• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Lecturers in ITs to face compulsory redundancy

DaveM

Compulsory redundancies planned for public sector workers?

'Surplus' public sector staff will be forced out - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

THE Government is planning to push through compulsory redundancies in the public service for the first time in the history of the State.

It is targeting up to 100 college lecturers represented by the rebel Teachers' Union of Ireland (TUI), who are deemed to be "surplus to requirements", documents obtained by the Irish Independent reveal.

The unprecedented move represents a major departure from the tradition of a job for life in the public service.
Interesting story. John Walshe says this may be a tactic to push the union into accepting the Croke Park agreement but, aside from that, the precedent it would set if it went through would be pretty significant in the event that the Croke Park agreement collapses or fails to deliver sufficient savings.

Bebsaboo

It's a great strategy. Assuming they can avoid the legal repercussions it gives them another tool in bargaining with the unions. If your union doesn't support a deal then they'll be the first targeted when the cuts roll around.

Nonsence & lies

Hard to feel sorry for any overpaid lecturer here or anywhere else. I live next door to two. All gravy for these guys.

hammer

url]

an attempt to remove people by virtue of their membership of one particular union is beneath contempt and is surely illegal
Absolutely. They should not be targeted. But, if there is no work they are surplus to requirements. We are in a depression and on the verge of bankruptcy.

Maybe they will also target the 8,000 HSE administration staff that play sudoku every day :)

Sync

They'll probably be able to get away with it. They're not targetting TUI teachers. They've targeted all surplus teachers with the offer of "Redeployment or Redundancy". It just happens that all the other teachers have gone for the Redeployment option.

Now obviously you don't do it on a blanket basis, you offer each individual teacher in question the option of redeployment. But yeah if they don't go for that, redundancy with the statutory minimum.

Last edited:

grainne whale

Hard to feel sorry for any overpaid lecturer here or anywhere else. I live next door to two. All gravy for these guys.
That might be true with your neighbours but I know many who work 'bloody hard'.

grainne whale

Absolutely. They should not be targeted. But, if there is no work they are surplus to requirements. We are in a depression and on the verge of bankruptcy.

Maybe they will also target the 8,000 HSE administration staff that play sudoku every day :)
Please let us know - then we can ALL join them!!!!

Vega1447

Redeployment is a pretty fair offer...

.. if the alternative is redundancy.

Of course if a guy has been teaching apprentices for 30 years he may find it hard to upskill enough to contribute in another area where there is demand...

Life is hard.

TheOneTruth

How could they be surplus if more people have entered college this year than before? Defo seems like a stick to beat the union with.

constitutionus

this, if anything , shows just how ************************************ we are.

these lads would NEVER countenance doing this to their "social partner" mates yet here we are.

personally i think its about bloody time, as was pointed out by others a good culling of the lads given jobs for life in the HSE when they shouldve been made redundant is needed to.

i mean for christ sake to keep someone on till they retire and then do away with the postion they held is maddness, but thats our board members of the former health boards cushy number.

but to SEE it happening is a wake up call for those smart enough to hear it.

were in a new world now.

Finbar10

Govt heading into a legal minefield

'Surplus' public sector staff will be forced out - National News, Frontpage - Independent.ie

an attempt to remove people by virtue of their membership of one particular union is beneath contempt and is surely illegal
Doubt anyone will actually lose their jobs. Probably just a ploy by the government to get them to sign up to the Croke Park agreement: an 'either sign up or lose your job' threat. Stories like this with government making some noises about PS efficiency or about getting tough/playing hardball with the unions actually only confirm their basic intention to stick with Croke Park.

controller

The cynic in me thinks that this is part of another unions attempt to get rid of the TUI and recruit all its members

Baron von Biffo

If the article is accurate then the key issue will be the fact that TUI members are being targeted for redundancy - "However, the letters state that there is no requirement to consider redeployment or retraining for TUI staff."

Even our current crop of very timid union leaders must surely see how that's setting a very dangerous precedent.

Watcher2

How could they be surplus if more people have entered college this year than before? Defo seems like a stick to beat the union with.
They did mention those that teach apprentices in the construction industry. I believe there are very few people signing up for such courses/apprenticeships, so then they are indeed surpolus to requirement and should be made what they are - redundant and surplus to requirements.

Sync

If the article is accurate then the key issue will be the fact that TUI members are being targeted for redundancy - "However, the letters state that there is no requirement to consider redeployment or retraining for TUI staff."

Even our current crop of very timid union leaders must surely see how that's setting a very dangerous precedent.
Their union has said they don't want any part in redeployment. Now the teachers should individually be asked if they want retraining or redeployment, but if they refuse it, you get rid of them. If the government were ignoring the union's wishes you'd be unhappy as well.

Macy

If they're not part of the agreement, they're not part of the agreement. Although first targets should've be those not in a union, who also haven't signed up to Croke Park.

Baron von Biffo

Their union has said they don't want any part in redeployment. Now the teachers should individually be asked if they want retraining or redeployment, but if they refuse it, you get rid of them. If the government were ignoring the union's wishes you'd be unhappy as well.
The article is suggesting that lecturers who are members of the TUI are to be targeted for redundancy solely on the grounds of their membership of that union. I imagine any halfway competent lawyer could have such a move overturned in the courts as unfair dismissal, an infringement of their right of association and maybe data protection issues as well.

N17

My class mate from Austria told me yesterday that one of his lecturers (in an IT) told the class "that Austrian is a very important European language" and the "best wine in Austria comes from the east, along the coast".

God help our youth.