Lenihan Enjoys Kicking the Poor

Cael

The French philosopher and phychoanalyst Jaques Lacan noticed the sexual enjoyment that certain middle class functionaries get in kicking the poor on behalf of their wealthy masters. He particularly mentioned the jouissance certain economists and jurists get from their role in crushing working class opposition to privilege. Anyone interested should read Lacan's work on the Discourse of the University.

Both Brian Lenihan and Brian Cowen were born into the privilege of this functionary class. Their families were not very wealthy themselves, but they secured their privilege by prooving their loyalty and usefullness to the true rulers of Ireland - the landed oligarchy and their bankers. So, we should be in no way surprised that when the wealth and privilege of the oligarchy came under threat in 2008, Cowen and Lenihan's first and only instinct was to protect the interests of the oligarchy, along with their own functionary class - at all costs.

This is not a surprise. But, in looking at the recent behaviour of Brian Lenihan, once is struck immediately by the truth of Lacan's observation. Lenihan seems to be really warming to his function of kicking the poor. His whole four year plan barely mentions the landed oligarchy or their bankers. It is all about punishing the poor for this crisis.

One is struck by the exquisite detail into which Lenihan has been looking into the lives of the poor, in order to cut them here a little and there a little, until the point were they feel totally molested - while he pays no attention at all to the crimes of his own class and of the oligarchy who raped our country. There is a pleasure beyond economics at work here.

Last edited:

ellie08

Cael, I hate to agree with you, but on the title of your thread, I must.

Munion

I'm sorry Cael but to suggest that Brian Lenihan gets sexually aroused by implementing harsh economic measures is just to far.

neiphin

kicking the poor
is another stain on this states sole
those on the dole and the minimum wage , spend their money , they keep it in circulation
that is the problem in the state at the moment,
people are fair full for their futures
they are being prudent (not a bad thing in itself) and or banking money
this does not help the greater economy, the state should and must stimulate the economy , this is the only way out

I was thinking the same thing myself Cael. Then I gave myself a telling off saying don't be daft, but the more I look at this horror the more I agree with you. They are screwing us and enjoying it.

I know Lenihan is ill with a serious illness. So am I and thousands of others. But does he have to worry about the oil running out before you have saved the necessary minimum €200 it takes to get the oilman to agree to deliver to you? Does he have to worry in case the coal will not last long enough if you light the fire before 5pm? Or cancel an appointment at the hospital because if you pay for a taxi there and back there will not be enough money to put towards the rent?

There are nights, I can tell you, when it would be easier to go gently into that dark night than to struggle on. It's only my anger at these politicians that keeps me going at times.

If I had not drawn the short straw and got ill, I would be fine. That sentence is an indictment of our so-called society.

Socratus O' Pericles

Firstly and foremostly fair play to your intelligence, rigor and tenacity to be able to read and understand the Discourse of the University. Three other people and I formed a reading group and spent a year trying to read and understand this and other Lacanian tracts with very mixed success.

Yes I agree Lenihan does seem to derive an erotic intensity from hammering the poor. The relish wit which he got stuck into the minimum wage earners and their cosseted (ha ha ) life style certainly had strong tones of asexual jouissance and schadenfreude.

This is not just incompetence -though it is that-it is a "moral" thing as well.

SlickWilly

He has no concept of what being poor means! His up comming budget despite sw cuts will increase the disincentive for low paid workers to work substantially because their wages will be raped and sodomised to a higher percentage level. It's madness to sodomise the minimum wage1

Cael

Firstly and foremostly fair play to your intelligence, rigor and tenacity to be able to read and understand the Discourse of the University. Three other people and I formed a reading group and spent a year trying to read and understand this and other Lacanian tracts with very mixed success.

Yes I agree Lenihan does seem to derive an erotic intensity from hammering the poor. The relish wit which he got stuck into the minimum wage earners and their cosseted (ha ha ) life style certainly had strong tones of asexual jouissance and schadenfreude.

This is not just incompetence -though it is that-it is a "moral" thing as well.
Thats great that you formed a reading group on Lacan's work. Yes, its very difficult, but it really does allow us to see whats going on in the world. The sad fact is that Lenihan will be gaining support among certain elements in Irish society the more he kicks the poor and the more he blames them for Ireland's crisis - and, these elements are not all by any means rich. Look at how many abject fools voted for FF in Donegal.

Astral Peaks

I'm sorry Cael but to suggest that Brian Lenihan gets sexually aroused by implementing harsh economic measures is just to far.
Why?

Sexual arousal is a many and varied thing, some women even find me attractive!!!!

(Well, just one actually)

Cael

He has no concept of what being poor means! His up comming budget despite sw cuts will increase the disincentive for low paid workers to work substantially because their wages will be raped and sodomised to a higher percentage level. It's madness to sodomise the minimum wage1
No, I doubt if Lenihan has ever even known a poor person. He and his sort mingle in a fairly closed circle.

Wakeupcall

This about it, they will get obliterated and looked down on as traitors forever.

Based on their ideals I can easily see this being the case to at least some extent .

BlackLion

FFS people, yes you hate FF and the two Brains. It's popular to kick FF now so i see cowards taking kicks in FF's back.
do you honestly believe that FG/LAB/SF are not going to hammer the poor? I guarantee that they'll all get off on hammering the poor.

Don't be so small minded. we'll never get out of this mess if we keep flogging a dead horse and ignore the elephant in the room.

Cael

Why?

Sexual arousal is a many and varied thing, some women even find me attractive!!!!

(Well, just one actually)

It would be more unconscious than conscious. It shows itself in the obsessive interest Lenihan shows in the enjoyment of the poor - or at least Lenihan's fantasies of this enjoyment. It seems to oppress him. As if the possibility had occurred to him that a young fellow on the dole might enjoy sharing a bag of sweets with his girlfriend more than Lenihan and his crew enjoy a Michelin starred dinner in Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud. To curtail such an imagined pleasure in the other could well become a sexually invested crusade.

Cael

do you honestly believe that FG/LAB/SF are not going to hammer the poor? I guarantee that they'll all get off on hammering the poor.
I don't doubt that you are correct.

SideysGhost

It's common for psychopaths and sociopaths to have err, "unusual" sexual tendancies.

Lenny is clearly a very very sick man, and I'm not talking about any alleged cancer here. The man's a nutter, plain and simple.

neiphin

FFS people, yes you hate FF and the two Brains. It's popular to kick FF now so i see cowards taking kicks in FF's back.

Don't be so small minded. we'll never get out of this mess if we keep flogging a dead horse and ignore the elephant in the room.
oh ya
the ff argument that their all the same
listen dick head
those basturds have destroyed this country, nobody else ,
the soldiers of destruction no one else
accept your liability in this
and stop throwing sh7te

BlackLion

oh ya
the ff argument that their all the same
listen dick head
those basturds have destroyed this country, nobody else ,
the soldiers of destruction no one else
accept your liability in this
and stop throwing sh7te
MY liability???
I like the way the far-lefts use fear and paint people as "enemies of the state" (Will there be a hitlist drawn up of these so called enemies of the state? will people who speek out against the SWP go missing?)
Will you be there tomorrow throwing stones at the gardas from the back while they pick on innocent protesters in the front?

you are an angry person and anyone would be naive to think SWP are going to bring good change. they'll bring change all right just not the kind that will affect the poor and the weak.

Your weapons are hate and fear, i only have common sense but if i was a betting man i can see myself kicking your ass.

NO Far-Lefts and NO Far-Rights in my country, take your hate and Ignorance elsewhere.

Cael

Your weapons are hate and fear, i only have common sense but if i was a betting man i can see myself kicking your ass.

NO Far-Lefts and NO Far-Rights in my country, take your hate and Ignorance elsewhere.

Hate, fear, ignorance and the extermination of the rural proletariat are what the free state were built on.

maxthedog

It was harsh economic measures too THE POOR, you left that bit out, that Cael was alluding too.

And one only has too look at how he protected Judges from pension levies, too see some merit in Caels claim.

dresden8

It was harsh economic measures too THE POOR, you left that bit out, that Cael was alluding too.

And one only has too look at how he protected Judges from pension levies, too see some merit in Caels claim.
Not to mention senior civil servants getting let off with using their non-automatic bonuses as their pay cut.

Maybe it's not sexual, maybe he's just a snob bollix.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies