• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Leaving Cert Teachers should sit Leaving Cert Papers in subjects they teach!

Bobcolebrooke

It would be very interesting to see how our teachers would do if they sat the leaving cert subjects they teach.

In order for the test to be effective they would need to answer all questions on the paper.

It would provide a great opportunity to confirm that teachers had a grasp of the subject they were teaching.

It would be interesting to see if there was a correlation between the teachers performance and that of their students.

Nothing is being done to weed out poor teachers!

ruserious

When I was did my mocks for the LC, our Geography teacher did one too. He came 3rd in the class.

cabledude

Pmsl

Bea C

My Irish teacher for the LC - in spite of teaching for yrs we were her first Irish class - was telling us after Easter (&Easter 2000 was extraordinarily late, v end of April) how in her college days she did a poem Caoineadh Art Ui Laoire (I can't remember how to spell it). Privately tuitioned me put up my hand: it's on the syllabus.
She flipped through the book: 'oh, you're right!'

APettigrew92

I attended a school full of sons of past teachers etc.

Some were good and others were absolutely dreadful.

I felt at the time many needed psychiatric analyses, as many seemed to have forgone how to teach at all.

Our history teacher was especially bad. I'm a history buff and noted that he constantly got his dates wrong i.e. D-Day happened in 1942, El Alamein happened in 1944.

Baffling really. Would at least motivate teachers to in some way revise their given material. Many seem to just idly breeze through tedious textbooks and then assume that everyone has understood.

cabledude

It would be very interesting to see how our teachers would do if they sat the leaving cert subjects they teach.

In order for the test to be effective they would need to answer all questions on the paper.

It would provide a great opportunity to confirm that teachers had a grasp of the subject they were teaching.

It would be interesting to see if there was a correlation between the teachers performance and that of their students.

Who sets the Leaving Cert exam papers?

darkhorse

That would be so cool
Few of them would pass for sure
but at least the pontificating would be reduced

Riadach

My Irish teacher for the LC - in spite of teaching for yrs we were her first Irish class - was telling us after Easter (&Easter 2000 was extraordinarily late, v end of April) how in her college days she did a poem Caoineadh Art Ui Laoire (I can't remember how to spell it). Privately tuitioned me put up my hand: it's on the syllabus.
She flipped through the book: 'oh, you're right!'
I did Caoineadh Art Uí Laoire both for the leaving and in college afterwards, to different depths I can assure you as only the first three verse were on the syllabus, whereas the actual poem goes on for about 30 pages.

Riadach

I think you're looking in the wrong place if you think command of the subject is what differentiates a good teacher from a bad one.

Bobcolebrooke

I think you're looking in the wrong place if you think command of the subject is what differentiates a good teacher from a bad one.
Command Of the subject is a prerequisite for a good teacher.

Even simple things make a difference like the teachers delivery. Some teachers for instance do not modulate their voice and bore people to death about interesting subjects.

gatsbygirl20

That would be so cool
Few of them would pass for sure
but at least the pontificating would be reduced
Why do you think "few of them would pass, for sure"?

A Pass mark on a Leaving Cert paper is not a very high achievement.

So I think most--if not all--would pass

Once you teach for an exam you see into the heart of the system. To really get on top of the exam requirements you must teach the subject.

Thus you become a sort of expert at least in that fairly narrow, exam-focused requirement,---because your day-to-day work is totally focused on the material tested at LC and the exam technique required to do well

So actually teachers would probably mostly get an A in their own subject, because doing well in their subject at Leaving Cert is their area of expertise.

You would think this would be sort of obvious to people

But I guess this is probably just another of those teacher-bashing threads and logic probably has little to do with it.

Bobcolebrooke

Once you teach for an exam you see into the heart of the system. To really get on top of the exam requirements you must teach the subject.

Thus you become a sort of expert at least in that fairly narrow, exam-focused requirement,---because your day-to-day work is totally focused on the material tested at LC and the exam technique required to do well

So actually teachers would probably mostly get an A in their own subject, because doing well in their subject at Leaving Cert is their area of expertise.

But I guess this is probably just another of those teacher-bashing threads and logic probably has little to do with it.

Teachers getting less than an A1 would not be acceptable!

darkhorse

OK you are a teacher - so how many times have you sat the leaving cert with your pupils
And what kind of results did you get?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies