Lenihan met the IMF in October, month before he denied bailout talks -MoS

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Cormac McQuinn reports in today's Irish Mail on Sunday that Finance Minister Brian Lenihan "flew to Washington DC to meet IMF officials at the beginning of October ... a month before he denied Ireland was involved in any bailout talks."

The Mail, which got a copy of Lenihan's itinerary say that Lenihan's spokesman referred to the IMF meeting a "normal attendance."

The Mail says it can't establish if Patrick Honohan, the Governor of the Irish Central Bank (and Ireland's representative on the IMF) was present but reports that Honohan spoke at an event in Washington where Olli Rehn was also present.

sport02

Yet one week before the IMF set foot in Dublin, he stood up in the Dail and said there would be no outside intervention, and all along he had a meeting with them a month before.
This man cannot be trusted.

DownTheyGo

Totally, I actually thought it was earlier than October. They have been charades with Irish people's lives.

dent

Can it get any worse ? Of course it can...

Catalpa

Double whammy here along with Gormley letting the cat out of the bag about the Bank Guarantee being agree on the Sunday B4 it actually happened.

I hope Mr Lenihan does not harbour any illusions about being re elected a TD for Dublin West...:evil:

sport02

I wonder was John Gormley aware of that, he seems to be getting his account of certain events recently mixed up with Brian Lenihans.

dent

Yet one week before the IMF set foot in Dublin, he stood up in the Dail and said there would be no outside intervention, and all along he had a meeting with them a month before.
This man cannot be trusted.
He's every bit his father's son.

Northtipp

Is anyone really shocked. Mind you I cant wait to see the FF spin doctors on here go on this one. Fingers will be sore tonight

ellie08

Lenihan will say that these were not bailout talks but talks about what would be needed if we were to have those talks. His legal training means he always plays with words so never get Yes or No answer.
I doubt he needed any legal training, it's probably ingrained in his DNA to say one thing and do the other.

DownTheyGo

I think people are well past his play on words not to start seeing now what has been going on throughout this whole saga.

DownTheyGo

This cannot be covered up !!! If it is, well then... you know its not only FF who are jumping to the bandwagon of the EU & power elite.

Northtipp

This cannot be covered up !!! If it is, well then... you know its not only FF who are jumping to the bandwagon of the EU & power elite.
this will be covered up.Listen anything that risks stopping the budget will be hidden until after Tuesday. Thats includes FG making sure nothing gets out.

Sync

Uh what date specifically did they say Lenihan was there? Cos if it was 8-10 Oct then this is the laziest story I've ever seen in the Mail.

Annual Meetings 2010 : Home

D

Deleted member 17573

I would most ceratinly hope he was talking to them over an extended period and that the decision to opt for a bailout was not made based on just a few days discussion. There appears to be continuing confusion regarding the various steps involved in any major decision such as a bailout. First, you will examine the problem and quantify it, then you will explore options, including a bailout. After this you will select your option - in this case a bailout, and finally you will engage in negotiations on the details of that bailout. Denying that one has applied for a bailout while still engaged in one of the earlier stages of the process would be both accurate and prudent.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Sync said:
Uh what date specifically did they say Lenihan was there? Cos if it was 8-10 Oct then this is the laziest story I've ever seen in the Mail.

Annual Meetings 2010 : Home
It was the week or Lenihan's appearance on Bloomberg. The MoS claims the press office sent out no press releases about the trip, but i'm not so sure that's true, they definitely sent one out promoting his appearance on Bloomberg.

He3

He wanted to make sure we were not bounced into anything. That's his job -

'It is my job to protect the taxpayer and not to let the Irish people be bounced into something'. - Brian Lenihan 18.11.2010

He also knows what his job is not -

"It is not the function of the Government to fund or bail out the banks." - Brian Lenihan, 19.11,08

It can be a little hard to understand how in the end Ireland was bounced into bailing out the banks, but according to the government that is something ordinary people aren't clever enough to understand.

Only people paid €200k plus know that sort of stuff. People like civil servant Kevin Cardiff who earns €50,000 a year more than the British PM. You know who he is don't you?

[fwiw the IMF trip was widely reported at the time:

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/lenihan-to-sell-recovery-at-imf-meeting-2344426.html]

Last edited:

Raketemensch

I don't think he is a liar, I just think his cancer has spread to his brain so he cannot function properly.

Only in Ireland can a dying man be allowed to take make or break decisions for the lives of millions because people feel sorry for him.

Northtipp

Now why did i know the FF spin doctor dept would be on this like a shot. It must be like trying to bail out( bad choice of words if your a FF'r I know) the Titanic with a tea spoon at this stage

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies