behind closed doors.
We are unanimous in our view that this delivers no benefits to the sporting integrity of the league and, indeed, Irish Football. In addition, this sets a dangerous precedent whereby the First Division could be populated by more B teams in future years thereby further demeaning its existence as a second-tier football league in Ireland.
Many of our teams have long and rich histories in the League of Ireland. We strive to be stronger as clubs and we all aim to get to the Premier League. A number of Ireland’s most successful clubs, such as Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers, have had their time in the First Division and have recovered to build strong clubs. Our stance protects all clubs, as no club
is immune from relegation.
The current First Division clubs are not here to help Premier League clubs develop their players at First Division clubs’ expense.
We, as clubs, are happy to proceed with a 9 team first division (despite no consultation), however we are insistent that there should be 4 rounds of games in order to deliver value to the fans of all of our clubs and ensure a competitive league. As clubs, we will strive to make this arrangement work.
We have no objection (when consulted) to a loosening of the rules on overage players playing in U19 teams as has been proposed. Indeed, we would have no objection to a B league for clubs that wish to participate. Also, clubs can always look to enter B Teams in the Leinster Senior League as some of us already do.
Each of us owes it to our fans to stand up for our clubs. We want every club to be stronger and for domestic football, in the guise of both divisions, to thrive."

We are in this situation because the 1st division clubs got the reserve league and later A championship cancelled.

Rovers want their U19 team to not break up as 18 is too young to decide on whether they are deserving of full time contracts and want to give them full time training a bit longer under a form of professional contract. There is nowhere for them to go.

The cynic might suggest the clubs realise that if the big boys aren't releasing 18 year olds en masse they might have to do a bit more in developing their own players.

SamsonS

We are in this situation because the 1st division clubs got the reserve league and later A championship cancelled.

Rovers want their U19 team to not break up as 18 is too young to decide on whether they are deserving of full time contracts and want to give them full time training a bit longer under a form of professional contract. There is nowhere for them to go.

The cynic might suggest the clubs realise that if the big boys aren't releasing 18 year olds en masse they might have to do a bit more in developing their own players.
The cynic might say that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. There are very very few, if any, LOI clubs have a right to lecture other LOI clubs, and as a Rovers fan you certainly know that.
The opposition of A League or reserve league is one of finance, and its a cost first division, indeed most clubs cannot afford.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies