Lenihan Confirms Croke Park agreement safe

On Morning Ireland he basically said that the Public Service have suffered enough for now so the big salaries in the PS are safe

Sync

I have a large degree of sympathy for someone in the HSE who listens to this rubbish and passed up the generous redundancy offer that expired last week. They're the ones that will lose out the most on this, because the next offer isn't going to be anywhere near as nice.

The Croke Park deal is dead. There will be cuts in pay. There will be mandatory redundancies. Those who held out due to assurances by a govt no longer in full command of the economy will discover what a mistake that was.

To put it simply, when your company is saved from the brink by a hostile takeover, the promises of the previous management team are meaningless.

Mister men

On Morning Ireland he basically said that the Public Service have suffered enough for now so the big salaries in the PS are safe
It's out of his hands. The IMF will make the call.

jody2010

Sure you might as well put more than that out and on the dole as for many there will be little difference

polcol2

There will be another package across the public service prior to pay cuts apparently

greengoose2

With Lenihan's liberal economy of truth and facts let's just wait and see...

Have we learned nothing from last weeks lies, spin, fibs, mistruths or whatever you like to call that pantomime? It's all palaver according to Pat Rabbitte.

These clowns need to be got rid of at the very earliest.

jody2010

I would rather see the deadwood rooted out to be honest and the rest left in tact, I strong PS that will attract the right people in the future too. There is so much good work done by great people and it gets overshadowed constantly by the eye catching headlines

karldaly

"Lenihan Confirms Croke Park agreement safe"
Of course we also need to keep in mind that Lenihan's own big fat salary (6,000 a week) and his big fat pension's and his big fat UNVOUCHED expenses are also covered by the Croke Park agreement.

Sync

There will be another package across the public service prior to pay cuts apparently
Which is fair enough, but it has to be presented in a more realistic manner than the last one. This stuff of "Well gosh we're aiming for 5000 people to take up the offer" is rubbish.

You have to be honest with your workforce. "By date X there will be Z% less people working in the public sector. We are making this offer now with a deadline of Y. If after that point we have not had full take up then mandatory redundancies will take place to bring us up to that target" That's what's going to happen anyway. It's not fair to kid your workers that it's not.

Tea Party Patriot

It sounds to me like a January election is on the cards and they will leave the pay cuts and mandatory redundancies to their successors. It has to be a damage limitation exercise.

The figures they have "leeked" so far or a least what has been speculated doesn't come anywhere near the 6 billion needed. Even redundancies take time to feed the deficite in real terms; when costs are factored in they weill actually increase it in the short term.

Either they are going to bring in higher personal or indirect taxes or I am reading this wrong.

ellie08

"Lenihan Confirms Croke Park agreement safe"
Of course we also need to keep in mind that Lenihan's own big fat salary (6,000 a week) and his big fat pension's and his big fat UNVOUCHED expenses are also covered by the Croke Park agreement.
Is he on 6K a week plus expenses?????? Sick.

Sync

Either they are going to bring in higher personal or indirect taxes or I am reading this wrong.
Oh I don't think that's even in question. 2% upper level, 2% lower level I'd say, with a widening of the tax net.

polcol2

It sounds to me like a January election is on the cards and they will leave the pay cuts and mandatory redundancies to their successors. It has to be a damage limitation exercise.

The figures they have "leeked" so far or a least what has been speculated doesn't come anywhere near the 6 billion needed. Even redundancies take time to feed the deficite in real terms; when costs are factored in they weill actually increase it in the short term.

+1

Nonsence & lies

So the poor pay now. And we'll get around to the Overpaid judges, semi-state bosses, nothing-to-do bank employees over the course of 4 years (but were hoping another miracle bubble will happen before then). Am I missing anything?

Kevin Doyle

I have a large degree of sympathy for someone in the HSE who listens to this rubbish and passed up the generous redundancy offer that expired last week. They're the ones that will lose out the most on this, because the next offer isn't going to be anywhere near as nice.

The Croke Park deal is dead. There will be cuts in pay. There will be mandatory redundancies. Those who held out due to assurances by a govt no longer in full command of the economy will discover what a mistake that was.

To put it simply, when your company is saved from the brink by a hostile takeover, the promises of the previous management team are meaningless.
I agree that those who didnt take the jump where duped, but not for the reasons you think.

All existing PS pensions will be cut in line with the Pensions levy, the lump sum is also going to be walloped with a substantial tax. The calculation change of using the average of last three years of salary to and average of career salary is also going to be applied to all staff and not just recent entrants.

The CPD offers no guarantees on Pay and Conditions, none what-so-ever, that is blindingly obvious to anyone who has actually read it and that will include the EU officials and those from the IMF.

Lenihan saying the Croke Park is safe is off the back of these officials understanding the enormous scope for reform it contains with little or no industrial unrest. As I've said before these officials are more used to trying to impose measures catered for within the CDP with a fear of massive backlash, those fears are practically neutralised by the CPD and I'm sure even the IMF where rubbing their eyes in disbelief when they read it and immediately saw the huge benefits contained within it. They underatand that there are no guarantees in it and that reforming, in many cases aggressively, is the only way those in the PS will maintain their core pay, everything else, overtime, subsistence, expenses, allowances, perks, work practices etc are on the table and can be tackled with Union sanction.

If the reforms dont deliver, core pay and numbers are cut.

Are you seriously trying to tell me the IMF wouldn't jump at such a deal?

jacko

what is needed is the biggest voluntary redundancy programme in the history of the state - If 20,000 go then it leads to massive medium term saving and huge structural reform - exactly what the IMF want to see. They want to see the bill reduced - they dont care if its by numbers or by pay

The recruitment embargo must become real - there are too many "exceptions" being made

and I say this as a public servant

LiquidPaddy

This is another truthiness statement from Comical Lenny.

I listened again to what was said on Good Morning Ireland as the programme ended just now. Lenihan said Croke Park Agreement is predicated on the planned growth figures going forward, he stated that if the growth figures do not materialise that the agreement would have to be "looked at"... it's not safe at all.

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
28,000 redundancies first then pay cuts
The pay cuts would need to be severe if only 28k are being cut. Also the order is wrong. Make the pay cuts now (on by Jan. 1st) to get immediate savings and to make redundancy cheaper (as it will be based on current salary) and more attractive.

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies